• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Peter Sagan: Tour contender?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
if sagan was a rider in the 80s though, he would be kelly like, true that.

Sagan could probably win a Vuelta in the 80s. They didn't use a lot of mountains in the 70s-80s in the Vuelta back then. Freddy Maertens laconically said "Do they have mountains in Spain?" after he won the Vuelta.

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Were you expecting him to hold top form for a whole season? o_O
That's pretty impressive what he did last year given how young he is

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
For starters, he didn't win a single race anymore after the Tour. Even lost a race like Veenendaal-Veenendaal.

what does that have to do with him being tired at the end of the tour? besides the guy was 22 and was in fact better in the third week. I remember that mountainstage where he was up with the first until a break rode away after that with fedrigo I think?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
what does that have to do with him being tired at the end of the tour? besides the guy was 22 and was in fact better in the third week. I remember that mountainstage where he was up with the first until a break rode away after that with fedrigo I think?

Most of his stage wins came from the first week. He got beaten by Lulu Sanchez in a breakaway stage later for example. It's not like his form was bad in the third week, but definitely not as good as in the first two weeks.

If you have a good recovery you'll also recover quickly after a GT. Boonen for example has horrible recovery and doesn't come out well after the Tour. It's why he skipped it last year to focus on the Olympics instead.

I know Sagan is young, but we both know that excuse doesn't really go for him, he's a fully matured pro cyclist, physically at least.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I think Sagan will win Milan San Remo, Gent Wevelgem, Flanders, E3, Amstel Gold and LBL this year but I can see him struggling in Fleche Wallone and not doing Roubaix. I don't think he will win the Tour though.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
I think Sagan will win Milan San Remo, Gent Wevelgem, Flanders, E3, Amstel Gold and LBL this year but I can see him struggling in Fleche Wallone and not doing Roubaix. I don't think he will win the Tour though.

I don't think his program includes FW and LBL.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Most of his stage wins came from the first week. He got beaten by Lulu Sanchez in a breakaway stage later for example. It's not like his form was bad in the third week, but definitely not as good as in the first two weeks.

If you have a good recovery you'll also recover quickly after a GT. Boonen for example has horrible recovery and doesn't come out well after the Tour. It's why he skipped it last year to focus on the Olympics instead.

I know Sagan is young, but we both know that excuse doesn't really go for him, he's a fully matured pro cyclist, physically at least.

he won most stages in the first week because there were the stages suited to him. also his peak was in the first tourweek, as he was already terrific in tour de suisse.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I believe it does, he only skips p-r

http://www.petersagan.net/#

All the articles I've read seem to suggest he has the same program as last year, even his official site. Boonen was his idol back in the day, so I guess he really wants to win the Ronde van Vlaanderen. So his main peak will be in the period between Milan-San Remo and the Ronde van Vlaanderen. After that his form will probably be a couple of % less. And that's a lot in pro cycling.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
He'd be stupid not to do LBL, even if he is not yet strong enough to win it he should do it for the experience as he is surely going to be a major player there in the future.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
He'd be stupid not to do LBL, even if he is not yet strong enough to win it he should do it for the experience as he is surely going to be a major player there in the future.

100% agree.

Sad that only few do it straight from San Remo to LBL: Gilbert, Chavanel, iglinsky. Kroon, Nuyens, few others.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:

Sagan being a major player at LBL? He'd either need to dramatically change his physique or do something that can only be mentioned in the Clinic.

His talents lie in Amstel if you want to talk Ardennes.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
Sagan being a major player at LBL? He'd either need to dramatically change his physique or do something that can only be mentioned in the Clinic.

If iglinsky can win LBL, Sagan also can, I say.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:

You have no idea what Sagan can do. If you can survive Chieti like he did last year you're already one of the best punchers. And he doesn't need to attack. All classics are made for him, except Il Lomabardia.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
http://www.petersagan.net/#

All the articles I've read seem to suggest he has the same program as last year, even his official site. Boonen was his idol back in the day, so I guess he really wants to win the Ronde van Vlaanderen. So his main peak will be in the period between Milan-San Remo and the Ronde van Vlaanderen. After that his form will probably be a couple of % less. And that's a lot in pro cycling.

why do you have to turn everything into something boonen/belgium?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:

what? every post I notice of you is riddled with incredible incompetence of understanding anythigng regarding cycling. of course sagan can win lbl, lbl isn't a climbers race if that is what you mean :rolleyes:

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
You have no idea what Sagan can do. If you can survive Chieti like he did last year you're already one of the best punchers. And he doesn't need to attack. All classics are made for him, except Il Lomabardia.

Even Lombardia might be good for him, at least the profile. Only problem might be the time of the year, if he proves to get worse the longer the season lasts.

On the other hand, he once won in Madrid in Vuelta´s last stage, so this problem might be none, also.