Philippe Gilbert is the best cyclist in the world

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
c&cfan said:
it is a sport, but it is still a "baby". they aren't as professional as men. they are always the same in contention in pretty much any kind of race.

you don't see contador in roubaix. is that because he isn't talented enough? funny.. even the uniballer called him the most talented guy ever in this sport. i also believe that.

i respect more contador gilbert cav and canc achievements than those of vos.
Being talented doesn't necessarily mean using it.

Remmert Wielinga was more talented than a lot of the top people in the péloton right now.
 
Aug 2, 2010
1,502
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
Being talented doesn't necessarily mean using it.

Remmert Wielinga was more talented than a lot of the top people in the péloton right now.
contador uses his talent.

but he won't win roubaix from the favourites group. this is true cycling.

i don't consider an almost pure endurance bike racing as cycling.
 
Aug 2, 2010
1,502
0
0
Spine Concept said:
That's your opinion, I, and many more, have a different one. Vos is a boss, if you like it or not. ;)
lol it isn't a matter of like or dislike.
maybe you are missing the point?
 
c&cfan said:
lol it isn't a matter of like of dislike.
maybe you are missing the point?
Of course it is. I highly doubt I'm missing the point, I simply disagree with you, full stop. You tried to make your point, which I disagree with because it minimizes Vos' achievements. I'm allowed my opinion am I not?
 
Aug 2, 2010
1,502
0
0
Spine Concept said:
Of course it is. I highly doubt I'm missing the point, I simply disagree with you, full stop. You tried to make your point, which I disagree with because it minimizes Vos' achievements. I'm allowed my opinion am I not?
no. this isn't a matter of opinion, this is a matter of facts.

from an athletic point of view, she isn't doing better than contador cav gilbert or canc.
 
c&cfan said:
no. this isn't a matter of opinion, this is a matter of facts.

from an athletic point of view, she isn't doing better than contador cav gilbert or canc.
I never said she's better than them, however you seem to be good at making flawed assumptions and basing your comments on them.

Furthermore, of course it is a matter of opinion, you choose to dilute her results while I don't, are you kidding me? lol. The nerve of some people.

Since you like to talk about facts so much, look at Marianne's palmares. It seems you wouldn't know facts even if they hit you in the face. Those are cold hard facts which you choose to dilute and I choose to admire. Now thát is a matter of opinion. ;)

It would hardly be fair to put Vos up against the boys now would it? Do you think it's fair for men to be put in the same category as women in a test of physical capabilities? Would you, being a man, feel like you're the best for beating a woman? C'mon man. Vos can only beat what's put in front of her, and she does, overwhelmingly. What's the problem in valuing that? It would seem that you are the one with problems accepting facts.
 
c&cfan said:
no. this isn't a matter of opinion, this is a matter of facts.

from an athletic point of view, she isn't doing better than contador cav gilbert or canc.
This forum isn't about who is the most athletic, it's about who the best is.

You should only be judged on a level playing field, unless you want to come out with something ridiculous like deriding the achievements of Verena Bentele because she can't shoot as well as Tora Berger.

And comparative to the level playing field, Vos is more dominant than any other sportsperson I can name. I'm sure there are some that are more dominant, but none that I can name.

Besides, after the argument we had before where you decided that domination was exciting and we should all be excited by the Schumacher parade, I thought you'd probably be happy to support somebody who wins absolutely everything she enters regardless of where it is.

Marianne Vos isn't my favourite cyclist, or even my favourite female cyclist. But then Alberto Contador isn't my favourite GT rider either. It doesn't stop him being the best.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Marianne Vos cycling domination is the equivalent of Gilbert riding Kermis koersen and winning them all. Actually I'm insulting kermis koersen now because even in those races a 50+ year old can't win. That said, female cycling has the potential to grow, but it has a really long way to go and I just can't take it serious right now.
 
El Pistolero said:
Marianne Vos cycling domination is the equivalent of Gilbert riding Kermis koersen and winning them all. Actually I'm insulting kermis koersen now because even in those races a 50+ year old can't win. That said, female cycling has the potential to grow, but it has a really long way to go and I just can't take it serious right now.
hey pistolero where have you been? believe it or not even timmy has been asking for you :p
 
El Pistolero said:
I've been in France, though not at the Tour. At Provence :p
sounds like a nice place to be :p

well in case you want an update on the forum.

we have the usual july crowd that brought a lot of schleck and evans love and even more contador hate with them. :p so get ready for silly chaingate replies everytime you show your support for contador XD

btw it seems like atm cadel evans is the absolute favourite at winning the tour because. . . well you know he has a couple of seconds on people that climb over 9000 times better then him :p
 
Mar 10, 2009
272
0
0
I use to like Philippe Gilbert, but ....

