Podium behaviour poll

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do you think Sagan’s behaviour on the podium wrong?

  • No - I like him even more after this.

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
Oct 29, 2009
357
0
0
ToreBear said:
Close your eyes. Imagine your one of the poduim "hunks" who are kissing Vos on the chin. Someone grabs your behind and you realize it's the girl who came second. Her name is Tammy Thomas and she has a huge grin on her face. Would you care?
No._________
 
It wasn't an overly smart thing to do, but hopefully he will learn from it. Once that sort of behaviour is in you, I am not sure how easy it is to remove, though.

Personally, I am more offended by the t-shirt he wore in the past, which is another indicator of where his head is.
 
Jul 25, 2011
157
0
0
King Boonen said:
The fact that this discussion and many like it, along with comments on his facebook 'apology', are on going just goes to prove many people can't make the distinction between genius rider but total @rsehole.
I thought it was rather clear that such behaviour is generally rejected .. despite his harmless and goofyness intention.

It's not that this makes him an @sshole, it's the action itself that is rejected, my example was just an analogy. (If most of your actions are like that you'll likely be considered an @sshole).

He is in no way a role model based on his moral grounds, nor should he be, that's not his function, that's for parents, family and teachers. This is clearly ment by the role model argument which I refute .. you try to generalize this which is wrong imo. Just because you are a role model for the success you achieved (being a good cyclist) doesn't mean you can invoke this as an argument when you do something bad.

Saying public/famous figures are automatically held role models in every sense of the word is wrong. Saying by the moment they sign a contract they are held accountable as a role model is wrong. I don't think it's in their contract for starters. I also watch athletes for their performances, not the moral guidance they may offer, that clearly isn't their job description.

Someone can aspire to be as/or be more successful than another. This doesn't mean they're automatically a role model. Yes you can be a role model on certain parameters (success, tactics, skills), yet most of the time you can perfectly filter out the bad ones. This to me indicates you don't need to invoke the role model argument as I ment earlier.

Think I'll leave it at that, if you want to make all these famous ppl role models just because they're famous do as you want, judging by their actions they clearly don't feel like it and I can't disagree with them. I hope I will raise my children good enough so they don't need a role model like Sagan or Nicky Minaj to tell them good from wrong. I would have clearly failed!
 
LOL this is a funny discussion.
Is there a new european directive about touching women's asses?
No wonder what is this silly discussion all about if Jane has flat breasts.
His behaviour should be disturbing only if the podium girl would be upset about that, otherwise people shouldn't judge others without knowing background. this is what hitler did.

btw... can you still remember who was the third guy on the podium? :rolleyes:
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,246
0
0
It gets a bit much with the boob-signing, a$$-grabbing and c0ck-and-pu$$y shirts.... to me it all makes him look rather simple-minded to put it mildly
 
Jun 2, 2010
377
0
0
Christian said:
It gets a bit much .... to me it all makes him look rather simple-minded to put it mildly
In interviews he sounds inteligent and reasonable.

He is 23 and extrovert, though.
 
Christian said:
It gets a bit much ... to me it all makes him look rather simple-minded to put it mildly
that moment when a rider can't even wear whatever he wants in a private family event . . . .

anyway to be honest my opinion about all of this is very simple, people like to feel like they are on some sort of moral high ground regarding others, particularly the more successful.
 
Parrulo said:
that moment when a rider can't even wear whatever he wants in a private family event . . . .

anyway to be honest my opinion about all of this is very simple, people like to feel like they are on some sort of moral high ground regarding others, particularly the more successful.
He can wear whatever he wants, of course, but what he chooses to wear is a sign of what kind of character he is. In this case, apparently, a dousche.

It would be the same if it was a Justin Bieber t-shirt, or a pro-furry t-shirt, or a t-shirt of my favourite band. It would affect how I see him because it would give me more info on his personality.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
hrotha said:
He can wear whatever he wants, of course, but what he chooses to wear is a sign of what kind of character he is. In this case, apparently, a dousche.

It would be the same if it was a Justin Bieber t-shirt, or a pro-furry t-shirt, or a t-shirt of my favourite band. It would affect how I see him because it would give me more info on his personality.
Maybe his friends gave him that T-shirt as a birthday present, and he chose to wear it to play along?

Do you think Prince Harry is a nazi after wearing that uniform on a party?
 
