• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Philippe Gilbert Discussion Thread

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And he does it again!

Ten stage wins in GTs is a lot for a non-sprinter. Maybe he'll be glad now that he wasn't selected for the Tour. He will be good at the world championships too. I just hope the Belgian team doesn't have too many leaders.

And Gilbert isn't in the GC rider either. There are nine active riders with at least ten GT stage victories and Gilbert is the only one who isn't sprinter or GC rider.

Well, Bennati isn't really sprinter anymore but he was one of the best for a short time, taking eight wins within a year, seven of them in bunch sprints. Then there's Sagan and Degenkolb who are a bit of mixed riders but they have a lot of victories it bunch sprints too. Cav and Greipel are/were really top-level sprinters.

Three GC riders who have at least ten victories are Froome, Nibali and Valverde.

As the winner of P-R and a Vuelta stage he should be an inside contender. His main problems might be that he won't be the sole leader of his team and that some other contenders have a better sprint, but I would certainly list him among the candidates.
That will actually be his and Belgium's biggest advantage, they will be in every move, maybe even with multiple riders, they will do something like QS does.

I didn't think he had these climbs in him anymore. When he went yesterday, I was thinking "way too early", but in fact, it was perfect. It did surprise me how much time he lost after the climb, but perhaps he didn't want to take any risks with what is to come. The Worlds course should suit him, and his experience and race smarts should also really help him.

Reactions: Flamin
I didn't think he had these climbs in him anymore. When he went yesterday, I was thinking "way too early", but in fact, it was perfect. It did surprise me how much time he lost after the climb, but perhaps he didn't want to take any risks with what is to come. The Worlds course should suit him, and his experience and race smarts should also really help him.

He said on the ES that he wnr slow after the climb didnt want to risk it too much

View: https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1169675606344241153?s=20

Reactions: Jagartrott
Gregorio is saying since the beginning of the Vuelta that Gilbert big target for this fall is Lombardia, I thought it was a figment of his imagination because in recent years Gilbert said more than one time that nowadays Lombardia is too hard for him but after yesterday I started to think that could be true, the last climb was harder than Civiglio and his climbing looked better than in recent years.

Gregorio is saying since the beginning of the Vuelta that Gilbert big target for this fall is Lombardia, I thought it was a figment of his imagination because in recent years Gilbert said more than one time that nowadays Lombardia is too hard for him but after yesterday I started to think that could be true, the last climb was harder than Civiglio and his climbing looked better than in recent years.

That would be amazing if he could win Lomardia again. Hell of a season with that and PR.

Reactions: Nirvana
For me he is the best classicomano since bettini. He is a pure bike racer, he has intelligence, charisma, (and when he is in shape) he is probably the strongest rider I have ever seen (better than 2009 contador, 2010 cancellara, 2000-2002 armstrong). I want gilbert to start his career (again) right now.

He has made me a big fan over the last few years, the panache and willpower these last few years is inspiring. I wouldn't bet against him somehow sneaking a Milan-San Remo win still.

EDIT: Especially with the sort of form he's showing again this Vuelta, should have him rolling into the next off-season perfectly poised for a great spring. Just a little bit sad that he is leaving DQS, i think he has the best chance for MSR if he stays on there.

Mar 23, 2019
Visit site
I don’t think he will win Milano san remo. It always comes down to a group of 10-20 riders for a sprint. I think he’s had his chance. Was it 2010? He came third? I think Alaphilippe will get three different monuments at least. Will we see any other rider get four? Once ever 10-15 years.
But yeah he’s the best rider the last 30 years for Me. (One day classics) Since Sean kelly.

I'd like to see him do a "Colombo" on Cipressa. If he could pull that of, I'd consider him the greatest classics rider since De Vlaeminck. His classics win are often done with a long-range attack. Why not in MSR?

On Poggio, he should be able to follow the favorites. But in a reduced sprint against the likes of MVDP, Van Aert, Trentin, Matthews, Sagan and Alaphilippe.. I'd be nearly impossible.

TRENDING THREADS