• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phillippe Gaumont - Heart Attack

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
There is no life without risk, that´s all one can say. He seems to have taken many risks, like many before him, and many after him.

I would like to imagine that you are an intelligent poster who is just a little misguided but even that is hard to do. Tell me again that you think doping is healthy and should be encouraged.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Zweistein said:
I would like to imagine that you are an intelligent poster who is just a little misguided but even that is hard to do. Tell me again that you think doping is healthy and should be encouraged.

I just say:

1) Doping = taking medicine listed on the WADA lists of prohibited PEDs

2) Taking medicine related to "1)" =/= automatically an unhealthy thing.

In the special case of Gaumont: he still might have been fitter and healthier than the average 40yr old.

If he really is dead: Rest in peace, man.

If not: fingers crossed, prayers to him.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
I just say:

1) Doping = taking medicine listed on the WADA lists of prohibited PEDs

2) Taking medicine related to "1)" =/= automatically an unhealthy thing.

In the special case of Gaumont: he still might have been fitter and healthier than the average 40yr old.

If he really is dead: Rest in peace, man.

If not: fingers crossed, prayers to him.

"EPO, testosterone and HGH are hormones that the body also produces, naturally. Intensive, long lasting endurance training and racing will lead to the situation that the body itself, naturally and "cleanly", has problems to keep a sufficient level of the hormones, endogenously."

I am sorry. I forgot EPO, steroids, and HGH were medicine. Using these products is natural.:rolleyes: You push the exact same argument that team managers and doping doctors use on young riders. It is medicine and you aren't healthy.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Zweistein said:
"EPO, testosterone and HGH are hormones that the body also produces, naturally. Intensive, long lasting endurance training and racing will lead to the situation that the body itself, naturally and "cleanly", has problems to keep a sufficient level of the hormones, endogenously."

I am sorry. I forgot EPO, steroids, and HGH were medicine. Using these products is natural.:rolleyes: You push the exact same argument that team managers and doping doctors use on young riders. It is medicine and you aren't healthy.

No, I just want to say there is not just black and white.

As I said, some stuff he used, like amphetamines, are really poison for the body. No doubt about that.

Concerning EPO, however, having had a HCT of 48 or 49 instead of your normal 42 (just an example) over few months a year, for 10 or 12 years, won´t make you die aged 40. It may even have helped you to better resist the health dangers which come from racing 100 days a year and ride 35.000 km a year.

Gaumont seems to have taken "too many and much PEDs to call it healthy", and he admitted to that. I, however, refuse to believe that this is the only reason why he now fell to coma and apparently died.

The news about him make me feel a little sad, to be honest. He lived just the normal, average pro cycling lifestyle, and the mentality of the Bindas and Coppis and Bartalis and Merckxs and Hinaults and Gaumonts was and is just the same as we find it in the peloton nowadays, and will find it in the future pro peloton.

We find the same mentalities amongst wrestlers and bodybuilders, also in soccer, tennis, athletics, triathlon and skiing. The peak comes early in life, between 20 and 38, circa. They just do it.

We know Gaumont for his Wevelgem victory, for his years at one of the most important teams in cycling, Cofidis. We´d never have heard from him without these years. Then, he´d just have been the 38 or 39 or 40 year old café bar owner from a 6000 inhabitant French village.

He knew that, and I´m sure, he didn´t regret much.

I have big respect for him, and for the hundreds of other former pros. Only few of them, like Pereiro, Jalabert, Moreau, Bugno, Kelly, Hinault, that means, the really successful ones, have remained in the spotlight, though this spotlight became and becomes weaker as time goes by. The average pros from former times, watercarriers, second and third categories top riders, have disappeared, don´t benefit financially any longer from having been pro, often have serious health related problems, and the memories of past times is all they still have.

This page mentioned up above, dopeology.com, is, IMHO, the greatest source one could have, it´s unique and the best I´ve ever seen, concerning doping in cycling. If you consider that it lists everything that became public from 1980 on, and then realize that only 5 or 10 percent or everything that happened, became public, you see that it´s such a big issue, just an elementary part of cycling.

In soccer, not even 1 percent becomes public, I´m sure. And they do as much EPO, GH, cortisone and so on as cyclists do. And no one knows, or wants to know.

Gaumont was neither a black sheep nor a "nutter, very gifted in manipulating people" (Millar). He was just a pro cyclist, and if he died now, a man that died early. Still, "if", then all I say is, "Rest in peace".

RHRH19861986 said:
No, I just want to say there is not just black and white.

As I said, some stuff he used, like amphetamines, are really poison for the body. No doubt about that.

Concerning EPO, however, having had a HCT of 48 or 49 instead of your normal 42 (just an example) over few months a year, for 10 or 12 years, won´t make you die aged 40. It may even have helped you to better resist the health dangers which come from racing 100 days a year and ride 35.000 km a year.

Gaumont seems to have taken "too many and much PEDs to call it healthy", and he admitted to that. I, however, refuse to believe that this is the only reason why he now fell to coma and apparently died.

The news about him make me feel a little sad, to be honest. He lived just the normal, average pro cycling lifestyle, and the mentality of the Bindas and Coppis and Bartalis and Merckxs and Hinaults and Gaumonts was and is just the same as we find it in the peloton nowadays, and will find it in the future pro peloton.

We find the same mentalities amongst wrestlers and bodybuilders, also in soccer, tennis, athletics, triathlon and skiing. The peak comes early in life, between 20 and 38, circa. They just do it.

We know Gaumont for his Wevelgem victory, for his years at one of the most important teams in cycling, Cofidis. We´d never have heard from him without these years. Then, he´d just have been the 38 or 39 or 40 year old café bar owner from a 6000 inhabitant French village.

He knew that, and I´m sure, he didn´t regret much.

I have big respect for him, and for the hundreds of other former pros. Only few of them, like Pereiro, Jalabert, Moreau, Bugno, Kelly, Hinault, that means, the really successful ones, have remained in the spotlight, though this spotlight became and becomes weaker as time goes by. The average pros from former times, watercarriers, second and third categories top riders, have disappeared, don´t benefit financially any longer from having been pro, often have serious health related problems, and the memories of past times is all they still have.

This page mentioned up above, dopeology.com, is, IMHO, the greatest source one could have, it´s unique and the best I´ve ever seen, concerning doping in cycling. If you consider that it lists everything that became public from 1980 on, and then realize that only 5 or 10 percent or everything that happened, became public, you see that it´s such a big issue, just an elementary part of cycling.

In soccer, not even 1 percent becomes public, I´m sure. And they do as much EPO, GH, cortisone and so on as cyclists do. And no one knows, or wants to know.

Gaumont was neither a black sheep nor a "nutter, very gifted in manipulating people" (Millar). He was just a pro cyclist, and if he died now, a man that died early. Still, "if", then all I say is, "Rest in peace".

I liked him because he called out David Miller and said BS to the amount of drugs Miller said he took.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
I liked him because he called out David Miller and said BS to the amount of drugs Miller said he took.

Exactly, good point.

Sometimes, life is strange: they all did the same. Millar, nowadays, is hyped and celebrated; his confession clearly was only part of the truth, no one knows if he has stopped PEDs. Gaumont left the sport and so felt free to tell all the truth, went back to an average life, and now pays the highest price.

Impossible to say who´s been and is a "good" or "bad" person. It´s just not possible.

Since I have been following cycling closely, there have been some persons who really went from 100 to zero remarkably fast. Pantani, Jimenez, Ullrich, Sinkewitz, Michael Rasmussen, Ricco, Frank VDB, Gaumont, and so on. Some of them even died really early. It´s just part of the game, and nothing will change. Nevertheless, pro cycling is and remains, IMHO, the greatest and most attractive of all kinds of sports.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:

Originally Posted by Rusty Bike View Post
Gaumont was a complete lunatic.

Your response:

"100% agree.

He was not much better than Frank Vandenbroucke.

For me, insane people. If every pro cyclist was like them, I´d refuse to follow pro cycling.

These people, for me, from mentality point of view, are/have been closer to being drug addicts than to "just average" doped cyclists. "

Are you trolling or just not that bright? You are not at all consistent.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Zweistein said:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bike View Post
Gaumont was a complete lunatic.

Your response:

"100% agree.

He was not much better than Frank Vandenbroucke.

For me, insane people. If every pro cyclist was like them, I´d refuse to follow pro cycling.

These people, for me, from mentality point of view, are/have been closer to being drug addicts than to "just average" doped cyclists. "

Are you trolling or just not that bright? You are not at all consistent.

I think both kinds of rating him are not untrue.

He was extreme, that´s the only point we seem to agree. Plus, I tried to learn more about him, to understand him.

Public attitude towards him is the same: he was a celebrated cycling star as well as someone who was hated by many.

I admit to have changed attitude as soon as I started to learn more about his time in the peloton and the years after.

Same as Lance: first, celebrated hero, then, regarded as a criminal. What is true? Maybe both sides, maybe none of them.

Worst thing an intelligent person can or should do, and that´s for sure, is to just follow common public moods: celebrate them, and then kick them to hell. That´s hypocrite, and that´s what I dislike most.

frenchfry said:
The French press (and cyclingnews) are now reporting the death of Philippe Gaumont. Once again, unfortunate news and condolences to his falily and friends.
thank you for that :(

condolences to family, friends, and those he worked with. he was definitely a huge character and will be missed.

rest in peace, Philippe.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
Exactly, good point.

Sometimes, life is strange: they all did the same. Millar, nowadays, is hyped and celebrated; his confession clearly was only part of the truth, no one knows if he has stopped PEDs. Gaumont left the sport and so felt free to tell all the truth, went back to an average life, and now pays the highest price.

Impossible to say who´s been and is a "good" or "bad" person. It´s just not possible.

Since I have been following cycling closely, there have been some persons who really went from 100 to zero remarkably fast. Pantani, Jimenez, Ullrich, Sinkewitz, Michael Rasmussen, Ricco, Frank VDB, Gaumont, and so on. Some of them even died really early. It´s just part of the game, and nothing will change. Nevertheless, pro cycling is and remains, IMHO, the greatest and most attractive of all kinds of sports.

What confession? He was caught. He was looking at jail time.

Millar is looking after Millar.