• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 143 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Any chance he was bad because he is focussing more on climbing because he wants to win the WC RR again? That would explain his strong tirreno adriatico performance
Yes, Italian media have reported that he's looking leaner (at least 2kg lighter), so that could make sense. Of course that was already a problem in 2014 when he was part of the Cannondale/former Liquigas squad, so I don't know why he'd try to do the same thing once again.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Screecher said:
Sagan era is over. Sagan is fading. How many times have we heard that already? I wonder what the reasoning for his current form is, because he looked good in January.
I don't think I have a heard that one single time.
I could only watch the last twenty km today so I didn't see how he looked but if he really just wasn't strong enough it would be interesting to know what happened. He probably f*cked up his preparation because otherwise I don't see how Sagan, who was the strongest rider in almost all cobbles classics he has entered in the last two years, suddenly becomes something like the 20th best cobbles rider in the world.

That's one big lie.

El Pistolero said:
Gigs_98 said:
Screecher said:
Sagan era is over. Sagan is fading. How many times have we heard that already? I wonder what the reasoning for his current form is, because he looked good in January.
I don't think I have a heard that one single time.
I could only watch the last twenty km today so I didn't see how he looked but if he really just wasn't strong enough it would be interesting to know what happened. He probably f*cked up his preparation because otherwise I don't see how Sagan, who was the strongest rider in almost all cobbles classics he has entered in the last two years, suddenly becomes something like the 20th best cobbles rider in the world.

That's one big lie.
He made many tactical mistakes but physically I think he was the strongest cobbles rider in 2016 on par with Cancellara and probably on par with Van Avermaet in 2017. Maybe Gilbert was actually the strongest rider in the Ronde last year but since he was on a completely different tactic that's very hard to judge.

Mayomaniac said:
Gigs_98 said:
Any chance he was bad because he is focussing more on climbing because he wants to win the WC RR again? That would explain his strong tirreno adriatico performance
Yes, Italian media have reported that he's looking leaner (at least 2kg lighter), so that could make sense. Of course that was already a problem in 2014 when he was part of the Cannondale/former Liquigas squad, so I don't know why he'd try to do the same thing once again.

And at Tinkoff. His coach Patxi Vila talked about how when he tried to lose weight to improve climbing, it didn't improve but everything else got worse.

2017 was an unusually strong year. Its hard to judge who of Gilbert, Greg and Sagan was the strongest, but I still stick with Greg there despite of Gilbert having the most spectacular performance. So Sagan is probably 3rd there despite being strong and probably over the whole cobbled season the best he had been - but how much did he win? Nothing really. Like this year where he have been much worse for some reason - Bora can't be too pleased with his classics performances so far, they have been disappointing, especially result-wise. This year i think all 3 of them are worse, especially Sagan, but the level is much more equal in general. There are no superman/supermen.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if tried to experiment with some fancy stuff again due to the WCRR. Not too bright, but it doesn't really surprise me with Sagan.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
2017 was an unusually strong year. Its hard to judge who of Gilbert, Greg and Sagan was the strongest, but I still stick with Greg there despite of Gilbert having the most spectacular performance. So Sagan is probably 3rd there despite being strong and probably over the whole cobbled season the best he had been - but how much did he win? Nothing really. Like this year where he have been much worse for some reason - Bora can't be too pleased with his classics performances so far, they have been disappointing, especially result-wise. This year i think all 3 of them are worse, especially Sagan, but the level is much more equal in general. There are no superman/supermen.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if tried to experiment with some fancy stuff again due to the WCRR. Not too bright, but it doesn't really surprise me with Sagan.

I agree with your assessment. I think Gilbert was the most spectacular and also the most surprising. This year both of them seem to be more typical of what you would expect from them. Sagan, however, is definitely off more than Gilbert and Van Avermaet are. If Sagan is experimenting to try to go after this year's Worlds he's in for a world of hurt this year.

Re:

tobydawq said:
His worst performance since autumn 2014? Maybe on par with spring 2015.

Horrible to watch.

