• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 126 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
blutto said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-reverses-time-penalties-for-uran-and-bennett/

....all I can say we should be thrilled we didn't see the appearance of the "magical" elbow....otherwise the Tour would have become even more boring than it is now.....what waste of bandwidth....
If there was more needed to confirm the whole thing as a farce, UCI just dutifully delivered.

Hope lives that the Sagan affair experience made some people slap the jury over their fingers at last. Not holding my breath though.

Poland has Sagan friendly route imo, maybe litlle too hard but I think he will be building his form slowly and I think it will be stagehunting from him not GC. However former Eneco will be different kind of story and I think he will absolutely own it. Especially when his main rivals will be exhausted from the Tour. Then he should ride Canadian classics and I think definitely that german one and Plouyay as well. He will be fresher than ever at fall and he could absolutely dominate that one day races and WC RR as well if he will manage his form properly. I am looking forward to it.

Re:

Keram said:
Poland has Sagan friendly route imo, maybe litlle too hard but I think he will be building his form slowly and I think it will be stagehunting from him not GC. However former Eneco will be different kind of story and I think he will absolutely own it. Especially when his main rivals will be exhausted from the Tour. Then he should ride Canadian classics and I think definitely that german one and Plouyay as well. He will be fresher than ever at fall and he could absolutely dominate that one day races and WC RR as well if he will manage his form properly. I am looking forward to it.

I find it unlikely that he will have lost his Tour form completely. Just think about how insanely good that usually is. It's only ten days since the injustice happened, and if he hasn't squandered his shape completely, he is likely to be very good in Poland. But yeah, maybe the route is a little tough. It also depends on his opposition. If Kwiato is riding and can maintain his Tour form, he might be a contender too, but that is a difficult exercise.

I would like that he wont be in good form in Poland yet because he could be already fading at the time of WC RR. I imagine that he will lost as most of the form as possible now and he will building it towards to WC where he will be at his peak. It is true that his low form is allways very good though. So he could be very good in Poland. One thing is certain he will be definitely fresher than usual :cool:

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
sprints n stones said:
tobydawq said:
sprints n stones said:
That's great news. Looking forward to seeing him racing again. He's going to have quite a busy programme before World Championships.

Yeah, I think he will pretty much ride all WT races except the Vuelta. At least those of the old WT calendar.

Yup, you're right thanks. Just looked through the list only other one he's not doing is San Sebastian and that clashes
with Poland. Juraj is representing the family in that!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that race. Nothing for him there. I guess he is not defending his European title?

Cycling news main site now saying he is expected to defend European title. Reading the rules Slovakia can send 6 other riders as well, as the Champion rides in addition to the National Quota. More good news!

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Sagan will participate on BinckBank Tour 7-13.8.2017
37mImjk.jpg

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Anyone read the recent cyclingnews articles about the incident?

Mariën: "There must be a video referee, just like in football, that should be in front of the TV during the sprint to concentrate only on the sprint itself, then we can decide immediately and not look at the images later."

Bora DS: "I'm surprised to read that Philippe Mariën has asked for the introduction of a video judge for the sprints because when we tried to show the UCI commissaires high-definition video evidence during the Tour de France that Peter Sagan did nothing wrong they weren't interested in seeing it"

I don't quite understand ... so ... did they make a decision without watching a replay? :surprised:

Something doesn't quite add up here.

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

deValtos said:
I don't quite understand ... so ... did they make a decision without watching a replay? :surprised:

Something doesn't quite add up here.
Simples.
When a decision is made externally and a justification is sought for it, this is what happens. The first rule in such a scenario is not to allow the "wrong" evidence to be presented. The second rule is to constrain the defense - this time they outright abolished the right of defense. They apparently went as far as to advise the jury to not watch any news as they might see the evidence by accident while a reversion of the decision was still possible. Wonderful.

Now, after 30 days.
The jury knows fully well their decision is indefensible. So they use that carefully prepared defense of "we did not see any evidence and Sagan did not say anything either". The narrative now goes "It was just a mistake, we did not know, the process is to blame.".

That it would turn out this way was obvious from the start to anyone familiar with the concept of political processes. No surprises.

What is surprising is the audacity to proclaim that a refusal to look at evidence or even hear out the defense somehow justifies the "mistake". That is even more damning than the decision itself. These puppets are the worst of the worst and the sooner they get removed from any decision-making role the better. Bora should sue-out their shoes from under them.

On the positive side, this will likely force the UCI to put in processes which will avoid at least the most blatant political rulings in the future. And for that everyone who likes professional cycling should be happy.

That this whole affair will afford the Sagan brand, and the person, a stronger position in the sport goes without saying. Time will tell whether that was a good thing or a bad thing.

Daniel Oss signed by BORA. So Sagan gets "THE DOMESTIC" finally. I am quite curious, how will this end up. With OSS, Burghard and developing Posltberger Sagan should not get isolated in any of the spring classics anymore. Or is any of them leaving?

Screecher said:
tobydawq said:
Monstrous performance today. He will be very hard to beat in next week's Binckbank Tour.
More like completely spent after last 2 stages of TdP where he went really deep.

He normally gets rid of fatigue impressively quickly (cf how he rides in the Tour) and I think he will be ready when the important stages get going next weekend. And this will be on terrain that suits him perfectly and not like what he has been through the last couple of days. And luckily, the Binckbank Tour is going back to what it was before last year, so that should be to his benefit.

Screecher said:
More like completely spent after last 2 stages of TdP where he went really deep.
Doubt so. Remember his previous TdF appearances, when he went for breaks, helped Contador on windy days, ..., again and again. His recovery appears to be very good.