• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Politics in Sports

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re:

BullsFan22 said:
I am neither pro West, pro East, pro South, pro North, pro Russia or somewhere in between. I don't really have a strong (negative or positive) opinion on Russia, I've never even been to the country or any other former Soviet republic, but the current political climate was ripe for the ban. It was waiting to happen. I had stop following news from the US or indeed some of the Western European countries as it was constant criticism of Russia, anything Russia. My honest opinion on this is that the ban is more to do with Russia's involvement in Ukraine and Syria, rather actual doping.
Hmmmmmmmm..... I think your posting history suggests otherwise.

The punishment might be rife with hypocrisy, but considering that Russia likely did the crime, it is hard to say that they are the victims in this drama.

djpbaltimore said:
BullsFan22 said:
I am neither pro West, pro East, pro South, pro North, pro Russia or somewhere in between. I don't really have a strong (negative or positive) opinion on Russia, I've never even been to the country or any other former Soviet republic, but the current political climate was ripe for the ban. It was waiting to happen. I had stop following news from the US or indeed some of the Western European countries as it was constant criticism of Russia, anything Russia. My honest opinion on this is that the ban is more to do with Russia's involvement in Ukraine and Syria, rather actual doping.

The punishment might be rife with hypocrisy, but considering that Russia likely did the crime, it is hard to say that they are the victims in this drama.
Yes, since there is no country that can claim that their athletes are clean, and while "state approved" doping might be harder to prove, its a stretch to think that any country is innocent.

djpbaltimore said:
BullsFan22 said:

Colin Kaepernick won SI's Ali Legacy award for social activism, and what really surprised me, is a finalist for Time's Person of the Year cover story, right up there with Trump, Vlad, Bezos and Rocket Man. He's not going to win it, but remarkable that he's on the list.

Merckx index said:
Colin Kaepernick won SI's Ali Legacy award for social activism, and what really surprised me, is a finalist for Time's Person of the Year cover story, right up there with Trump, Vlad, Bezos and Rocket Man. He's not going to win it, but remarkable that he's on the list.

North Korean Leader or Mike Hughes ?

Yesterday, US ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley mentioned that the US may not send its athletes to the Winter Olympics. Today, press secretary Sarah Sanders basically remained noncommittal about this when asked. Weird. USOC has the final say, but would they veto the wishes of the POTUS if it came to that?

For me the Giro starts in Sicily. I won't watch the first 3 stages for many reasons: The political one is the first and foremost, the second is that I don't support starting a Giro from that far and the third is the presence of someone that can steal results from other riders with a high chance of being stripped later.

Re:

slosada said:
For me the Giro starts in Sicily. I won't watch the first 3 stages for many reasons: The political one is the first and foremost, the second is that I don't support starting a Giro from that far and the third is the presence of someone that can steal results from other riders with a high chance of being stripped later.

The third reason would have to force you to miss the entirety of the Giro.

Re:

slosada said:
The transfer was longer in '14. Froome probably has less risk to be stripped of his results than Contador had in '11. As for the political concerns, to each his own, but I certainly wouldn't have Israel as any worse than most other Middle Eastern countries. Or China, for that matter.

staubsauger said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Mareczko has eight wins this year so far. Hardly an "off year". ;) And yes, I know what kind of races he won. But still.
Yeah, let's hope you're right and I'm wrong. I mean Guardini hardly wins in Malaysia and Croatia these days against poor competition. Maybe Mareczko only took a somewhat slower build-up to the Giro in contrast to Guardini's obvious decline. Would be nice, since there's still an open check between Viviani and Mareczko from 2 years ago when the italopolish youngster outsprinted his designated team leader in Argentina!

Actually I'm looking forward to the grande partenza in Jerusalem. Should be one of the best gt starts ever with the prolog up the temple mount and some very nice shots of Israels picturesque capital!
Israel's capital? I think you're forgetting something very important there.

