• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Peter Sagan: Tour contender?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
movingtarget said:
The same debate has been had about Cancellara and Gilbert. They can't handle the mountains and they are too heavy like Sagan.

well, I would definately not say sagan can't win some gt, as constantly he is doing stuff that he shouldn't be able to do. However, for now he stated several times that he has no intention to concentrate on GC. And I think he won't. Unless he will get bored by wining most of the classics that he takes part year after year. And if that would happen, we can still look forward to several years of his domination in the classics.

317-PIC350491985.jpg

Zweistein said:
Andy Schleck has won LBL.
Frank has won Amstel.
Valverde has won Amstel.
Cunego has won Amstel.

I don't think it has really ever been that common for GC riders to win classics. Hinault winning Paris Roubaix is a pretty odd fluke.

Hinault also won LBL, Amstel, Lombardia, Fleche Wallone, Gent Wegegem... but that being said his palmares is so outstanding that only Merckx is greater. So he doesn't really count.

theyoungest said:
Why is it that every good rider has to be considered a possible Tour contender? Cancellara, Gilbert, Sagan, Devolder (;))... it's like saying Messi could make a great central defender. He could, but he would need a complete transformation.

You win this thread.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
If you think that Sagan will win the TDF in the next five years the British bookmaker William Hill are offering odds of 12/1. They must have been impressed by his performance at TA as the other week it was 16/1.

TRENDING THREADS