• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil Liggert claims Federal investigators paid people to lie about Armstrong

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:
As for the TdownUnder payments, they clearly got great value. This year, no lance, no big names and we get a whopping 1/2 hour of daily highlights.

Haven't you been banned yet? But anyway.

1/2 hour of daily highlights? All stages were on TV in Australia with both of the last 2 stages on free to air across the country. For those outside Australia, channel 9 streamed all stages online for anyone to watch. The crowds at the race were the largest yet. This years race was nothing but a massive success and had nothing to do with LA. A lot more to do with the popularity of cycling in the country and effects following Cadel's tour success. If Cadel returns to the race before retiring, the figures will go off the charts. LA has/had very little effect on the current success of the TDU.

D-Queued said:
Let's pick one.

How about Frankie?

Is he jealous?

We will see palm trees in Greenland before that happens.

How about another one?

What about Floyd. Is Floyd jealous?

I can think of a LOT of other emotions that Floyd might have, but jealousy is not high on that list.

And on, and on.

At the time that the testimony was presented, it is a virtual certainty that not a single one of those that spoke with the USADA harbored any thought of jealousy.

Not a one.

Now, if you have spoken with one of those that provided evidence and can offer us with some sort of proof of your allegations, then please do so.

Otherwise, furthering this misguided argument provides further evidence of puppetry.

Dave.

Exactly! I just saw it posted somewhere that George Hincapie is worth around $40 million, He(Hincapie) was w/Wonderboy right up to the end.......so how would that make George "jealous" of Lance?

I'm sure Tyler did pretty well too, same question applies

86TDFWinner said:
Exactly! I just saw it posted somewhere that George Hincapie is worth around $40 million, He(Hincapie) was w/Wonderboy right up to the end.......so how would that make George "jealous" of Lance?

I'm sure Tyler did pretty well too, same question applies

If the stories about Tyler's ex are true, then the only one exhibiting jealousy is Lance himself.

Then again, isn't that stating the obvious? That the only emotional insecurity and immaturity we observe emanate from Lance?

Dave.

Aleajactaest said:
Nice try. Not relevant to the discussion. He won 7 tours, he made millions per year. I don't think the Not so Reasoned decision has anything to do with others being jealous. That's just human nature.

If you mean why did they testify? They did it to get lessor sentences.

Wrong. It has every relevance to the discussion.

Have a good day, Phil.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
If the stories about Tyler's ex are true, then the only one exhibiting jealousy is Lance himself.

Then again, isn't that stating the obvious? That the only emotional insecurity and immaturity we observe emanate from Lance?

Dave.

I never looked at screwing around with somebody's wife that way. Thanks Dave for enlightening me inre to the emotional problems of the one that did not make the commitment. :cool:

samerics said:
No, I feel sad about it too. I don't think he's a bad or malicious person, his voice still brings back memories of Indurain and Ullrich in the Tour, I just think he was taken in by Lance, and he just seems like a beaten man now, sad. I understand why, but there is so much malice in the clinic that is way OTT. Apart from Lance and the clowns at the UCI, I can't see why anyone else should be subject to the levels of vitriol thrown around in here. I mean, JV and Millar are hardly deserving of the spite thrown at them. Opinions yes, bile no. IMHO!

of course there is no malice in asking why would Phil ever say anything bad about HIS BUSINESS PARTNER(as in he & LA share a business) is it???? ;)

Phil & Paul are scumbags as LA himself & were unconditionally supporters of the scam, for their own self serving benefit without any remorse or shame.

....and there was general jubilation at a bunch of "new" blokes performing each day, and indeed winning - a sence of "can the sport escape from the shackles of the past?"

Although there was a little guffaw at abAndy withdrawing at final stage last gasp when in last overall to avoid the lanterne rouge. :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The answer is pretty simple. Everyone send emails to Versus complaining about this toolbag. Say that you will refuse to watch until they get rid of him.

It worked to get rid of Trout-Wig. Not that I would know anything about that personally :D

Phil Ligget

Anyone pick up Frankie Andreu flaming Ligget when interviewed? He described Phil's comments in regards to USADA as "disgusting". We all know the business links between Sherwen, Phil and Lance and I assume that nothing illegal went on, It seems astonishing that Phil will suffer no blowback for his role in bigging up brand Armstrong over the years. Any news on Sherwen's African business adventures?

buckle said:
Anyone pick up Frankie Andreu flaming Ligget when interviewed? He described Phil's comments in regards to USADA as "discusting". We all know the business links between Sherwen, Phil and Lance and I assume that nothing illegal went on, It seems astonishing that Phil will suffer no blowback for his role in bigging up brand Armstrong over the years. Any news on Sherwen's African business adventures?

No, missed that, but good catch.

While accurate, it is surprising given that they worked together and that Phil has been a mainstay.

Dave.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The answer is pretty simple. Everyone send emails to Versus complaining about this toolbag. Say that you will refuse to watch until they get rid of him.

Since Versus has not existed for a while now, that might be problematic.

And, while I think Phil is often clueless, I'm used to him and Paul being the voices I hear when watching races. It beats the days of John Tesh and the 1/2 highlight films on Sunday.

Right now, I'd be happy if I could be Universal Sports again. I like GoGo. His commentary is first rate even if his on screen personal is painful to watch. Sadly, there is no way to watch it anymore since they won't let me pay to watch on line anymore and my cable outlet won't carry it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Watching P-N on NBC Sports...Paul is commentating, but no Phil. Fall-out?
oh, the Shur WIN PR manager for Motorola and Armstrong.

Rhodesia and blood diamonds mining

*may, or may not be, apocryphal

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:
Since Versus has not existed for a while now, that might be problematic.

And, while I think Phil is often clueless, I'm used to him and Paul being the voices I hear when watching races. It beats the days of John Tesh and the 1/2 highlight films on Sunday.

Right now, I'd be happy if I could be Universal Sports again. I like GoGo. His commentary is first rate even if his on screen personal is painful to watch. Sadly, there is no way to watch it anymore since they won't let me pay to watch on line anymore and my cable outlet won't carry it.
jaw to TESH equivalent of
senility to LIGGETT

May 27, 2012
Visit site
NBC Sports doing a piece on the new clean cycling...forgetting to mention that their previous iterations did so much to promote a cesspool of doping, not to mention the king of the cesspool.

BTW, their case for "new clean cyclists" ended with an image of Wigans on the podium. Cool story bro.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Let's pick one.

How about Frankie?

Is he jealous?

We will see palm trees in Greenland before that happens.

How about another one?

What about Floyd. Is Floyd jealous?

I can think of a LOT of other emotions that Floyd might have, but jealousy is not high on that list.

And on, and on.

At the time that the testimony was presented, it is a virtual certainty that not a single one of those that spoke with the USADA harbored any thought of jealousy.

Not a one.

Now, if you have spoken with one of those that provided evidence and can offer us with some sort of proof of your allegations, then please do so.

Otherwise, furthering this misguided argument provides further evidence of puppetry.

Dave.

My money's on Vaughter's. That would make sense. USPS was to be his team. There are some strange crossroads here that I would be curious about if I were in the employ of a good newspaper, but I am not, so I wonder who has the guts to connect the dots.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Page Mill Masochist said:
Give Phil a break. Good career -- which included announcing other Olympic sports -- but he was wrong on Armstrong. Lots were. At least Phil has (kind of) admitted his errors. Unlike Jenkins, Reilly, et. al.

Armstrong was the perp. He's the real criminal. Let's not forget this.

What Phil was doing for so many years, and still is, is only legal in Amsterdam and Nevada. He and Jenkins should form a partnership (if they haven't already).

TRENDING THREADS