I use to like Philippe Gilbert, but the more i see and hear about him in this tour the less I like his personality. It seems every time the camera is on him he starts to show off, bouncing around on his saddle as if he has worms.

Then he demonstrates quite clearly that he really isn't a team player unless forced to be. Not helping Greipel has cost me points in a tipping comp I'm in. Perhaps his team should concentrate on him getting Green, but until then, he should follow team plans.


I have however gained a newer appreciation for Evans and the Mighty Thor.
 
Thor and Evans are great. However July makes people crazy and ego-centric. Gilbert is trying to win to get a lucrative contract as well and has rivalries in the team. We might be reading too much into it
 
May 8, 2009
837
0
0
1. Gilbert didn't work for Greipel in the uphill sprint in which he was 2nd, do you think Greipel would have done better?
2. Gilbert worked for Greipel yesterday in the flat sprint
 
Mar 19, 2009
1,796
0
0
Kwibus said:
Close this thread or delete it.

The number of ridiculous threads is just scary.
I have moved the thread into here, it is fair enough to discuss Gilbert attitude or percieved arrogance in the road section and there is a Gilbert thread allready.

Also carefull with the doping talk everyone
 
Feb 4, 2011
1,887
0
0
Indurain said:
I use to like Philippe Gilbert, but the more i see and hear about him in this tour the less I like his personality. It seems every time the camera is on him he starts to show off, bouncing around on his saddle as if he has worms.

Then he demonstrates quite clearly that he really isn't a team player unless forced to be. Not helping Greipel has cost me points in a tipping comp I'm in. Perhaps his team should concentrate on him getting Green, but until then, he should follow team plans.


I have however gained a newer appreciation for Evans and the Mighty Thor.
When Gilbert didn't help Greipel? :rolleyes:
maybe when Gilbert was 2nd behind Cav?
on yesterday Gilbert drove Greipel from -3 to -1km!
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
El Pistolero said:
I never said that, but calling Marianne Vos her palmares better than Philippe is just a no no for me. Male cycling has fiercer competition because it isn't an obscure sport like female cycling. But I hope the latter will grow of course. I rather look at girls in lycra suits than guys in lycra suits :p
Of course men's cycling is much bigger. However, Gilbert has never been world champion, let alone at four different disciplines. And he's never won an Olympic gold medal. Neither has he won the biggest men's stage race. He isn't one of the best climbers among the men, nor one of the best time trialists, nor one of the best sprinters.

The poor guy is actually very limited, compared to Marianne :p
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
theyoungest said:
Of course men's cycling is much bigger. However, Gilbert has never been world champion, let alone at four different disciplines. And he's never won an Olympic gold medal. Neither has he won the biggest men's stage race. He isn't one of the best climbers among the men, nor one of the best time trialists, nor one of the best sprinters.

The poor guy is actually very limited, compared to Marianne :p
Is female cycling an olympic sport? :eek:

Aww, now I want cyclocross to be olympic as well :(

As for Phil being the best of the world, I see it like this: there are 4 greats in the world of cycling. Fabian Cancellara, Philippe Gilbert, Alberto Contador and Mark Cavendish.
 
El Pistolero said:
I never said that, but calling Marianne Vos her palmares better than Philippe is just a no no for me. Male cycling has fiercer competition because it isn't an obscure sport like female cycling. But I hope the latter will grow of course. I rather look at girls in lycra suits than guys in lycra suits :p
I never said that either. ;) Youngest summed it up quite nicely though. I especially agree with the last bit of your post :p.

theyoungest said:
Of course men's cycling is much bigger. However, Gilbert has never been world champion, let alone at four different disciplines. And he's never won an Olympic gold medal. Neither has he won the biggest men's stage race. He isn't one of the best climbers among the men, nor one of the best time trialists, nor one of the best sprinters.

The poor guy is actually very limited, compared to Marianne :p
 
El Pistolero said:
Is female cycling an olympic sport? :eek:

Aww, now I want cyclocross to be olympic as well :(

As for Phil being the best of the world, I see it like this: there are 4 greats in the world of cycling. Fabian Cancellara, Philippe Gilbert, Alberto Contador and Mark Cavendish.
CX would be a nice addition to the Winter Olympics for sure.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
CX would be a nice addition to the Winter Olympics for sure.
I guess you could put it in Winter olympics, but summer olympics would fit as well. Though I love cyclocross races in snow.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Professional Road Racing 114
Similar threads
Top 20 Cyclists of all time

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS