• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Philippe Gilbert is the best cyclist in the world

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theyoungest said:
There's a very fair recent example to compare women to men in a time trial: the Solvang TT in the ToC, over the exact same course on the same day. Kirsten Armstrong clocked 34.29, David Zabriskie 30.36. A four minutes difference in a half hour time trial, that's pretty significant.

He does road as well, he's the current Dutch champion time trial (and cyclocross of course) in his age group.

Not a bad shout. I went for a Worlds ITT and a comparable length major stage race one to make sure we got a representative startlist (i.e. at least SOME of the best in the world for both genders). Kristin Armstrong is definitely one of the best female TTers, but I was concerned for the depth of the field.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
If Gilbert wins the Green jersey, he will definitely cement himself into having one of the greatest seasons of any cyclist ever.

Not that it isn't already.

Libertine Seguros said:
Just for the record, Marianne Vos just won the Mortirolo stage, soloing in ahead of a four woman chase group of Guderzo, Brand, Arndt and Pooley.

I mentioned this in the Gesink vs. VDB2 thread, this stage was more suited to Pooley. This goes to show how strong and diverse Vos is - if there was any doubt. There are a couple of hard stages ahead but she's looking mighty strong.

Libertine Seguros said:
Just for the record, Marianne Vos just won the Mortirolo stage, soloing in ahead of a four woman chase group of Guderzo, Brand, Arndt and Pooley.

when Vos will beat Gilbert I will be surprise, until that moment I will not be surprise if she win all the races.

theyoungest said:
She can cook too?

A bit sad really, the sexism of some neanderthal posters on this forum.

I don't think that the posters are sexism, is the nature itself that is sexism in some activities. In the kitchen, men and women are at the same level, on a bike aren't. So, why we should compare them? There are other sports where we can compare them, like chess, or equitation...

TeoSheva said:
when Vos will beat Gilbert I will be surprise, until that moment I will not be surprise if she win all the races.

If she takes home the Giro Donne she has a better palmarès than Gilbert. She already arguably has, and she's several years younger.

Bessmertnykh set a faster time up Alpe Cermis than Justyna Kowalczyk, but one of those is one of the best in the world, and the other isn't. Therese Johaug's incredible climb (33'14) would have put her 31st among the men, but that doesn't make the likes of Kristian Tettli Rennamo (32'29) or Jens Filbrich (32'41) better skiers than her.

You can only beat the field in front of you. Marianne Vos competes on a level playing field and she destroys it. If she faces off with Gilbert it's not a level playing field and therefore it isn't representative.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
If she takes home the Giro Donne she has a better palmarès than Gilbert. She already arguably has, and she's several years younger.

That was a tough finish, very impressive.
she has amazing form.
She has a great chance to win the Giro Donne, or even podium.

stage 8 will be another big test.
539_2011_8.jpg

short, but the last climb is not easy.

Even if Pooley CAN drop her (which seems unlikely in the form she's in) Vos will still need to drop nearly 8 minutes to drop from the podium.

So, Marianne Vos wins:
- on cobbles
- on mud
- on short hills
- on difficult hills
- on the track
- in sprints
- in the most difficult stage races
- in the wind and the rain

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
Go back a couple of pages and see for yourself. Everyone is well aware of the fact that Vos wouldn't match up against the the pro boys. However, that was hardly the point. It is just awe-inspiring what she does and how she does it, wouldn't you agree?

i wounder what would the same persons be saying if vos had a d*ck.

"doper"!

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say, or imply for that matter.

she is amazing.

however if a man was doing this, you and others alike (maybe even me) would call him a doper.

funny thing is, just because that athlete is a woman, everyone must admire her.
i see men racing and call that sport.
i see women and call that entertainment, just.

theyare still in their "merckx" era. amateurs comparing to men.

sad but true.

c&cfan said:
she is amazing.

however if a man was doing this, you and others alike (maybe even me) would call him a doper.

sad but true.

Be that as it may, it does not take anything away from Vos' achievements. That would be an incredibly ignorant notion.

c&cfan said:
she is amazing.

sad but true.
So because they aren't as fast as men it isn't sport? You can comment on the lower standard, or lesser talent pool making it easier to dominate in such a way, sure, but let's not try to pretend that women's cycling is like pro wrestling or something.

Anyway it's good to know you consider women's cycling entertainment. The hour-a-day Giro Donne highlights have been pretty good I have to say. Any tips for how to see more other than the girdon2009 and CyclingDonne youtube channels?

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
Be that as it may, it does not take anything away from Vos' achievements. That would be an incredibly ignorant notion.

obviously. but you can compare how hard it was to win paris-roubaix and the tour at the same season in 1970 (amateurs) as it is now. maybe it is even impossible (nowadays). to some ignorants, that means that merckx was a alien the best ever and cannot exist another like him. even if we know the "extras"... for the others it means that cycling is professional and specialized now, etc.

vos wins in so many places because a) they aren't as professional as men B) she is the best. they have a long way to go.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
So because they aren't as fast as men it isn't sport? You can comment on the lower standard, or lesser talent pool making it easier to dominate in such a way, sure, but let's not try to pretend that women's cycling is like pro wrestling or something.

Anyway it's good to know you consider women's cycling entertainment. The hour-a-day Giro Donne highlights have been pretty good I have to say. Any tips for how to see more other than the girdon2009 and CyclingDonne youtube channels?

it is a sport, but it is still a "baby". they aren't as professional as men. they are always the same in contention in pretty much any kind of race.

you don't see contador in roubaix. is that because he isn't talented enough? funny.. even the uniballer called him the most talented guy ever in this sport. i also believe that.

i respect more contador gilbert cav and canc achievements than those of vos.

c&cfan said:
obviously. but you can compare how hard it was to win paris-roubaix and the tour at the same season in 1970 (amateurs) as it is now. maybe it is even impossible (nowadays). to some ignorants, that means that merckx was a alien the best ever and cannot exist another like him. even if we know the "extras"... for the others it means that cycling is professional and specialized now, etc.

vos wins in so many places because a) they aren't as professional as men B) she is the best. they have a long way to go.

That's all nice and true, but the only thing that matters is that she's the best, which is the reason of our admiration for her. That's not too hard to wrap your mind around now is it? Winning everything in every category is an amazing feat I don't care what you say.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
That's all nice and true, but the only thing that matters is that she's the best, which is the reason of our admiration for her. That's not too hard to wrap your mind around now is it? Winning everything in every category is an amazing feat I don't care what you say.

it isn't better than what gil conti canc and cav are doing.

TRENDING THREADS