• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil Liggert claims Federal investigators paid people to lie about Armstrong

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
veganrob said:
I am not deriding those people. It is human nature I suppose. And it is kinda sad that people have to look for that "saviour" for lack of a better word. I may have come across too strongly in my opinion. I just never bought any of it. Doesn't make me better. I never claimed that.
My real anger is directed at Armstrong.

Basically you are spot on, vulnerable/gullible people looking to hang onto something and falling for Lance and this Livestrong BS.

Stronger people with their own brain not buying into it and the misinformed caught hook line and sinker.

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
mountainrman said:
Even his last ditch supporter gives up on him

Phil Liggett was naive but is a decent man. LA must have known that by convincing the 'voice of cycling' he would convince many. How skilled he and others were, not just as liars but also at fiddling the tests that many mistakenly trusted were doing their job properly. As ever 'MONEY TALKS'.

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Boeing said:
NBC Sports should cut this guy.

Time to shake up the broadcast anyway
@joelfelicio - nbc sports cycling producer - makes it very clear in his Phil & Paul defence tweets of October 19 that NBC is sticking with Tweedledee and Tweedledum. But hey, Joel's been part of the same team for seven years or so.

What you'd hope might happen is that right thinking broadcasters in the rest of the English speaking world don't take the NBC audio feed anymore. ASO supplies ITV with the TDF picture/ambient noise stream cheaply by all accounts.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
mountainrman said:

Phil Liggett was naive but is a decent man. LA must have known that by convincing the 'voice of cycling' he would convince many. How skilled he and others were, not just as liars but also at fiddling the tests that many mistakenly trusted were doing their job properly. As ever 'MONEY TALKS'.

Ligget was nothing but a shill, leeching himself to someone he could earn off.

Too many people called out Armstrong from 1999 for a guy like Ligget not to know the score.

Ligget is anything but a decent man as he watched Armstrong bully and try to destroy people to protect his doping!

Ligget was suggesting those who testified did so for payment and calling it a witch hunt. This is the kind of decent man Ligget is, casting innuendo at anyone to protect his golden goose. Well the goose has been cooked and Ligget is now looking for another one.

Hopefully he will be gone forever soon.

summerhill said:
@joelfelicio - nbc sports cycling producer - makes it very clear in his Phil & Paul defence tweets of October 19 that NBC is sticking with Tweedledee and Tweedledum. But hey, Joel's been part of the same team for seven years or so.

What you'd hope might happen is that right thinking broadcasters in the rest of the English speaking world don't take the NBC audio feed anymore. ASO supplies ITV with the TDF picture/ambient noise stream cheaply by all accounts.

And they'll probably be keeping Bob Roll on as an apologist . . . er . . . analyst?

May 25, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
Basically you are spot on, vulnerable/gullible people looking to hang onto something and falling for Lance and this Livestrong BS.

Stronger people with their own brain not buying into it and the misinformed caught hook line and sinker.

Condescending and sanctimonious? You? Hindsight and anonymity are a real encouragement for arrogance like yours. We knew Jack sh!t in 1999, it all came out later, so climb down before you fall and hurt yourself....

May 25, 2010
Visit site
rainman said:
mountainrman said:

Agreed, I've seen the other response, but Phil was taken in by the whole Lance machine, he refused to see it through blind hero worship and misplaced loyalty, that doesn't make him a bad man. I'm sure he's not, ease up fellas....

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
MarkvW said:
And they'll probably be keeping Bob Roll on as an apologist . . . er . . . analyst?

And Declan Quigley @DQSport is the best cycling commentator I've heard and not tainted with the complicity of the Ligget/Sherwen or fence sitting of Harmon/Kelly.

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Ligget was nothing but a shill, leeching himself to someone he could earn off.

Too many people called out Armstrong from 1999 for a guy like Ligget not to know the score.

Ligget is anything but a decent man as he watched Armstrong bully and try to destroy people to protect his doping!

Ligget was suggesting those who testified did so for payment and calling it a witch hunt. This is the kind of decent man Ligget is, casting innuendo at anyone to protect his golden goose. Well the goose has been cooked and Ligget is now looking for another one.

Hopefully he will be gone forever soon.

You must look like your avatar. 'Watched Armstrong bully and try to destroy people.' SAD.

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
samerics said:
rainman said:
Agreed, I've seen the other response, but Phil was taken in by the whole Lance machine, he refused to see it through blind hero worship and misplaced loyalty, that doesn't make him a bad man. I'm sure he's not, ease up fellas....