It shows how socially brainless the guy is, though it doesn't detract from his undeniable cycling prowess, which I do like to watch. The bum pinching though was frankly embarrassing. Embarrassing because someone should have told him, if he didn't already realize it himself, that in this age of feminism and indignant females, public demonstrations of misogyny are commonly viewed as indecorous.

That it's a kid from East Europe on an Italian cycling team doing it, however, isn't at all surprising. Yet since the Western media world has now come within the sphere of Anglo-Saxon morality and sensitivity in this regard, the gesture was just plain idiotic in terms of the image it produced, to say nothing of the offense to many women it would naturally have caused. That’s why using your brain sometimes before acting is useful. While not controlling our most base instincts is simply puerile and, more importantly to Sagan, unprofessional. Someone needs to educate the lad on what it means to behave in a professional manner within the public view and not that of a middle school prankster.
 
theyoungest said:
Maybe his friends gave him that T-shirt as a birthday present, and he chose to wear it to play along?
Maybe, but considering there's at least two separate photographs of him wearing that t-shirt on different occasions, I doubt that's the case.

I'm cutting the Prince Harry at a costume party bit because it's absurd to even bring it up.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
hrotha said:
Maybe, but considering there's at least two separate photographs of him wearing that t-shirt on different occasions, I doubt that's the case.

I'm cutting the Prince Harry at a costume party bit because it's absurd to even bring it up.
You mean: it's inconvenient to bring it up?

It's obvious you want to dislike the guy. Feel free to do so, why not. But based on wearing a stupid T-shirt, and acting stupidly on a podium... colorful figures from the past will have been happy they didn't have twitter, facebook and other antisocial media back then.
 
theyoungest said:
You mean: it's inconvenient to bring it up?

It's obvious you want to dislike the guy. Feel free to do so, why not. But based on wearing a stupid T-shirt, and acting stupidly on a podium... colorful figures from the past will have been happy they didn't have twitter, facebook and other antisocial media back then.
No, it's absurd because that was a frickin' costume party. No comparison.

It's obvious I want to dislike the guy? You have no idea how hard I've tried to like him. "Colourful figures" is apparently code for "giant dousches". There's other ways to stand out, you know.
 
rhubroma said:
It shows how socially brainless the guy is, though it doesn't detract from his undeniable cycling prowess, which I do like to watch. The bum pinching though was frankly embarrassing. Embarrassing because someone should have told him, if he didn't already realize it himself, that in this age of feminism and indignant females, public demonstrations of misogyny are commonly viewed as indecorous.

That it's a kid from East Europe on an Italian cycling team doing it, however, isn't at all surprising. Yet since the Western media world has now come within the sphere of Anglo-Saxon morality and sensitivity in this regard, the gesture was just plain idiotic in terms of the image it produced, to say nothing of the offense to many women it would naturally have caused. That’s why using your brain sometimes before acting is useful. While not controlling our most base instincts is simply puerile and, more importantly to Sagan, unprofessional. Someone needs to educate the lad on what it means to behave in a professional manner within the public view and not that of a middle school prankster.
I very much agree with you, i saw no harm in what he did, but knowing how the press is and how society is this days, he should know better and simply avoid the trouble.

hrotha said:
No, it's absurd because that was a frickin' costume party. No comparison.

It's obvious I want to dislike the guy? You have no idea how hard I've tried to like him. "Colourful figures" is apparently code for "giant dousches". There's other ways to stand out, you know.
when did grabbing a girls *** for comic relief, i highly doubt he did it to satisfy his sexual fantasies, make some1 a "giant ******"?

honestly, i hope you all like your moral high ground, just be careful not to fall somewhere along your life.
 
Parrulo said:
when did grabbing a girls *** for comic relief, i highly doubt he did it to satisfy his sexual fantasies, make some1 a "giant ******"?
I wouldn't be able to pinpoint a date but it's been that way for a while now. Fortunately.
honestly, i hope you all like your moral high ground, just be careful not to fall somewhere along your life.
The problem would not be failing to live up to my moral standards so much as trying to justify my failures and saying they are a-OK.
 
Sagan is still immature. It reflects in his celebrations and it was also reflected on the podium on Sunday.

I however won't mind such a guy in the peloton as long as he doesn't go tto far and makes serious offences.

He can fill Cipo's place.
 
hrotha said:
The problem would not be failing to live up to my moral standards so much as trying to justify my failures and saying they are a-OK.
LOL. so wearing stupid t-shirt is a FAILURE? i can hardly believe what i read. pass on the joint you're smoking buddy.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS