• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll: Contador vs. Froome - 2012 Vuelta

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is more likely to win the 2012 Vuelta?

• Chris Froome

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Erik_R said:
froome is good. probobly better than Wiggins.

But

At the same time, we all saw the Giro last year. He (Bertie) boy-toyed Nibali and the rest. Wiggins and Froome barely beat Nibali at the TdF.

I dont personally like Contador, but i must admit hes gonna crush the vuelta.

After saturday's stage Nibali will likely be 2-3 minutes behind Froome and 4-5 behind Wiggins. That's not Contador Giro'11 domination, but it's pretty definitive.

eta: Besides, that kind of math is nonsense anyway. You can't deduct performance by how someone else beat another person in a completely different race.

spalco said:
After saturday's stage Nibali will likely be 2-3 minutes behind Froome and 4-5 behind Wiggins. That's not Contador Giro'11 domination, but it's pretty definitive.

eta: Besides, that kind of math is nonsense anyway. You can't deduct performance by how someone else beat another person in a completely different race.

But in il Giro there wasn't 100 TT km. Alberto would've won by 10 minutes lol.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
spalco said:

You are right, but anyway Contador smashed the Giro alone, his team was a joke. Nibali with a stronger team and better tactics could put the yellow in danger in this edition.

B_Ugli said:
Surely this would have to be the race of the year if Froome rides and these two go head to head?

Contador with a point to prove after his ban and Froome out to prove himself as the best stage racer this this year (some would say).

Froome has confirmed for Vuelta. Bertie by a country mile, lack of racing legs maybe but by all accounts he's going to be more than ready.The GT's without AC just arent the same, every rider knows he's the ultimate yardstick.AC by 3-4 mins for me.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:
Sky can peak all year, remember? :rolleyes:

I was thinking this earlier. We've seen Wiggins, Porte and Rogers be incredible from February to July, but Froomey only showed up in June at the Dauphine. So should we be anticipating another ridiculous long peak from the alien, spanning Dauphine, Tour, Olympics, Vuelta, Worlds and Lombardia? ;)

Vino attacks everyone said:
well, it is certainly possible in PCM so why not... :D

Not without a great deal of fatigue. Even PCM is realistic. Winning all 3 grand tours is very hard even with Contador :p You have to win them at 90%, because if you peak one at 100% your rider is too fatigued.

A PN-Romandie-Dauphine-Tour like Wiggins did is not so hard tho :p

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
will10 said:
I was thinking this earlier. We've seen Wiggins, Porte and Rogers be incredible from February to July, but Froomey only showed up in June at the Dauphine. So should we be anticipating another ridiculous long peak from the alien, spanning Dauphine, Tour, Olympics, Vuelta, Worlds and Lombardia? ;)

Think Froome was unwell again, and apparently only started training for the Tour in April of this year.

Correct, Contador is the yardstick, and I think that he will become stronger as the race develops. I don't think that his performance will suffer overly due to the absence (the gap has been much shorter than previous bans).

With the CAS hearing looming AC was also under a great deal of mental pressure during the Giro. Lets be honest, even taking this into account he utterly blitzed the field. Although he lacks competition, now that he is rested he should in theory perform better (I hope!).

auscyclefan94 said:
Mikkel Conde: Danish TV tells that Alberto Contador called Bjarne Riis yesterday to say he wants Chris Anker Sørensen in the Vuelta to help him

And why would CAS' legs be any less shot than anyone else after the tour? (Seriously.)

If Froome competed well against AC in the vuelta would that not be the most suspicious result imaginable, especially if he is also competing in the Olympics.

ggusta said:
And why would CAS' legs be any less shot than anyone else after the tour? (Seriously.)

If Froome competed well against AC in the vuelta would that not be the most suspicious result imaginable, especially if he is also competing in the Olympics.

Yes it would be. I suspect he'll withdraw after a week citing fatigue.

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Obviously Contador. It's just too hard to come out of the Tour and then do well at the Vuelta (slightly easier than Giro-Tour perhaps, but only slightly). Plus Froome's got to do the Olympic road race and time trial in between - he'll have 2.5 weeks off after that before Spain. Not enough. And I doubt he'll have much of a team to support him/they will be tired (maybe Henao and Uran will ride, I don't know), whereas Saxo Bank left a lot of its good riders behind for the Tour precisely so they could work for Contador in Spain.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Cult Classics said:
Obviously Contador. It's just too hard to come out of the Tour and then do well at the Vuelta (slightly easier than Giro-Tour perhaps, but only slightly). Plus Froome's got to do the Olympic road race and time trial in between - he'll have 2.5 weeks off after that before Spain. Not enough. And I doubt he'll have much of a team to support him/they will be tired (maybe Henao and Uran will ride, I don't know), whereas Saxo Bank left a lot of its good riders behind for the Tour precisely so they could work for Contador in Spain.

you never know what alien is capable of doing:p

ggusta said:

i suppose some guys who dont do that much in the tour can end up better than those who go deep to compete - see Mollemas great performance last year.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I voted for Contador. If Cobo can beat Froome imagine what Contador will do to him. De Gendt to come in second. Assuming they all race.

Andre

TRENDING THREADS