• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Philippe Gilbert Discussion Thread

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'd like to see him do a "Colombo" on Cipressa. If he could pull that of, I'd consider him the greatest classics rider since De Vlaeminck. His classics win are often done with a long-range attack. Why not in MSR?

On Poggio, he should be able to follow the favorites. But in a reduced sprint against the likes of MVDP, Van Aert, Trentin, Matthews, Sagan and Alaphilippe.. I'd be nearly impossible.
Would be a suicide, after Colombo only van Avermaet in 2011 was able to survive the Poggio (and he was still catched after the descent) after attacking on the Cipressa and in 2011 was a crazy race with a very reduced gruop of 30/40 riders in front already after the Altopiano delle Manie and then an all out chase to not be catched by the peloton so there weren't team mates left. In a normal Sanremo nowadays it's totally impossible to attack for the win on the Cipressa with teams that organize themselves on the Aurelia, if no one tries anymore is because in the 00s the best hilly classics riders and even climbers tried year after year and were always catched on the Aurelia or at the beginning of the Poggio.

Gilbert best hope to win is a late attack on the flat like Cancellara or Pozzato, in a little gruop the possiblity to slip out in that way are pretty high because there is a moment in which everyone watch themselves at the end of the descent not wanting to pull for the others, this year without van Aert killing his chances to cactch him probably Trentin would have succeded in that and with the number of riders interested in taking the sprinters out of contention the little group after the Poggio will be the likely scenario again in the coming editions (well, if they won't cut the Poggio).

(well, if they won't cut the Poggio).
If they do, surely they'll add something else to avoid, or minimize the chance of, a bunch sprint. No matter what, this is Philippe Gilbert. The guy wins races not many believed he could win (Paris-Roubaix is one, some GT stages). He's got a massive incentive to win Milano-Sanremo and join the other 3 great Belgians (Eddy, Van Looy and Vlaeminck)

Mar 23, 2019
Visit site
There’s loads off other riders who have a huge incentive to win it also.
personally I would love to see him do it. But in think 2010 when he finished 3rd was his chance. The same Sagan hasn’t won it and 2013 and 2017 was his chance. Sagan maybe two more chances to win it. Likes off Ewan , wva and Van der Poel for me the next winners.

This is not good news. You can't blame him wanting to strive for five, but it won't get easier now. Let's hope he can make a comeback and at least be able to pull the plug on his career of his own accord.

This is not good news. You can't blame him wanting to strive for five, but it won't get easier now. Let's hope he can make a comeback and at least be able to pull the plug on his career of his own accord.
If that's the one thing that's keeping him going then a) it made sense to bust whatever targets he had to give him his best chance at MSR this year, and b) nothing he does in the immediate future is going to affect his chances of making it next year.

I say well done to him for recognizing the signs and making the call to take a break; a lot of others would have plugged ahead stubbornly, and hurt themselves long-term. Hopefully he can come back, or at the very least, make his own decision in his own time about when and how to come back.

If that's the one thing that's keeping him going then a) it made sense to bust whatever targets he had to give him his best chance at MSR this year, and b) nothing he does in the immediate future is going to affect his chances of making it next year.

I say well done to him for recognizing the signs and making the call to take a break; a lot of others would have plugged ahead stubbornly, and hurt themselves long-term. Hopefully he can come back, or at the very least, make his own decision in his own time about when and how to come back.

Maybe some of his actions will change his chances of winning MSR next year. He doesn't have the same age as an Evenepoel, so he will probably have to do a lot of things right and possibly differently than he has done in previous years, in order to get in a perfect shape again. And what he has done during the Autumn and at the start of this season may have hampered him too much for it ti happen. But maybe I'm being too much of a pessimist here, cause I would love to see him get that final win.

Reactions: Sandisfan
As of last Saturday Gilbert has raced 61 monuments, 24 grand tours, and 15 WCRR. That's 100 major races in total. I doubt many riders have reached that number. The only contemporary rider I can find who comes close is Matteo Tosatto with 96 (55+34+7).
Valverde is at 77
Cancellara 67
Boonen 67
Heck Kelly was at 93
The only chance for the others to catch up is include Worlds TT and Olympic RR and TT. Gilbert and Tosatto were putting in the work.

TRENDING THREADS