• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Philippe Gilbert Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gilbert doesn't strike me as an arrogant person.Pointing to the number 1 on his back wheel on his way to Lombardia win in 2010 was pure class and a bit of fun.He is known for training with his amateur cyclist friends around Monaco before they have to let him go,hardly the actions of a Billy Big-time plus some Belgian journalists have said they have fallen out with him but he makes up with them after his initial anger with an article has subsided.He also spends time with the fans.

Pro cycling magazine Sep 2011

La Derniere Heure reporter Phillipe Van Holle:

"We've had our fallings out,a few years ago i wrote something about him moving to Monaco and tax, and four months later he saw me and said i could go and get stuffed.I said the same things back.To his credit,though,a few weeks later we were back to normal"

There are other positive character references in the same article.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
285035_282781168488994_966322693_n.jpg

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
6e670ff13f.jpg

Great kit and bike.

Not a fan of the big UCI on the shorts, but other than that a good looking kit. Much prefer the white shorts to just plain black, matches the jersey better.

On Another note, Phil is looking pretty skinny for Lombardia, he'll be the one to beat.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
For those of you that know Gilbert as I rider. What kind of races/stages is Gilbert's type?

I mean, he's not a pure sprinter, and he's not a pure climber. He's good in the classics, but what does that mean, that he's good at long stages? He usually attacks late on stages with uphill finishes, but not if the hill is to long. So, what exactly makes a stage good for Gilbert?
As you'll understand, I'm not that educated on cycling.

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
LarsBK said:
For those of you that know Gilbert as I rider. What kind of races/stages is Gilbert's type?

I mean, he's not a pure sprinter, and he's not a pure climber. He's good in the classics, but what does that mean, that he's good at long stages? He usually attacks late on stages with uphill finishes, but not if the hill is to long. So, what exactly makes a stage good for Gilbert?
As you'll understand, I'm not that educated on cycling.

Gilbert is known as a "puncheur."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puncheur

TRENDING THREADS