• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil Gaimon's book?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I think any racer who aspired to see how far they could make it in the sport can relate to Phil's stories. I certainly can because so many of Phil's are similar to my own and many others I knew.

Phil never comes across as a martyr in his book. All the events he writes about are entertaining and mostly comical; but he also does a great job in articulating just how demanding the sport is and how much focus and dedication it takes to be competitive as a domestic pro - let alone make it to the world tour.

If you think this discussion of Phil's book and his motivation for writing it has gotten sidetracked - if you read the book you'll understand just how much of an impact doping makes in the sport and why even the slightest "marginal gain" attained through doping can rob someone of achieving their goal and possibly even a career.

Again, I think Phil does a great job of providing an insight into the life of an up and coming bike racer and the interactions he's had with others who chose to dope and those who chose not to.