• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Philippe Gilbert Discussion Thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A little shout-out is in order to Gilbert, who will be riding his final LBL tomorrow, the monument in his own region, which he won once. His name will be written on La Redoute seventy times.

Last LBL tomorrow for Gilbert and Valverde, these two big stars who loved „La Doyenne“ more than anything else… I‘m sad, indeed.

Gilbert will want to finish tomorrow, and avoid a DNF. He will be celebrated all race long… :)

I only believe that Gilbert actually retires after this season if he doesn't show up for La Marseillaise & Omloop in 2023 with FDJ, because Madiot convinced him about "One final season as an instructor for the young talents and then you become a director sportif, because I can't do this job forever!" :D

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I still remember the Sunday evening in 2005, when Gilbert attacked in the finale of Paris-Tours with Devolder. Zabel won there.

Then in 2008, Gilbert won it. I think it was 2008. He also won Het Volk that year.

Now Gilbert retires today. He was a good rider, and probably will remain in cycling, which I would find great.

To be honest, now, when I remember 2008, I wonder why Kuyckx, who was second behind Gilbert in Tours, never became world class afterwards… (Maybe he remained active rider, and still one day will become world class - or attempt the Hour Record, maybe ;) )

Reactions: Pantani_lives
Another one of the greats of the last 20 years, retires. I have to say, the only one of his monument wins I saw live is Roubaix so I can‘t say much about him. When I became a cycling fan, he was already on the decline. Still, the amount of big champions the pro peloton loses this year, is practically unparalleled.

This weekend was really the end of a generation. PhilGil showed some extraordinary grit with his early wins, like that long solo in the Omloop. His super year was 2011, when he was very explosive and truly dominated the climbing classics. The Cauberg was his second home, because he won a world title and four Amstels there.

Then, when he was less explosive at an older age and seemed to be past his peak, he moved to QuickStep to add the two biggest cobbled races to his list. A stroke of genius! He had the fighting spirit to come back several times after a big crash. He deserves his spot among the best classic racers of this century.

I still remember the Sunday evening in 2005, when Gilbert attacked in the finale of Paris-Tours with Devolder. Zabel won there.

Then in 2008, Gilbert won it. I think it was 2008. He also won Het Volk that year.

Now Gilbert retires today. He was a good rider, and probably will remain in cycling, which I would find great.

To be honest, now, when I remember 2008, I wonder why Kuyckx, who was second behind Gilbert in Tours, never became world class afterwards… (Maybe he remained active rider, and still one day will become world class - or attempt the Hour Record, maybe ;) )

Understatement of the year...

It's been a hard weekend. My favourite classics rider of all time and my favourite gt rider of all time both retire. Two of the all-time greats, they were awesome to watch when at their peak. Of course their time is up, but I feel sad I'll never see either race again. I hope Alaphilippe is on fire next season.

The same for me. Valverde and Valverde :(

(okay, if you put a gun to my head, I might say Sagan before Valverde)