• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 163 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So after this TdF can we agree not to say things like "Sagan isn't a pure sprinter"? He IS a pure sprinter who also happens to be good at other things...a versatile pure sprinter. Does he have the top speed of say Kittel when Kittel is 100%, not quite maybe, but pretty close. Plus several of the top speed guys are either 100% or 90% whereas PS is 100% or 99%.

Re:

jmdirt said:
So after this TdF can we agree not to say things like "Sagan isn't a pure sprinter"? He IS a pure sprinter who also happens to be good at other things...a versatile pure sprinter. Does he have the top speed of say Kittel when Kittel is 100%, not quite maybe, but pretty close. Plus several of the top speed guys are either 100% or 90% whereas PS is 100% or 99%.

"Pure sprinter" -> Someone who functions only a sprinter and not much else

Sagan is not a pure sprinter
Enrique Sanz is much slower than Sagan. But he's still a pure sprinter.

Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
SHAD0W93 said:
Oh, that is terrible. At least they are cordial to help their child.
Why do people say "that's terrible", "sorry to hear that", or the like when couples split? Its unfortunate that it didn't work out, but going their own ways might be, likely is, a good thing.

Because it is a sad thing to happen no matter the circumstances. This could be a good thing for both that they are breaking up because they don't love each other anymore or for whatever reason. It is sad because someone you spent intimate time with, got married to, mother to your child, and you thought you knew the person only to be surprised by this to happen.

Getting a divorce, breakup, or even losing a friend is never fun, especially when you never saw it coming. We don't know the details but both are most likely sad about it in someway.

Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
jmdirt said:

"Pure sprinter" -> Someone who functions only a sprinter and not much else

Sagan is not a pure sprinter
Enrique Sanz is much slower than Sagan. But he's still a pure sprinter.
By that definition he is not a pure sprinter. But my assertion is that he IS a pure sprinter who can also do other things really well. I don't know exactly when to point at, but most pure sprinters also used to be able to do more so maybe PS is a throw-back. Just for fun, I'm going to blame Cipo even though he actually had a few other tricks at one time. Maybe Abdou? I don't know...

Maybe the semantics here are that some guys are ONLY sprinters, while others are VERSATILE sprinters. To me the PURE part is the physical ability to sprint well...again, maybe just semantics.

Worth noting again how good his team has been. This may be the strongest group of support riders he has ever had in a major race. And all of the big lumps made it over the Alps with no difficulties. Postlberger and Burghardt were particularly prominent today, but they e all done a good job. They don’t provide a final lead out, but they do everything else. Sagan, of course is more capable than most of faring for himself, but having a strong team makes it all that bit easier.

I think Sagan shouldn't have gone in the break today and instead should have done that tomorrow. Yeah he ended up being quite good today as well but I don't think he ever had much of a chance to really win while tomorrow he would be one of my favorites. He would probably be able to limit his losses on the climb and then could probably catch most climbers on the descent and the flat where he would be by far superior. After all there is often a lot of regrouping on these kind of stages.

Gigs_98 said:
I think Sagan shouldn't have gone in the break today and instead should have done that tomorrow. Yeah he ended up being quite good today as well but I don't think he ever had much of a chance to really win while tomorrow he would be one of my favorites. He would probably be able to limit his losses on the climb and then could probably catch most climbers on the descent and the flat where he would be by far superior. After all there is often a lot of regrouping on these kind of stages.
I disagree, noone will work with Sagan tomorrow, if he even makes it to the front after the last climb.

Gigs_98 said:
12km at 6% is too hard I think. It's gonna take 3 times as long to climb as today's climb.

I'm pretty sure he lost a minute on Col de Manse a few years ago, and tomorrow's stage will be eyed by every decent climber who's out of GC contention.

If anything I think Sagan maybe should've tried to be in the same move as Stuyven today.

I think some of the riders in today's break didn't necessarily plan beforehand to join it, but it kind of happened because sitting near the front is just the best position to be in heavy crosswinds. Then Sky literally sat up and it was more or less a free ticket so might as well pick it up.

Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
12km at 6% is too hard I think. It's gonna take 3 times as long to climb as today's climb.

I'm pretty sure he lost a minute on Col de Manse a few years ago, and tomorrow's stage will be eyed by every decent climber who's out of GC contention.

If anything I think Sagan maybe should've tried to be in the same move as Stuyven today.

You were proved right today. Great post

TRENDING THREADS