• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pikes Peak IHC

jmdirt said:
nevele neves said:
jmdirt said:
Does anyone else follow this?
RS has done a video project for the last four yeas (or so):
https://www.cyclenews.com/2019/06/article/pikes-peak-2019-project-thunder/

https://ppihc.org/fans/
Not a fan of pollution sports.
Then you should follow the ecar and ebike classes! VW's ecar is amazing!

EDIT: is there a pollution free sport? When 30-100,000 people drive to an event...
It is comedy to imagine fake green liberals trying to wrap their brains around supporting sports that pollute and still predicting the future of the planet will end in 12 years. Not saying that is you but more of general observation.

nevele neves said:
jmdirt said:
nevele neves said:
jmdirt said:

EDIT: is there a pollution free sport? When 30-100,000 people drive to an event...
It is comedy to imagine fake green liberals trying to wrap their brains around supporting sports that pollute and still predicting the future of the planet will end in 12 years. Not saying that is you but more of general observation.
I don't think that "fake green liberals" watch motor sports, but they might drive to an outdoor concert.

You don't watch 'pollution sports' (all of them IMO) yet you bag on people who drive hybrids. Even if they are 'fake green' they are making some difference. I make no bones about my 'green' choices: my number one motivation is me saving money. I have never calculated the savings from riding my klunker around town, but it saved me several coins and it might have also helped the air/water a little (my second motivation for some of my choices). Maybe I feel guilty about my 45 ish years of motorcycles so I try to offset it by not buying/using any single use plastic (bottles, bags...), and that saves me money too.

Well, I've hijacked my own thread I guess!

jmdirt said:
nevele neves said:
jmdirt said:
nevele neves said:
jmdirt said:

I don't think that "fake green liberals" watch motor sports, but they might drive to an outdoor concert.

You don't watch 'pollution sports' (all of them IMO) yet you bag on people who drive hybrids. Even if they are 'fake green' they are making some difference. I make no bones about my 'green' choices: my number one motivation is me saving money. I have never calculated the savings from riding my klunker around town, but it saved me several coins and it might have also helped the air/water a little (my second motivation for some of my choices). Maybe I feel guilty about my 45 ish years of motorcycles so I try to offset it by not buying/using any single use plastic (bottles, bags...), and that saves me money too.

Well, I've hijacked my own thread I guess!
I did not say anything about people who drive hybrids. F1 is hybrids by the way.
but back onto the subject of the event. It is a very cool event. I have been there and it is fun.

I do love the one-off type of nature of Pikes Peak and the fact that it has its own class of cars that are uniquely built with this one course in mind, much as Le Mans is. I am a fan of many types of motorsport, sportscars are my main love, however, and the WEC and Super GT are favourites of mine. Le Mans is the greatest day of motorsport of the year for me. But this is one of those truly iconic races - standing alone and above any series that they may or may not be included in. I've seen hillclimbs on TV a few times and I have to say they don't really translate as a TV discipline the same way as rallying or circuit-based racing, which may play a part in its comparative low profile. It's a shame there's not too much in the Unlimited division this year but I guess after 2018 it was almost 'mission accomplished' for VW, so the high profile names of the past are just that this year.

Sadly, it is one of those races that will never be free of the spectre of death. It is, ultimately, a road race, through extremely technical and difficult scenery. FIA, ACO, JAF, IRL and whoever can impose all manner of safety standards on road courses, and improve the characteristics of street circuits, but there is always risk associated with motorcycle racing (Sepang is an ultra-modern, high-tech road course, and MotoGP has some of the best safety standards in the history of motorcycling, but that couldn't prevent an incident like Marco Simoncelli's), and policing open-road events like Pikes Peak to that standard is simply an impossibility regardless of who organises. Much like the Isle of Man TT, which has over 250 fatalities attributed to it, it is unfortunately one of those events that you simply know the risk going in. Like somebody said on the board back when Dan Wheldon's fatal accident shone a light to some serious holes in IRL's safety policy, the only problem is that the drivers like racing at those speeds on those courses if anything even more than we like to see them do it.

TRENDING THREADS