I really hope this was a one-off but he usually never has bad days, so this is very ominous. Unless he's scheming but I don't think that is realistic at all.
True Sagan fan bois know he's sandbagging so people don't mark him in the classics HOWEVER he is locked in an epic battle with GVA who is using the exact same tactic to neutralize him.

I think it's more about tactics than form. Maybe he's not accustomed to such a strong team :lol:
In Tirreno stage 3, where you guys said that he was bad he was still the best classic guy after Benoot and GVA(and Kwiatkowski but Kwiatkowski is not just a classic rider anymore). In the fifth stage Adam Yates was Purito-like but Sagan was really good. GVA was nowhere to be seen.
In MSR due to super strong Bora he didn't go on Poggio but stayed with the peloton. Than, in the sprint, when he knew that Nibali will win he was beaten by Ewan, Demare and Kristoff. No surprise for me.
I didn't watch yesterday race but didn't he crashed at the beggining of the race?
I fully expect him and GVA to be the strongests riders in Ronde but unlike like year where only Gilbert was on their level(maybe Naesen as well) this year I think Vanmarcke will be better and Kwiatkowski and Benoot will also be very close to them.

Lets come clean. With this form Sagan had no business in Ronde and Roubaix. I never saw Sagan so weak at spring races. He was far better even in 2015 when he was cooked at the end of E3 and ended 30th. He can win tommorow though. Bora need do a Boratrain and play it for bunch sprint. If he will be active I am afraid he will blow up himself again.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Keram said:
Lets come clean. With this form Sagan had no business in Ronde and Roubaix. I never saw Sagan so weak at spring races. He was far better even in 2015 when he was cooked at the end of E3 and ended 30th. He can win tommorow though. Bora need do a Boratrain and play it for bunch sprint. If he will be active I am afraid he will blow up himself again.

Gent-Wevelgem has become too hard for a bunch sprint these days lol... Do some of you guys even bother to look up the route?

El Pistolero said:
Keram said:

Gent-Wevelgem has become too hard for a bunch sprint these days lol... Do some of you guys even bother to look up the route?

But Gent is easier. Comparatively speaking.

Apparently, Sagan was unhappy with the fact that Gilbert was first following wheels in the chasing group, then attacking. Maybe somebody should explain Peter (and perhaps Bora, after Strade Bianche) what team tactics are. Seriously, how can you not see that was what every other rider should do in that situation?

Re:

Blanco said:
He becomes annoying with his comments how everybody rides against him. Yes they do! Get over it!

It really is more and more annoying. The sooner he get's over it the better. For him and for the fans too. However, with quicksteppers finding out last year how they should ride the classics it will be very difficult to ride against them. Probably, even Bora and BMC will need to work together. But then, BMC couldn't be BMC. It seems that worst that could happen to Sagan was the retirement of Cancellara.

Yeah, the same thing about everybody riding against him and his nonchalant comments about winning the right way and it doesn't matter, its just a bike race. Annoying in the long run - get over yourself and start winning some classics on Bora, thats what they pay you for anyway.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
Apparently, Sagan was unhappy with the fact that Gilbert was first following wheels in the chasing group, then attacking. Maybe somebody should explain Peter (and perhaps Bora, after Strade Bianche) what team tactics are. Seriously, how can you not see that was what every other rider should do in that situation?

Why would you assume he doesn't understand why others are glued to his wheel? You can still be annoyed by it nonetheless, you know.

Flamin said:
Jagartrott said:

Why would you assume he doesn't understand why others are glued to his wheel? You can still be annoyed by it nonetheless, you know.

I think that the problem is in constantly complaining about it, not being annoyed with it.

tomorrow said:
Flamin said:
Jagartrott said:

I think that the problem is in constantly complaining about it, not being annoyed with it.

Does he? Could simply be addressing it.

Flamin said:
tomorrow said:
Flamin said:
Jagartrott said:

Does he? Could simply be addressing it.

One time, two times it is addressing. For some time it's complaining, although he always says that "Thats how it is."

El Pistolero said:
Keram said:

:D. So it was bunch sprint after all although not Bora for Sagan done it but QS for Viviani.

TRENDING THREADS