• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Podiums and Prizes

I suggested in the LeSamyn thread that we could use a thread about the indignities foisted upon cyclists (far more than in other sports?) by way of prizes and podium ceremonies.

We have seen (inter alia) lime green gnomes, piglets, live cows, huge wheels of cheese, impractical headwear, plastic ducks, outsize beer glasses and bottles, fluffy lions/wolves, and now a gift box of sex toys.

Your favourites/cringiest? (photos would definitely enhance the threat)

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
live cows

Of course, the best part is that he didn't get it on the podium - suppose that would have been difficult - but at the start-line the next day.

Talking about getting impractical prizes on the startline of a race: That one time Majka was handed a big box of nice Italian ham at the Giro:

giro113.png.jpg

And here's the cow!

8df6eaa5-e130-4e37-ad5f-602c81f92d40_1_90_0_0_1280_931_600_436_a050293c.jpg

Last edited:
The Classic Haribo used to award the winner (either the race and/or the combativity award) with his body weight in candy. Laurent Jalabert won a holiday in Réunion by winning the race 1996.

Also who can forget about Cav winning a lot of bananas in the Tour of Turkey over the years?

ejKwhMGpdqLYToEG5qJh26.jpg
mVPrJda.jpeg
107724.jpg

And apparently the city of Breckenridge awarded riders with a viking helmet on stages in the USA Pro Challenge/Tour of Colorado, in honour of the Norse god (not Norsgaard) Ullr.

cycling-3th-tour-of-colorado-2013-stage-2-podium-lachlan-david-morton-picture-id533381942

I guess in the category of prizes that seem a bit weird at first, but actually makes perfect sense, is the P-R rock. Doesn't exactly fit into the average trophy cabinet...
And then there was that one time when Ochowicz (at least I think it was hime...) was holding some long speech, and poor GVA was just standing there like "This is heavy."

Viviani looks jealous.

I guess in the category of prizes that seem a bit weird at first, but actually makes perfect sense, is the P-R rock. Doesn't exactly fit into the average trophy cabinet...
And then there was that one time when Ochowicz (at least I think it was hime...) was holding some long speech, and poor GVA was just standing there like "This is heavy."

It's quite famously not a rock...

Viviani looks jealous.

And imagine his surprise when he didn't get any himself when he won a stage later in the race.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS