• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil Liggert claims Federal investigators paid people to lie about Armstrong

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
blackcat said:
Phil is the non-pedo version of Jimmy Saville. He goes groupies like Rochelle Gilmore. *may, nor may not, be apocryphal.

Non-Paedo version of Savile is a bit meaningless. You might as well say the non-gardening version of Titchmarsh.

If you are trying to imply that Phil put it about a bit with young consenting women, I fail to see either the problem or the relevance.

So if we could stick to the subject please....

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
proffate said:
I started by stating I'm NOT accusing this random non-cyclist that I've never heard of. I'm not going to bother checking him out because log chucking is not a sport that interests me.

Non-analytical positives generally follow on the heels of (years of) false-negative doping controls. Otherwise, there would be no need for a non-analytical finding, which is always harder to stick in a court of (sports) law. It doesn't take a Mensa-level intelligence to figure that one out. But then your boy probably doesn't toss sticks with his mind...

It's not a log. It's a spear.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Give Phil a break. Good career -- which included announcing other Olympic sports -- but he was wrong on Armstrong. Lots were. At least Phil has (kind of) admitted his errors. Unlike Jenkins, Reilly, et. al.

Armstrong was the perp. He's the real criminal. Let's not forget this.

Page Mill Masochist said:
Give Phil a break. Good career -- which included announcing other Olympic sports -- but he was wrong on Armstrong. Lots were. At least Phil has (kind of) admitted his errors. Unlike Jenkins, Reilly, et. al.

If you look at Phil as a cycling promoter, then Phil has only done things that cycling promoters do.

If you look at Phil as a journalist, he's a minor obscenity.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Page Mill Masochist said:

yeah, Phil had some good times at Yellow Rose too.

on
Live
Strong
dime

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
MarkvW said:
If you look at Phil as a cycling promoter, then Phil has only done things that cycling promoters do.

If you look at Phil as a journalist, he's a minor obscenity.

That's the thing - i don't look on him as a journalist - i look on him as a television presenter/commentary bod. As a journalist, i'd completely agree. But that's what Walsh and kimmage were/are for.

No no no no no

Phil did his best to keep the Armstrong myth alive and make.a misery the lives of anyone who challenged it.

He didn't just support Armstrong he chose his.side and got his hands dirty.

This should not be forgotten no.matter how.much the apologists try to spin Armstrong's minister of pr into harmless old gramps.

The Hitch said:
No no no no no

Phil did his best to keep the Armstrong myth alive and make.a misery the lives of anyone who challenged it.

He didn't just support Armstrong he chose his.side and got his hands dirty.

This should not be forgotten no.matter how.much the apologists try to spin Armstrong's minister of pr into harmless old gramps.

Hitch is exactly right. Phil was a very visible part of the myth making machine and sold it like he believed it and I'm sure he still knows better.

There was a time pre-Wonderboy when I would have defended the guy even to this day. But he's as shameful as Wonderboy and his Tailwind knaves.

Let us not forget that Liggett never took on the hyping of a rider's persona the way he did with Armstrong.

He had a vested financial interest in doing so, and one has to take this into account.

He happily became a groupie and must be called on it, both as a commentator and as a man looking to line his pockets by aligning himself to the Armstrong gravy train.

Berzin said:
Let us not forget that Liggett never took on the hyping of a rider's persona the way he did with Armstrong.

He had a vested financial interest in doing so, and one has to take this into account.

He happily became a groupie and must be called on it, both as a commentator and as a man looking to line his pockets by aligning himself to the Armstrong gravy train.

Exactly right. He made his bed, let him lie in it.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Phil has been an honorable man in his own way, like a good politician.

He was bought, and he STAYED bought.

Any word on what his cohorts Paul and Bobke are up to?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The SA Press Club are having a luncheon where Phil & Paul for $88 will address:

"Phil staunchly defended Lance Armstrong for years.
Now he feels like a fool. Deceived by what he calls “the most
incredulous doping scandal to hit any sport ”.
So how does elite cycling survive its “10 dark years”?
"

Amazingly, Phil is still foolish, as he said this earlier today in anticipation of a Lance confession....
"He must have given this an awful lot of thought and he must have felt the net was finally closing in on him, and how was he going to come out reasonably well," Liggett said.

"I believe he knows Oprah.
"He's appeared on the shows many times and he's recognised that as the medium in which to tell all.
"That's what I feel is going to happen.
"I'm rather pleased that Lance has finally come out and he's chosen, first of all, to go to his foundation because his heart was really in that foundation," Liggett said.

"Once the story broke back in October, he resigned as the chairman of Livestrong.

"But those people on the foundation have been so hard working for his cause and I'm glad he's chosen to go there first.
"

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Just when you thought Liggett might be looking in the mirror, and might actually be aware that the rest of the world now defines Armstronging as going to all extremes to cheat, Phil confirms he is a complete fool after all:

Phil Liggett says Lance Armstrong's accusers were motivated by jealousy

Veteran commentator also insists South Australia government got value for money on appearance fees it paid

This notably was reported AFTER Lance's confession.

Dave.

Liggett's the best.

I suppose his forward march into senility is bringing out his inner child, how else explain such stupid comments that smack of a tantrum?

So Liggett basically wants Pandora's Box to be closed again so that he could still believe in Lance? A life without Lance as a revered mono-testicled hero is just too difficult a burden for Liggett to shoulder?

May 12, 2011
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Just when you thought Liggett might be looking in the mirror, and might actually be aware that the rest of the world now defines Armstronging as going to all extremes to cheat, Phil confirms he is a complete fool after all:

Phil Liggett says Lance Armstrong's accusers were motivated by jealousy

Veteran commentator also insists South Australia government got value for money on appearance fees it paid

This notably was reported AFTER Lance's confession.

Dave.

Ignoring what they said, can you argue that they weren't jealous of his success?

As for the TdownUnder payments, they clearly got great value. This year, no lance, no big names and we get a whopping 1/2 hour of daily highlights.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:
Ignoring what they said, can you argue that they weren't jealous of his success?

I think Jealous is the wrong word here. It's more like; why do I continue to lie to myself, and others for this guy who continually sues, makes ridiculous amounts of money, and stomps on, and threatens anyone that says he doped, when I know he's lying ,and he did dope? Why have I done this for so long?

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. If Lance just took his money, and went away, he might have gotten away with it. He just couldn't do it though.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:
You got 1000 pages of homework to do.

Nice try. Not relevant to the discussion. He won 7 tours, he made millions per year. I don't think the Not so Reasoned decision has anything to do with others being jealous. That's just human nature.

If you mean why did they testify? They did it to get lessor sentences.

Aleajactaest said:
Nice try. Not relevant to the discussion. He won 7 tours, he made millions per year. I don't think the Not so Reasoned decision has anything to do with others being jealous. That's just human nature.

If you mean why did they testify? They did it to get lessor sentences.

Let's pick one.

How about Frankie?

Is he jealous?

We will see palm trees in Greenland before that happens.

How about another one?

What about Floyd. Is Floyd jealous?

I can think of a LOT of other emotions that Floyd might have, but jealousy is not high on that list.

And on, and on.

At the time that the testimony was presented, it is a virtual certainty that not a single one of those that spoke with the USADA harbored any thought of jealousy.

Not a one.

Now, if you have spoken with one of those that provided evidence and can offer us with some sort of proof of your allegations, then please do so.

Otherwise, furthering this misguided argument provides further evidence of puppetry.

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS