• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Peter Sagan: Tour contender?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
I think Sagan will win Milan San Remo, Gent Wevelgem, Flanders, E3, Amstel Gold and LBL this year but I can see him struggling in Fleche Wallone and not doing Roubaix. I don't think he will win the Tour though.

if gilbert is in top form then its not certain that sagan will win Amstel Gold. LBL is highly unlikely due to the climbs being much longer. Im not sure if his endurance on longer climbs is good enough. Milan san remo is certain. I can't think of anyone being able to beat him. Maybe is Goss makes it to the finale?
If cancellara is in top shape then he will be sagan's super domestique and runner up to all the classics they enter together apart from roubaix

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
sagan is of much higher level than gilbert. and his endurance for lbl climbs is fine, he f;n won on chieti which is 3 km, there are no climbs like chieti in lbl :rolleyes:

I think this years tirreno showed perfectly that he can win every monument (still not sure about lombardia though) but that he lacks the ability to compete in longer climbs. Yesterday he was totally spent after lanciano, but today he looked pretty comfortable on the short, steep climbs.

No, he won't win the tour. But he doesn't need to.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
GT meh

Sagan should become the first man to do the coveted Paris-Roubaix Red Bull Rampage double and bring millions of kids into cycling by being cool and with huge skillz

Ryo Hazuki said:
sagan is of much higher level than gilbert. and his endurance for lbl climbs is fine, he f;n won on chieti which is 3 km, there are no climbs like chieti in lbl :rolleyes:

Agree with the first part, but not with the last.
Chieti is 1.1km @ 12%, Stockeu is 1km @ 13%, last 1.1 km of redoute is 11%, steepest part of roche au faucons is 1.1km @ 11%.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Sagan keeps winning races that we said were too hard from him. Wouldn't rule him out from any of the classics apart from Roubaix (yet ;) )

quick question.how the hell does sagan climb so well? im not trying to insinuate anything but he must be the best sprinter/climber ever?! it seems the only thing he cant do is massive mountains and he's not too awful at those! i guess yr just gonna say 'talent' but it does seem incredible how a guy can beat cav and greipel in a sprint one day and then climb with the best on another

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
willbick said:
i thought MTB was mainly about going downhill?!

There's plenty of uphill that comes with MTB, lots of MTB's are great climbers. Cadel Evans for one, he was a mountain biker before turning to road.

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
willbick said:
quick question.how the hell does sagan climb so well? im not trying to insinuate anything but he must be the best sprinter/climber ever?! it seems the only thing he cant do is massive mountains and he's not too awful at those! i guess yr just gonna say 'talent' but it does seem incredible how a guy can beat cav and greipel in a sprint one day and then climb with the best on another

do you ride your bike often? if you do then you know there's an certain ammount of power that you can sustain for a long period but if you want you can ride above that level, using your anaerobic capacity, problem is lactate acumulates very quickly and soon you won't be able to sustain it anymore
It so happens Peter Sagan is a rider with a huge anaerobic capacity just like Gilbert, they can ride in the red for long periods
obv they can't ride forever in the red, but they can ride much longer than moster riders

willbick said:
well whatever you say. does anyone agree he must be the best sprinter/climber ever?
No. When Valverde was younger he was a little worse sprinter than Sagan is now, but he was a much, much better climber for the long mountains.

Please, let's stop confusing the terms "climber" and "puncheur". Getting over hills doesn't make you a good climber. Gilbert isn't a great climber either, for example. But he's arguably the best puncheur.

What's Sagan's best result on a MTF, 50th? :rolleyes:

maltiv said:
No. When Valverde was younger he was a little worse sprinter than Sagan is now, but he was a much, much better climber for the long mountains.

Please, let's stop confusing the terms "climber" and "puncheur". Getting over hills doesn't make you a good climber. Gilbert isn't a great climber either, for example. But he's arguably the best puncheur.

What's Sagan's best result on a MTF, 50th? :rolleyes:

ok fair point but only 'a little worse'?? really?

TRENDING THREADS