But I thought he was supposed to be an expert on the sport of cycling? Those of us who have believed LA was dirty for years, whenever we mentioned it to people, like Liggett, were castigated as being overly cynical, bitter, "haters" or whatever BS words that are used to imply that it was somehow wrong to point out the blindingly obvious. There is absolutley no way on Earth that LA could have won 1 TDF, let alone 7, unless he was cheating. So all the folks who denied this fact for years owe cycling fans a huge apology, and should IMO retire back to their mansions to count the money they have earned while perpetuating the biggest fraud in sporting history.

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4321448.html

......When I first became seriously interested in cycling, I thought Phil Liggett was ace. He seemed to know so much and had been involved in cycling for so long that he had endless stories to tell during the quiet bits of the Tour, some of them based on fact, I thought.

Then I started to learn more, and one of the things that I learned along with "Phil very often gets things wrong" was "Phil's a bit of a nutter". It was a couple of years ago, as the helicopter panned over a French wind farm and Phil started sounding off like a cross between Jeremy Clarkson and an Alan Jones listener, that I started to question my feelings about him.....

samerics said:
I disagree, I'm sure it goes deep, but people on this forum have one agenda
To return some semblance of athletic credibility to cycling???

samerics said:
...and I'm sure that most of them aren't currently working within pro cycling.
If they were, then what? Hey Hein, stop fixing races by hiding positives. Hey Pat, stop selling fictional TdF race results. The collective, "oh, okay" from Agile and it's all sorted out??

samerics said:
If someone makes a point by nuance and tactics and it achieves a worthy result then I'm all for it, but it won't be achieved by going in all guns blazing. IMHO!
How many times do we have to go through this? Lots of posts/threads start that way, then inevitably the faithful show up and post a bunch of junk and here we are.

Check those recent chrono results. It seems to me the Sky magic has worn off.

Yeah pretty speciL indeed, made it through to half of it...strange fellow, eh, still clings to his "no positive" and "no confession", "drugs don't turn a donkey into a racehorse". Did the guy ask him in the second part if he had talked to Dopestrong recently?

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
webvan said:
Yeah pretty speciL indeed, made it through to half of it...strange fellow, eh, still clings to his "no positive" and "no confession", "drugs don't turn a donkey into a racehorse". Did the guy ask him in the second part if he had talked to Dopestrong recently?

Said he hasn't spoken to him Sept 8 2011 - but would like to take him aside if they met to find out the truth.

Can someone interpret what he meant to say at 12:30 about young riders affording drugs??

webvan said:

The first cyclist ever to know the TDF route in advance! No proof! Social media unfairly used to condemn Armstrong! Witnesses all dopers but not all actually saw Armstrong dope!

When he quoted Sanchez as a reasoned voice on the Armstrong case I had to resist a strong urge to upchuck.

Liggett is still assuming his role as a paid shill for Armstrong INC.

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Mike Tomalaris is gentle with a melancholic but impenitent Liggett.

@ScottLeMond
Oh Phil, i remember during stage 9 of the 2007 Tour, how you were talking about how dirty Lance was, good times.

Yep, standing around talking at the finish, Phil and Paul were talking about how lance was the biggest cheat.

Liggett, "I've got contracts for quite a few years ahead with British television and with American television..." Which is sad for us audiences.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
a little compassion

I like to kick Phil and Paul around as much as the next guy, but in Phil's case I think we should just back off and let him be. He's obviously suffering from dementia or mental illness. I don't think its right to use that as an advantage.
IMHO

rickshaw said:
I like to kick Phil and Paul around as much as the next guy, but in Phil's case I think we should just back off and let him be. He's obviously suffering from dementia or mental illness. I don't think its right to use that as an advantage.
IMHO

I think Phil is suffering from a "loss of earnings". He knows he score.

thehog said:
http://www.ballz.co.za/sport/ballz-...bout-lance-armstrong-being-stripped-of-ti/649

Appears Phil Liggert is claiming that US Federal Investigators offered to pay people to lie about Lance Armstrong.

These are very serious allegations from Phil. He suggests that a person (unnamed) in Boulder Colorodo was offered money and to "never need to work again" if he stated Armstrong used drugs.

Phil the voice of cycling might need to provide more details around these allegations. Including naming the person who made the claim to him.

He also suggests USADA paid their witnesses. Another claim that might need some evidence.

Guess he's not intending on "retiring" afterall? Give it up Phil, you've been swindled.

TRENDING THREADS