• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pierre Rolland discussion

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
barmaher said:
I think he has a right chance to finish on the podium. If he doesn't do it on the TDF parcours, he can forget about it.

It is Vitally Important that he doesn't lose time on the cobbles.

Vitally Important.
I'd say Rolland has as good a chance as any one outside of the main 4, Purito and Valverde but his major issue is always the first week. If he didn't have to go chasing time at this years Giro, he almost certainly would have made the podium but he was a couple of minutes down before the mountains even started.

I have to agree on his climbing style, great to watch. I also think that he's one of the most tactically astute riders getting around as well. The way Rolland uses his team is often very clever.

Re:

mr. tibbs said:
Two stages down, a strong finish in an Ardennes sprint, and sitting at ST with Froome, Quintana, Aru, et al. Maybe a shot at the podium if his climbing diesel holds out through that brutal final week.
Not a chance. And I like him. If he's smart, he'll lose a bunch of time before the Pyrenees, do all the breakaways after that, and Virenque the KOM. Otherwise, he won't be consistent enough, will lose a ton on the first ITT. I could be wrong, but I think that he's on the downslope, his high water mark was the '14 Giro. What a performance that was. And the ITT did him. He's messing with much bigger fishes here...

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Would love to see him 1st of French, forgotten man by the media but a class rider who on form is second best in big climbing days behind pinot. Top 10 is probably best he can get (around 7-8th)

I would say he looked quite a bit more comfortable than many other top10 contenders today. Hopefully he will be not any worse in terrain that suits him even better.

Mountain support is kind of isssue, though. He was isolated quite early today. Any mechanical probelm with his bike could lose him a lot of time. I hoped Craddock would hang onto a bit longer.

Anderis said:
I would say he looked quite a bit more comfortable than many other top10 contenders today. Hopefully he will be not any worse in terrain that suits him even better.

Mountain support is kind of isssue, though. He was isolated quite early today. Any mechanical probelm with his bike could lose him a lot of time. I hoped Craddock would hang onto a bit longer.
Well, he always looks comfortable, no?

Popchu said:
Anderis said:

Well, he always looks comfortable, no?

He has such a smooth riding style, gotta admire that on him.

Rolland, Vaughters and the pseudoscience of pro cycling

Vaughters declared Rolland had been "training like it's 1975" and suggested that Cannondale had made dramatic improvements in Rolland's position on the bike and so forth that would result in corresponding improvements in Rolland's performances. Rolland has looked about the same as past years even prior to the Tour.

Of course, few people and few journalists ever ask, "Where is the evidence?" when guys like Vaughters or cycling coaches make these sorts of unsupported declarations about training techniques, diet, chiropractory, pedal stroke, bike position, peloton positioning, et cetera.

With regards to training, 40 years later, Eddy's most famous advice is still probably the most reliable and with regards to diet, Tony Rominger's is probably still the best, certainly for we Fred's.

Re:

Moviefan1203 said:
That was a nasty crash he was in. We'll never know what he might have done without it. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

His results prior to the Tour were about the same, perhaps less impressive, than past years. This sport is rife with people offering definitive advice that has little nor no scientific validation.