• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil and Paul

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
"There's three Radioshack riders in this group, and with Frank Schleck already finished, they will actually extend their lead in the King of the Mountains."

PosterBill said:
I am pretty sure I heard

"Look at him now, he'll be Screwing ..uh, the screw" I think he clearly meant tightening the screw

omfglmfao :p

i alternate b/w being annoyed by them for errors, the mis-ID's, the corporate shilling, etc, etc. and lol'ing here reading the latest quotes. I wish I would've caught Moniger's reference to dopers lingering for 10-12 years ha.

A previous poster mentioned the Specialized ad - I agree 100%. What a great spot, and something that MUST resonate w/ the majority of fans who have at least some exposure to P&P. When we were younger of course we rode along to our own commentary as we imitated those two, calling out our own attacks, sprints, suffering, etc.

Just hoping that Phil doesn't continue past his sell-by date, if you think he hasn't already. There's more affection for P2 than I initially realized and I can understand why - especially the grandfather reference made by a previous poster.

I actually watched Eurosport in my office today on my computer instead of the HD feed from NBC on the flatscreen w/ P&P, and, it was somewhat bittersweet to realize how much more I enjoyed the actual experience of watching the race while listening to Kelly and Harmon. I was delighted that Harmon was predicting Rolland would come-off on the descent but Sean was insisting he wouldn't (though of course I wasn't happy or enthusiastic for the rider to actually crash), and I was thinking the same thing, that he was looking sketchy and a crash seemed inevitable.

Then I thought I'd give Harmon a shout-out via Twitter and compliment him on calling it so well, and imagine my surprise when I saw he was following me and that by following him in return I could send him a message directly, which I then did. Better still when I heard back shortly thereafter - nice guy. Not sure what I'll do for the remaining stages...the HD video feed is so sexy, but I can't pipe the audio in from my computer since they're in different rooms.

Lastly, a previous poster cited the artificial drama P&P try to create as being an impediment to effective commentary on their part - I agree and I saw that today when they were trying to build excitement around riding that didn't require the announcers' help to make compelling, or which would never be compelling no matter how much the commentators tried to hype it...

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
joe_papp said:
omfglmfao :p
I was delighted that Harmon was predicting Rolland would come-off on the descent but Sean was insisting he wouldn't (though of course I wasn't happy or enthusiastic for the rider to actually crash), and I was thinking the same thing, that he was looking sketchy and a crash seemed inevitable.

The oddest thing was that once he got back up, he started descending really well. Maybe the ability to take his own line/follow the motorbike/whatever.

May 26, 2012
Visit site
About 2 minutes after Nibali set off on the attack
"And look at Nibali! 2 Minutes 30! He is riding himself into yellow tonight"
"Actually Phil, you're looking at Rolland's time"
I remember the one about screwing the screw too.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Casualfan said:
About 2 minutes after Nibali set off on the attack
"And look at Nibali! 2 Minutes 30! He is riding himself into yellow tonight"
"Actually Phil, you're looking at Rolland's time"
I remember the one about screwing the screw too.

Haha yes. Probably my favorite of the day.

alberto.legstrong said:
Nothing really about Phil and Paul here. Sorry if mis-posted. Did anyone see the little commentary at the start of Wednesday's broadcast? Roll tried to stick up for Sky (Wiggins, the hero of this new Bread and Water era, GAG!! Does this guy - Roll- even have a conscience?) and Moninger had his little say about how it can take 10 or 12 years for the dopers to finally be brought to justice. The producers or whomever didn't have Roll on screen when he was stating that but I don't think I needed to see him to know his face must have been totally twisted to have to hear that on a broadcast. Taking the lord's name in vain. I have no doubt there were repercussions during that commercial break or subsequently.

LOL!!
This made me laugh :D
imagery...

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
egtalbot said:
The oddest thing was that once he got back up, he started descending really well. Maybe the ability to take his own line/follow the motorbike/whatever.

he was being screwed up in his lines when he was following. The astana rider was breaking too late often and over cooking it which put the guys behind him in difficulty.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
"george hincape is always by cadel evans' side in the mountains for as long as he can"

according to Phil TJ is from Boiseman Montana

I fear this thread has become more a tribute to the men.

that said: the manner in which this NBC sports team has approached the LA and latest Arrest etc is quite mater of fact. They purposely take the time to deliver just the facts and allow the viewer to interpret the news with in the context ofthe broadcast/race/and or their own knowledge of facts

When was the last time any American broadcast ever allowed the viewer to interpret the news for themselves? props for that.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
from Phil with 2K to go "The way he's riding right now, Wiggins could win this group sprint."

And of course we got "Argee Bargee" (no idea how one spells that) again as a description of Goss hooking Sagan in the final straight.

"As the riders continue to climb on the climb" was my favourite from yesterday, I think. In general, "as they continue now" must be Phil's most used phrase.

It was really annoying that they didn't notice that Menchov was gone until a few kms from the finish. Then he "must have been dropped by the accelerations that got rid of Evans". He had been gone for hours and hours, for crying out loud.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
What I'm enjoying about P&P and Bob this year is NOT hearing the name Lance Armstrong :D

They only stopped mentioning his name part way into this year. Speculation is that a directive was given to forbid the LA name as much as possible, due to the current negative publicity of the man. The prologue was filled with LA references, which sickened a lot of stomaches.

orangerider said:
They only stopped mentioning his name part way into this year. Speculation is that a directive was given to forbid the LA name as much as possible, due to the current negative publicity of the man. The prologue was filled with LA references, which sickened a lot of stomaches.

I know, but I haven't heard it in days now :)

Yes, it is nice watching something happen on the road without them saying that it reminds them of "a certain Lance Armstrong back in 200X."

For a few years there it seemed like the Tour de France was essentially a 3-week demonstration of people doing things that Lance Armstrong already did, and better.

Phil takes the pizz!

Did anyone catch what Phil said in response to Paul during Friday's stage, when he was blathering on about hot air balloons or helium or hydrogen and some dead brit named Cavendish??? Something like:

"We've been talking a lot of hot air all day, Paul, so let's hope he/[we?] can finish off with a victory here."

ROTFLMFAO!

Phil's reputation is rehabilitated one-click against recent complaints as he shows a willingness to be self-deprecating. Perhaps one of the youngsters on their production team was reading this thread lol. ;)

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Here is my made up Phil and Paul commentary.

Imagine, if you will, a chilly Sunday in early April on the cobbles of Paris-Roubaix, when someone jumps out of the pack.......

Paul: Well look at this cheeky move! This is impressive. And you know, this man is really a strong bi' rider.

Phil: Yes, and as we've seen in the past this is the type of move that can win the Tour of Flanders.

Paul: Actually Phil I think you mean Paris-Roubaix.

Phil: Well yes I just got a little excited there and forgot where we were.

Paul: And this strong man hopes to forget about his competitors and just ride his own personal time trial to the finish.

And to be honest, this is what goes on in my head when I go out on my rides.

I'm becoming less irritated (only slightly) by Phil and genuinely concerned about his mental decline. Yesterday once Peraud and Millar pulled clear he seemed to forget about the other three breakaway riders, making some comment about how they didn't have to worry about anyone else because the peloton was so far behind. Paul corrected him quickly but it was not a good moment.