• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pick the Date When the Clinic Implodes.....

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Le Dawg will throw out the ear piece and go full genius. Win a MTF by 7 minutes.

The Clinic will have a meltdown. The Internet might overheat.

If Porte goes top 3 also on GC - that will be like a seismic event, Internet speed will slow down, share prices will drop worldwide.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
If Porte goes top 3 also on GC - that will be like a seismic event, Internet speed will slow down, share prices will drop worldwide.

It'll be the full podium for sky come July: Froomey, Wiggo & Porte. Has this ever happened before or new record ?

thehog said:
I heard Murdoch wants to buy the Clinic.

Turn it into a News of the World styled tabloid.
Excellent idea. They do say there's money in doping, so why not?

The Clinic, relaunched, with a section for each major sport. Forum regulars would become D-list celebs. Whole careers could spin off.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Master50 said:
Too much is far from healthy. Too many Clinic regulars can't even tell when a subject might be better out of the clinic.

We might or might not agree whether the current debate in the clinic is healthy, for what exactly is a healthy debate? For those with the conviction cycling is one big dirty hole of dopers, but would like to see it otherwise, the only healthy debate is one that points this out, one that questions the current state of affairs. Thus, what kind of debate would be healthy for the clinic depends on your convictions about the current state of cycling.

What I do think is that the clinic, even in a unhealthy state, enables us to talk about cycling in the "professional road racing" forum. Imagine all the threads there flooded with doping remarks, questions and insinuations. Of course, the moderating team could decide to ban all doping related talk from the fora, but that would not be healthy either. CN should not embrace any kind of total silence regarding possible doping issues.

Thus, the clinic, whether or not healthy, makes it possible to have a cycling forum which embraces free speech.

Master50 said:
Far too much certainty without evidence. You'd never want one of these regulars adjudicate anything since they hardly think process matters, only their sense of what is credible? Given the weight and impact of the subject on cycling I thought that maybe some real intelligent conversation might come out of this but mostly it is SKY is dirty and along with Sky every one is still doping and don't forget they all take drugs.
And then there is the constant declarations of how the system works by people that don't have any idea.

It depends on the ethical stance you're taking on doping. The most widely accepted stance within (Western) ethics is that someone is innocent until proven guilty, a principle embraced by the modern anti-doping prosecutions. The default base hypothesis, the null hypothesis so to say, is that someone is innocent; the only way to assume the alternative hypothesis, the hypothesis that some is guilty, is to present evidence that falsifies that null hypothesis.

While this principle of "innocent until proven guilty" is widely accepted in legal ethics, it is not a universal truth or a principle that everyone should apply to their own thinking. Most of our clinics pessimistic debaters hold a reversed version of that principle: They assume that all world-class performing cyclists are dirty, unless there are clear indications of innocence. As it is very, very hard to prove innocence -- if you don't accepts statements or absence of positive tests as sufficient evidence for falsifying the "dirty null hypothesis" -- almost every great performance is classified as dirty.

Personally, I don't think that is a healthy attitude, but evidence from the past shows us that the sensitivity of the anti-doping system is relatively low, it is unable to falsify the innocence hypothesis even if it should be rejected (type II error in statistics). Therefore, the current stance of "cycling is (so much) clean(er) now", displayed by so many teams for commercial reasons, is also an unhealthy stance; we should be sceptical.

Master50 said:
Guys it isn't UCI that keeps them in the anti doping game it is the WADA rules that have prevented the UCI from getting completely out of it as we might all agree is a good idea.

Here it's easy to see that an opinion whether or not the clinic is considered healthy is intimately connected to an opinion about the current state of cycling. You have an opinion about the UCI and WADA, others might not agree. Their failure to align themselves with your opinion might not be pure "negativity", it might just be a different perspective. If their perspective more closely resembles reality, their "negativity" is just realism and all the "thrash talk" is justified. In that case, the clinic is completely healthy.

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Oh, noes. The mugs ain't buyin' the latest version of the same fairy tale the hucksters are foisting on the public. It's the mugs' fault.

How can anyone have any optimism with the Sky fraud going on? Get a message up to central command, dude, and tell them to dial it back to within the realm of believability. Then people will be able to pretend that everything is okay.

