• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil Anderson's expression and comments when talking about Armstrong

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bagster said:
Apologies Bro, it may have been your sock puppet, Thoughtforfood, I can't tell you two apart sometimes.

BroDeal and Thoughtforfood are two of the most respected posters on English language cycling messageboards. You should pay deference and respect to guys who know the ins and outs of the sport.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
:)I agree with Lance Armstrong's comments about what makes a true champion. A true champion is one who does sacrifice and helps out a team and respects everyone!!!
Full credit to Fabian Cancellera who went back to help out a fellow rider who was injured Jens Voigt – not only did he go back to get all the team drink bottles but he went back and helped out a fellow rider and did not think of himself. Sheer admiration to you Fabian and to Lance who has come back from what he has been fighting and also to Stuart O’Grady – These are true champions who have fought against all odds to continue to doing what they love!!!
As Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen had said – YOU NEVER LEAVE A WOUNDED RIDER TO FEND FOR THEMSELVES!!!!
Anyone who does this shows no sportsmanship to this sport, everyone helps out everybody no matter who they are!!!
Being a champion means being also a fearless one and a strong one to comeback such as Lance. How would everybody else have handled what he had gone through and made people aware of it!!!!
Put away those comments and put yourself in his shoes and those who did do the ride, champions such as Stuart O’Grady who suffered a horrific accident and made his comeback too!!!!
Sheer admiration to each and everyone of the riders – Well done to Heinrich Haussler.
Sheer delight to know all of the legends and to have ridden with them!!!
Maria Szczerba
29/7/09

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
I wish I hadn't read the above.

True. But if that is what a true champion is, then Lance and Fabian are not your poster boys with their behaviour during the Tour. Lance respects no one but himself, and Cancellara was dissing Evans and Contador like a petulant child. There are better champions out there that fit this description, Stuey being one of them.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Maria Szczerba said:
:)I agree with Lance Armstrong's comments about what makes a true champion. A true champion is one who does sacrifice and helps out a team and respects everyone!!!
Actually if you sacrifice yourself you're not going to win the Tour. There is a reason the brothers Schleck did not turn around to hold Voigt's hand and give him moral support, and it has to do with them trying to be, indeed True Champions.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Jonathan said:
Actually if you sacrifice yourself you're not going to win the Tour. There is a reason the brothers Schleck did not turn around to hold Voigt's hand and give him moral support, and it has to do with them trying to be, indeed True Champions.

Jonathon, you are quite right here.
Sacraficing yourself for the team is the job of the dometiques. All the great champions throughout history are usually the most ruthless. Thats the cold hard fact. Armstrong is a perfect example regardless of what he says to to the contrary

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:

I wouldnt argue that O'Grady isnt a true champion of the sport. The post just made me realize that a certain 'character':rolleyes: had made their way to the forum.

Oh, well.

53 x 11
10.15pm
29/07/09

Maria Szczerba said:
...Being a champion means being also a fearless one and a strong one to comeback such as Lance. How would everybody else have handled what he had gone through and made people aware of it!!!!...
Maria Szczerba
29/7/09

:confused:
I am sure that if Armstrong had the yellow jersey and was with the Schleck brothers he would have been the one dropping Kloden in a heart beat!

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
:confused:
I am sure that if Armstrong had the yellow jersey and was with the Schleck brothers he would have been the one dropping Kloden in a heart beat!
In 2004 there was a similar situation on that very same climb, with two US Postals (Lance + Landis) and two T-Mobiles (Ullrich + Klöden).

Nevertheless, Lance didn't attack and drop Floyd, did he? Now, I'm not saying Lance was being kind with Floyd, but at least he was clever enough not to isolate himself.