• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 206 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah he looked better sliding on the asphalt than me in an average social situation. Plus he got up immediately and was chilling. Truly one of a kind, hope he can sprint again soon!
He recovers from a turfin' like a proper mountain biker. You gotta get up and finish because you're in the middle of nowhere and it's getting dark! Tough guy and he'll be motivated.

He did contest the sprint today though! He was off his best, obviously, but squeezed in a fifth place.

So is green still on the table? Merlier and Philipsen have decided to share the spoils, Ewan is out, Bol/Bouhanni don't seem too interested... the main rivals are apparently Cav and Matthews at this point. Cav can win a lot of these sprints now that he's back to his old self, and we've seen he's always got perfect leadouts by Mørkøv even in the intermediate sprints. With Colbrelli out there as well, it's quite an open race.

He did contest the sprint today though! He was off his best, obviously, but squeezed in a fifth place.

So is green still on the table? Merlier and Philipsen have decided to share the spoils, Ewan is out, Bol/Bouhanni don't seem too interested... the main rivals are apparently Cav and Matthews at this point. Cav can win a lot of these sprints now that he's back to his old self, and we've seen he's always got perfect leadouts by Mørkøv even in the intermediate sprints. With Colbrelli out there as well, it's quite an open race.

There's a reasonable chance for Cavendish to OTL unfortunately. He'll do everything to avoid it, but he didn't have a full Tour prep, and he already had some problems with the time limit occasionally when he was stronger and younger.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sure he crashed in MSR sprint on the Via Roma... Maybe the year Démare won and Bouhani had a mechanical as he opened up his sprint.
Nope. Gaviria crashed in front of him, but he pulled off one of the all-time epic bike saves.

I think he is capable of more than he's shown but is very careful not to get relegated. Meanwhile he was dodging chopper moves at each sprint including the finale from the other riders....
There is very little respect for other competitors among many of the field. Crashing a GT contender used to jeopardize your employment. No more.
Hopefully some hillier stages will offer him opportunities to do what he can do. If Cav starts climbing well all of a sudden then there are other issues to address. Cav's sprinting is like his old form but he is definitely seeing the wheels to follow and gaps better than ever.

I think he is capable of more than he's shown but is very careful not to get relegated. Meanwhile he was dodging chopper moves at each sprint including the finale from the other riders....
There is very little respect for other competitors among many of the field. Crashing a GT contender used to jeopardize your employment. No more.
Hopefully some hillier stages will offer him opportunities to do what he can do. If Cav starts climbing well all of a sudden then there are other issues to address. Cav's sprinting is like his old form but he is definitely seeing the wheels to follow and gaps better than ever.
Sagan has built a reputation as an aggressive rider, but for sure the others have been no saints in this Tour so far!

Btw, I just read the latest Secret Pro article on cyclingweekly. He mentions Sagan in... let's say not very flattering terms (he claims he doesn't look out for danger, has little care for fellow riders and is just generally a bit of a d*ck). What do you people of the thread think about that?

• Wow
Sagan has built a reputation as an aggressive rider, but for sure the others have been no saints in this Tour so far!

Btw, I just read the latest Secret Pro article on cyclingweekly. He mentions Sagan in... let's say not very flattering terms (he claims he doesn't look out for danger, has little care for fellow riders and is just generally a bit of a d*ck). What do you people of the thread think about that?
Well he doesn't seem like the type of rider who'd be friends/on good terms with everyone in the peloton. I think it's about how much he respects a certain person and he treats that person accordingly.

I thought the criticism was way over the top. I guess a rider who is as good as him to get into position is riding a bit aggressively, so I'm not saying he is a saint but the article also says that Sagan's general concentration level is very low and that he often causes crashes. Which literally never happens, so that is pure bullcrap.

Also, you never see him in a heated discussion (yesterday, he told Mørkøv off for his silly maneouvres in the intermediate sprint but definitely not in an aggressive way) and he always offers the stage winner his congratulations immediately after crossing the line, so he's definitely not all bad.

But I guess it's easy to criticise one against whom you are holding a grudge if you write anonymously. It's also very cowardly.

I think that Secret Pro is generally a bit of a d*ck!

TRENDING THREADS