• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll: Who eats steak before a BIG race?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alpe d'Huez said:
And most likely leads to an increased long-term risk for cancer, heart disease, stroke, etc.

There is one thing that Atkins did that was at least somewhat beneficial, and that is it got people to understand glycemic index and that avoiding refined sugars, regardless of what else you eat, is a good thing.

Let's not forget that when good old Fatkins died after slipping on ice, his autopsy showed him to be obese. It does not look like his own diet plan was working that well for him.

I think people are making too much of what Contador might or might not eat during the Tour. As the saying goes, "You can burn anything if the fire is hot enough." The riders probably eat a lot of stuff that would surprise weekend warrior fitness freaks.

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I think people are making too much of what Contador might or might not eat during the

i guess your right, look how well it worked for
lady Gaga and her steak hat, dress; and she is still going strong.

thehog said:
98% of the professional peloton is a lower cab diet. Steak & chicken are the meals du jour.

We know from Nicolas Roche's Tour and Vuelta diaries that, at least during a grand tour, the Ag2r riders subsist on a diet of pasta, pasta and more pasta.

You may or may not be correct about out of competition diets, I don't know enough to have an opinion, but a carb based diet is still the norm during a stage race.

thehog said:
You don't know me at all. I was junior state champion in Victoria Australia. I've raced and coached in Europe, UK and the US.

Anonymous claims are easy to make. Prove it.

thehog said:
Low carb came into play around Lance's time and remains strong. I teach all my junior athletes the value of low carb meals for recovery.

Then you are teaching them the exact opposite of what is being done by all elite athletes. Good luck.

Nick777 said:
According to Cycle Sport, Miguel Indurain was eating steak & rice at 3am before one of his hour attempts.

There was a lot of ignorance about nutrition back then. I remember eating steak and eggs for energy before playing AFL football matches when I was younger. Everyone did it. I now realise the only energy I gained from this was from the toast it was all sitting on.

Protein

BANNED
Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If Contador is smart he could seek to exploit this situation for financial gain by doing some steak adverts. Much the same way Donald Trump has moved into the steak business.

donaldtrumpsteaks.jpg

http://www.cherryflava.com/cherryflava/2007/05/sell-the-sizzle-not-the-steak.html

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Team Columbia Menu stage 17 TDF 2008

ESPN 2009 not science but this team could climb without steak... PED's yes

"So I called Team Columbia and asked for its menu from one of the hardest days of the 2008 Tour, which included the insane climbs up Col du Tourmalet and Hautacam".

TEAM COLUMBIA MENU

STAGE 17, TOUR DE FRANCE 2008
Breakfast

• Banana (1)
• Muesli (150 gr)
• Pasta (150 gr -- weight is non-cooked)
• Croissant with chocolate (1)
• Coffee (250 ml)
• Soy milk (300 gr)
• Mixed fruits (200 gr)
• Orange juice (300 ml)

Pre-race

• Pasta (150 gr)
• Water (500 ml)

Race

• PowerBar (4)
• Fruit cake (100 gr)
• PowerBar carbo drink (4000 ml)
• PowerBar energy gels (4)
• Coca-Cola (400 ml)
• Turkey sandwich (2)
• Water (1000 ml)

Post-race

• Recovery drink (500 ml)
• Turkey sandwich (1)
• PowerBar (1)
• Coca-Cola (330 ml)
• Fruit cake (100 gr)
• Water (400 ml)

Dinner

• Mixed vegetables (200 gr)
• Pasta (200 gr)
• Chicken breast (250 gr)
• Sauce (100 gr)
• Plain yogurt (350 gr)
• Mixed fruits (150 gr)
• Water (800 ml)

Pre-sleep

• Gum/sweets (100 gr)
• Chocolate (25 gr)
• Water (500 ml)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=stein/090701

Fieldsprint said:
Technically incorrect, but props to the meat haters out there. They sure are a committed bunch.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4327741/

Yup. This from the article says it all:

"Proving that Dr. Atkins was not done in, in part, by his diet, has become a crusade for Veronica Atkins, to preserve the well over $100 million value of the Atkins name, and the reputation of the man she still calls Bobby. It's a battle she plans to win. So what would she say to someone worried about the Atkins diet?"

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
The night of the rest day big steat meals are common. Its the only night when riders dont have to worry about over eating.

The key here is rest day.

Polyarmour said:
There was a lot of ignorance about nutrition back then. I remember eating steak and eggs for energy before playing AFL football matches when I was younger. Everyone did it. I now realise the only energy I gained from this was from the toast it was all sitting on.

What state?

Must have been back in the 70's at the latest - AFL players haven't done that for years.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Of course you could eat steak...at least 12-14 hours before race time and assuming you had the metabolism to create the appropriate post-coffee response in the morning. It wouldn't be a great idea if you'd been doing 17 stages on a bland diet and expected to fend off Schleck on Stage 18 with part of a steer still in your colon. Otherwise stick with bland so the food digests.

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
3 week tour team menus; got to be listed somwwhere?

just wondering what other teams serve steaks on rest day? or during the tours at all? it would be interesting to see the menus. Maybe he should of got some texas cattle from pharmstrong

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
You don't know me at all. I was junior state champion in Victoria Australia. I've raced and coached in Europe, UK and the US. Low carb came into play around Lance's time and remains strong. I teach all my junior athletes the value of low carb meals for recovery.

This thread is redundant because Contador used the meat "not before" his big race but as a recovery aid on the rest day and after the folkowing stage.

The other problem is that Australian, UK and American poster really don't know what a good steak is. You think it's a massive Porthouse on a plate. Far from it. Go to into Spain and eat real tender meat. You'll know what I mean.

You're an uncultered lot. You really are.

Spoken like a true numbnuts,The US and Australia are about the same size..in landmass. The US has 1000 more types of farms than AU would ever imagine. Can you get good beef in @anytown AU or anytown US? absolutely. You may think you have tasted a cow but we have some pretty good beef in the US. Not factory BS but a cow tipped and killed by a local farmer. I have eaten the highest grade beef in Japan,Argentina, Ireland,Spain as well as the US and Australia and a half dozen other places of note, you have 22 million people not because you don't have hot girls,great beaches or more minerals than you can dig up..you got no farms. Learn about pastry..we are both pies..everybody lives on the outside near the edge. Only difference is the US has usable soil in the middle....and man can we grow a tasty organic cow to grill. I have never ridden a motorcycle or surfboard faster than I have in Australia but food...come on..we have 10,000 more 5 stars rated by the French which think they know more than both of us collectively. We throw out more good food than Australia produces..or are all these people from Perth,Sydney,Melbourne just coming here because our food is **** at 1000 bucks a table? The oies thing will be out in a second..1030 est

fatandfast said:
Spoken like a true numbnuts,The US and Australia are about the same size..in landmass. The US has 1000 more types of farms than AU would ever imagine. Can you get good beef in @anytown AU or anytown US? absolutely. You may think you have tasted a cow but we have some pretty good beef in the US. Not factory BS but a cow tipped and killed by a local farmer. I have eaten the highest grade beef in Japan,Argentina, Ireland,Spain as well as the US and Australia and a half dozen other places of note, you have 22 million people not because you don't have hot girls,great beaches or more minerals than you can dig up..you got no farms. Learn about pastry..we are both pies..everybody lives on the outside near the edge. Only difference is the US has usable soil in the middle....and man can we grow a tasty organic cow to grill. I have never ridden a motorcycle or surfboard faster than I have in Australia but food...come on..we have 10,000 more 5 stars rated by the French which think they know more than both of us collectively. We throw out more good food than Australia produces..or are all these people from Perth,Sydney,Melbourne just coming here because our food is **** at 1000 bucks a table? The oies thing will be out in a second..1030 est

No farms in Australia?
Jeez, what have I been eating?
Maybe you guys should use that good food you waste to feed to all of the fatties I see on Jerry Springer.

Nick777 said:
Are you the cyber police?
I back-traced it.

??You've lost me there?? I just had trouble believing the Victorian State Champion bit. I mean it's a big call isn't it?

Nick777 said:
What state? Must have been back in the 70's at the latest - AFL players haven't done that for years.

1977 Sunshine U17's. I wasn't much of a player really, I think I was eating too much steak before the matches.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
In a quite irrelevant interview with the cooker of Astana of 23th of July, he explains what they use to eat and so forth. http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idtipusrecurs_PK=7&idnoticia_PK=722519

What amazes me is that he says (23th of July):

"Ayer se fue al mercado de Pau y compró solomillos de ternera, patatas para hacer al horno y pasta, casi 500 gramos por persona. Culminó con una macedonia: “Es el menú ideal para reponerse de la batalla del Tourmalet. Han quedado como nuevos”. "

Which would translate as:

"Yesterday he went to the market in Pau and bought fillet of beef, potatos to cook in the owen and pasta, almost 500 grams per person. He finished it with a macedonia (fruit cocktail). It is the perfect menu for recovering from the tourmalet battle. The cyclists are like new again ":)D)

So they do really eat steak. Which answers the question of the thread.

MadonePro

BANNED
Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
khardung la said:
In a quite irrelevant interview with the cooker of Astana of 23th of July, he explains what they use to eat and so forth. http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idtipusrecurs_PK=7&idnoticia_PK=722519

What amazes me is that he says (23th of July):

"Ayer se fue al mercado de Pau y compró solomillos de ternera, patatas para hacer al horno y pasta, casi 500 gramos por persona. Culminó con una macedonia: “Es el menú ideal para reponerse de la batalla del Tourmalet. Han quedado como nuevos”. "

Which would translate as:

"Yesterday he went to the market in Pau and bought fillet of beef, potatos to cook in the owen and pasta, almost 500 grams per person. He finished it with a macedonia (fruit cocktail). It is the perfect menu for recovering from the tourmalet battle. The cyclists are like new again ":)D)

So they do really it steak. Which answers the question of the thread.

Where was steak mentioned? Fillet of Beef doesn't mean steak, it means a fillet of beef.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
MadonePro said:
Where was steak mentioned? Fillet of Beef doesn't mean steak, it means a fillet of beef.

Well, obviously English is not my mother language. In case my translation is not correct the Spanish term used in the interview is "solomillo de ternera", which is, well, a nice piece of meat from a calf. Since beef is meat from a cow I thought my translation was correct, but thanks for correcting me.

An image :)
ternera.jpg

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
MadonePro said:
A filet of beef is a beef tenderloin. from which you cut filet mignon steaks.
The meat which was purchased in Spain however was a tenderloin of veal.
"solomillo de ternera" tanslates to beef tenderloin