• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll - Do you CARE if Lance doped?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do you care if Lance doped?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Barrus said:
Aaah, but the question is more was it the drugs that made them good musicians and famous, for example, was it the heroine that made Charlie Parker or Lester Young play them sax so great. In the case of the cycling if you want to get to the top it appears as though you'll need to use doping

Tricky one to confirm, but I believe it made them better musicians.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
andy1234 said:
Tricky one to confirm, but I believe it made them better musicians.

I don't think so, I believe Lester Young especially was better in the early days when he did not overindulge as much as he did later.

But even that, there are more than enough musicians that could create the most beautiful msic without drugs, for example George Shearing

However in cycling it appears as though you are not able to compete without the drugs

Barrus said:
I don't think so, I believe Lester Young especially was better in the early days when he did not overindulge as much as he did later.

But even that, there are more than enough musicians that could create the most beautiful msic without drugs, for example George Shearing

However in cycling it appears as though you are not able to compete without the drugs

Fair enough. I must admit that almost every musician or band I have been into has some history with drugs.
I suppose we will never know if bohemian rhapsody, sympathy for the devil or paradise city would have been as great without the influence of drugs on the artists involved.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:

...possibly a better example would be Sonny Rollins who had a before, during and after relationship with demon drugs...just an opinion, but at all those stages he was still Sonny, as in, pretty darn good...but then Sonny was a pretty special player...and in the clean living camp you can easily point to the sheer genius of Clifford Brown...

Cheers

blutto

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
blutto said:
...possibly a better example would be Sonny Rollins who had a before, during and after relationship with demon drugs...just an opinion, but at all those stages he was still Sonny, as in, pretty darn good...but then Sonny was a pretty special player...

Cheers

blutto

Yeah, it was just the first artist I tought of that I knew had not really had a relation with hard drugs, at least not to my knowledge. I could also have used Pink Floyd, epsecially the wall, darkside of the moon and wish you were here

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i think Ozzie could have won 7 TdFs, didn't his gear all the way up to 11 back then, i mean Shimano and Campag only got there recently:D

veganrob said:
Please. They are in no way similar. Get a clue.
Hell, I was all drugged up at the time but I will not say it was the right thing to do.

I disagree, there are lots if similarities.
The gear of choice for rock stars is not only frowned upon, its against the law.
Not IOC law or WADA law but THE law. It doesnt get much more serious than that. We still allow our loved ones to buy into that myth though..

Pro cycling has never been the poster boy for health and vitality any more than being a rock star has. Its always been about entertainment first and foremost.

It's just unfortunate that some people who dream of becoming pro cyclists don't realise that until its too late.

TRENDING THREADS