Tell me why don't you believe they are clean?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Here it's easy to see that an opinion whether or not the clinic is considered healthy is intimately connected to an opinion about the current state of cycling. You have an opinion about the UCI and WADA, others might not agree. Their failure to align themselves with your opinion might not be pure "negativity", it might just be a different perspective. If their perspective more closely resembles reality, their "negativity" is just realism and all the "thrash talk" is justified. In that case, the clinic is completely healthy.[/QUOTE]

You use a lot of big words and throw some psychology in some pseudo analysis of my "Opinion" but the rules are rules and the UCI is Required to administer its anti-doping program. My only opinion is whether the UCI wants the job or not. The rules are clear. Olympic sports that are signatories to the WADA code will be running their own anti Doping programs. Rules can be changed but if Cycling is the only sport that wants anti doping to be directly under WADA My opinion would be the UCI will be responsible for their anti doping efforts and Wada will criticize it.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
When Froome at the beginning of alp d'huez looks back over his shoulder, gives Alberto 'the look' and just sprints away :D

Also when Richie drops Alberto, and when Wiggo catches Alberto in the TT

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
webbie146 said:
When Froome at the beginning of alp d'huez looks back over his shoulder, gives Alberto 'the look' and just sprints away :D

Also when Richie drops Alberto, and when Wiggo catches Alberto in the TT
Is that at the first or the second passage of the Alpe?

Would love to see a Gewiss on l'Alpe ;)

So I can point my finger, of course.

Even beating the time of Lucho on Ventoux/Alpe would be sufficient for me. By anyone.

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Master50 said:
Far too much certainty without evidence. [...] There is no optimism or positive energy coming out of that area.

How can anyone have any optimism with the Sky fraud going on?

Too much certainty without evidence? Hmmm...

iZnoGouD said:
BroDeal said:
How can anyone have any optimism with the Sky fraud going on?
Tell me why don't you believe they are clean?

Yay! Yet another Clinic thread that ends up being all about Sky! Wooo!

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Is that at the first or the second passage of the Alpe?

Would love to see a Gewiss on l'Alpe ;)

So I can point my finger, of course.

Even beating the time of Lucho on Ventoux/Alpe would be sufficient for me. By anyone.

Yes Ferrari will make that happen for you! They will indeed go on the first passage. Froome, Richie, and Wiggo will sprint away and win the stage with at-least a 5 minute difference :D

Also Richie will have a 'very bad day' and lose 10 minutes on the second big mtf. But no worries he will do a Floyd and gain 15 minutes the day after.

Doping will never die.
"The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues"
Ergo Clinic will never be closed.
However there are a some situations in which Clinic will implode
1) when >20% of the riders test positive
2) When LA begs for forgiveness
3) When one rider wins Giro tour Vuelta treble in single year
4) When one rider wins 5 monuments in single year
5) When all top riders test positive
6) when a superman undetectable drug is invented.
etc....

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
WillemS said "What I do think is that the clinic, even in a unhealthy state, enables us to talk about cycling in the "professional road racing" forum. Imagine all the threads there flooded with doping remarks, questions and insinuations. Of course, the moderating team could decide to ban all doping related talk from the fora, but that would not be healthy either. CN should not embrace any kind of total silence regarding possible doping issues.

Thus, the clinic, whether or not healthy, makes it possible to have a cycling forum which embraces free speech."

Chapeau to you Sir!

I for one would hate it if the hopeless 'all cycling is doping' dogmatists started posting in the racing threads.

webbie146 said:
Yes Ferrari will make that happen for you! They will indeed go on the first passage. Froome, Richie, and Wiggo will sprint away and win the stage with at-least a 5 minute difference :D

Also Richie will have a 'very bad day' and lose 10 minutes on the second big mtf. But no worries he will do a Floyd and gain 15 minutes the day after.

My concern is that Frommie-Dawg and RichieBorg (v2.23) don't have kids. Which means they might dope. They don't have to face other parents at Rugby so it means that might fall to temptation.

Master50 said:
Too much is far from healthy. Too many Clinic regulars can't even tell when a subject might be better out of the clinic. Far too much certainty without evidence. You'd never want one of these regulars adjudicate anything since they hardly think process matters, only their sense of what is credible? Given the weight and impact of the subject on cycling I thought that maybe some real intelligent conversation might come out of this but mostly it is SKY is dirty and along with Sky every one is still doping and don't forget they all take drugs.
And then there is the constant declarations of how the system works by people that don't have any idea.
Guys it isn't UCI that keeps them in the anti doping game it is the WADA rules that have prevented the UCI from getting completely out of it as we might all agree is a good idea. More than anything it is the negativity. There is no optimism or positive energy coming out of that area. They are creating the uforum they deserve, an ill one.

Then why are you here & why keep posting here if you're so unhappy?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Master50 said:
Too much is far from healthy. Too many Clinic regulars can't even tell when a subject might be better out of the clinic. Far too much certainty without evidence. You'd never want one of these regulars adjudicate anything since they hardly think process matters, only their sense of what is credible? Given the weight and impact of the subject on cycling I thought that maybe some real intelligent conversation might come out of this but mostly it is SKY is dirty and along with Sky every one is still doping and don't forget they all take drugs.
Guys it isn't UCI that keeps them in the anti doping game it is the WADA rules that have prevented the UCI from getting completely out of it as we might all agree is a good idea. More than anything it is the negativity. There is no optimism or positive energy coming out of that area. They are creating the forum they deserve, an ill one.

Yeah, yeah, we get. We are all just a bunch of dumb hillbillies.