Netserk said:
slosada said:
The transfer was longer in '14. Froome probably has less risk to be stripped of his results than Contador had in '11. As for the political concerns, to each his own, but I certainly wouldn't have Israel as any worse than most other Middle Eastern countries. Or China, for that matter.
+1

The third reason affects the whole Giro if he doesn't crash out.

Netserk said:
slosada said:
What is wrong with you people? Is a cycling race enough for you to deny what the state of Israel is, how it came to be what it is, and what it continues to do to Palestinians?

I'm not sure if you're posting out of naiveté, malice, or some sick form of moral relativism. Frankly, it doesn't really matter. It's not a political concern. It's about a series of heinous and ongoing crimes, the destruction and dispossession of an entire people and culture- all allowed, encouraged and funded by large portions of the international community. If this doesn't bother you, I don't know what will. Spot of genocide? Have at it, to each his own right?

Pirazziattacks said:
Netserk said:
slosada said:
What is wrong with you people? Is a cycling race enough for you to deny what the state of Israel is, how it came to be what it is, and what it continues to do to Palestinians?

I'm not sure if you're posting out of naiveté, malice, or some sick form of moral relativism. Frankly, it doesn't really matter. It's not a political concern. It's about a series of heinous and ongoing crimes, the destruction and dispossession of an entire people and culture- all allowed, encouraged and funded by large portions of the international community. If this doesn't bother you, I don't know what will. Spot of genocide? Have at it, to each his own right?

Off-topic. You can find some other forums focused on politics, geopolitics or whatever you like. But please don't start something here.
Same with slosada. I'm not an admin but I'm pretty sure it could go off-chart if you start with those kind of discussions. I'm not following CN forum to read some political propaganda, thanks.

Krokro said:
Pirazziattacks said:
Netserk said:
slosada said:

Off-topic. You can find some other forums focused on politics, geopolitics or whatever you like. But please don't start something here.
Same with slosada. I'm not an admin but I'm pretty sure it could go off-chart if you start with those kind of discussions. I'm not following CN forum to read some political propaganda, thanks.
The Giro is starting in Israel/Palestine. What do you want us to do, pretend there's nothing to talk about here? It's not off-topic, it couldn't be more relevant. I didn't make the decision to have the giro start there. The organisers did that, and so here we are. Politics and sport aren't somehow separate, they can't be.

You aren't here for politics, and yet you call my post 'propaganda'. See, you've expressed an opinion already. By the way, how is my post disruptive and a post saying this is all fine not?

I don't want it to degenerate in a clinic or political discussion. However I wanted to voice my point of view.

Hence, I just stated my feelings without elaborating, which is very sad as Giro is the best GT in the calendar. That's it, that's all.

And I didn't like the transfers from Ireland either.

Pirazziattacks said:
Netserk said:
slosada said:

Where is the denial?

It is entirely possible to be of the opinion that what Israel does is wrong (it's a bit more complex and nuanced than that), but also that not having a bike race there probably doesn't make a (positive) difference, and that it isn't an exceptional event to have the professional peloton at such a place. And that while the Giro is more important than the A.S.O. races in the nearby countries, Israel is still not as bad a place to have a bike race.

As I wrote, to each his own, but I personally don't see this as an exceptional event.

Netserk said:
slosada said:

Lets worry about the political reasons when footballers boycott the world cup in Russia, of course not something Italians and Dutch have to worry about

Re:

slosada said:

Well if you are consistent you won't be watching the Giro at all.

Re:

slosada said:
Too much times sport was partner of questionable things and is duty to take a position about it... I think your words are right and in the right place.

King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:
King Boonen said:
It was discussed in this thread on page one.
That doesn't change my opinion...

It does seem to question it though.
I'm not sure if you can question an opinion but, persuade me: how is the Giro starting in a foreign country "Politics in Sports"? How are politicians/politics in the region affecting the race/teams/riders?

FYI: I'm as aware as most that my opinion doesn't mean squat! :lol:

EDIT: You CAN question an opinion of course, but you know what I'm saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS