• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Photography thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Humboldt County, Northern California

AjYmkgX.jpg

URmJMN2.jpg

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Thanks! It's the lighthouse at Trinidad, which actually has now been moved. Complicated story. https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-11-29/lighthouse-sea-rise-native-americans-humboldt

Not sure where it's sitting right now actually. Definitely a less iconic view now without it.
Sad, sounds like nobody wins in this scenario. While probably difficult to access at least the original lighthouse is still there, it's kind of a bummer it no longer has the Fresnel lense.

We have some lighthouses on the Oregon coast, the nearest one to me being Heceta Head. I've visited it a few times, it's a beautiful lighthouse with a first order Fresnel lense. During a tour they wouldn't even let us near the lense, all we could do was climb a ladder, take a peek at it, and then climb back down. It's understandable, the lense is irreplaceable.

Reactions: red_flanders
Sad, sounds like nobody wins in this scenario. While probably difficult to access at least the original lighthouse is still there, it's kind of a bummer it no longer has the Fresnel lense.

We have some lighthouses on the Oregon coast, the nearest one to me being Heceta Head. I've visited it a few times, it's a beautiful lighthouse with a first order Fresnel lense. During a tour they wouldn't even let us near the lense, all we could do was climb a ladder, take a peek at it, and then climb back down. It's understandable, the lense is irreplaceable.
I gave a photo of that lighthouse at Heceta Headto a friend for his birthday one year, it is beautiful.

I gave a photo of that lighthouse at Heceta Headto a friend for his birthday one year, it is beautiful.
One of these days I may learn how to spell lens correctly, but in the meantime here's a pic of Heceta Head that isn't my own. I wasn't interested in photography back when I last visited, since then they've restored the lighthouse as much as they could. I think it would be such a shame to lose these old world lighthouses to modern technology, they have so many stories to tell.

Btw., do you still have that photo of Heceta you had taken?

Last edited:
One of these days I may learn how to spell lens correctly, but in the meantime here's a pic of Heceta Head that isn't my own. I wasn't interested in photography back when I last visited, since then they've restored the lighthouse as much as they could. I think it would be such a shame to lose these old world lighthouses to modern technology, they have so many stories to tell.

Btw., do you still have that photo of Heceta you had taken?

Nice shot. I didn’t take it, just a print I bought that I thought he’d like.

Ah, autumn colours, I love them.
I've spent three marvelous holidays in the Alps end of October, with the larch trees 'on fire', some fresh snow on the high mountains, and glorious blue skies. This one (Oct. 2016) is from near Bellwald, Switzerland, a region (Goms) where I lived for 4 months for research (2013). Fantastic landscapes (and mountain passes: Furka, Grimsel, Nufenen).

rasRQfV.jpg

From a 2-day hike + camping in the wild in the Pyrenees (a walk that started from the Col de Pailhères). That was last year, my wife and our 3 children (the 7, 8 and 10). Very nice atmosphere, no-one there, and from that little lake you could see no buildings, road, infrastructure anywhere. Our tents are bottom right. Sunsets are a little cheesy, but it really was magnificent.

5e0TxSb.jpg

From a 2-day hike + camping in the wild in the Pyrenees (a walk that started from the Col de Pailhères). That was last year, my wife and our 3 children (the 7, 8 and 10). Very nice atmosphere, no-one there, and from that little lake you could see no buildings, road, infrastructure anywhere. Our tents are bottom right. Sunsets are a little cheesy, but it really was magnificent.

5e0TxSb.jpg
Beautiful.

Nice! I take it the surfers don't have to worry about sharks in that area?

Btw., I especially like the pic of the lighthouse, which one is this?
Thanks! Yeah, well there are sharks anywhere...just such low odds of an attack that no one thinks much about it. About 1000x more likely getting in a fatal car wreck driving to the beach. There are Great Whites about, especially in the areas where the sea lions feed and breed, mostly a bit north of Santa Cruz in Año Nuevo and the Farallons.

It's Pigeon Point lighthouse on the way north from Santa Cruz, on the San Mateo coast. https://goo.gl/maps/1fhh9Frb7LUfs1uH9

Wednesday and Thursday in San Diego warnings,if in doubt don't paddle out..thick blue tubes w 10-12 ft faces..surf report says " expert only " I don't qualify..
For anyone who doesn't think that they are a photographer..go to Muir Woods and just start snapping..you are guaranteed to come away with a huge gold photo nugget..
I have on a flash drive some shots from a place called Condon Peak..outside Coalinga California..no offense but ugly start..lots of nothing,smelling crops and cattle and then a few prisons, @20-30 miles of oil fields..just keep going and in an instant you are in a post card..rolling grassy slopes w an increase in trees as you go up in elevation..the photos are of deer and sunsets..and a few uber bright stars..
I am looking through thumb drive after thumb drive..discovering other things..time lapse car interior replacement videos and a how to video of airbox removal and modification on a motorcycle I have not owned for 10 years..
Red excellent shots..

Wednesday and Thursday in San Diego warnings,if in doubt don't paddle out..thick blue tubes w 10-12 ft faces..surf report says " expert only " I don't qualify..
For anyone who doesn't think that they are a photographer..go to Muir Woods and just start snapping..you are guaranteed to come away with a huge gold photo nugget..
I have on a flash drive some shots from a place called Condon Peak..outside Coalinga California..no offense but ugly start..lots of nothing,smelling crops and cattle and then a few prisons, @20-30 miles of oil fields..just keep going and in an instant you are in a post card..rolling grassy slopes w an increase in trees as you go up in elevation..the photos are of deer and sunsets..and a few uber bright stars..
I am looking through thumb drive after thumb drive..discovering other things..time lapse car interior replacement videos and a how to video of airbox removal and modification on a motorcycle I have not owned for 10 years..
Red excellent shots..
Thanks Unchained. Post some!

Red excellent shots..
Thanks Unchained. Post some!
Agree, go ahead and post some pics, Unchained. Even though it's only a hop and skip away I haven't been to California in 25 years, and back then I didn't take any pictures. All I have from my trips is an old t-shirt from Disneyland.

TRENDING THREADS