• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll: Who eats steak before a BIG race?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 8, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
That's not a steak khardung la. Who cuts steak that thin?!?

ok, that in the photo is solomillo de ternera. Which is precisely what Contador argued that he ate. It is not my problem if in English some journalists translated solomillo de ternera as steak! :D

Anyway what is the point in discussing this?? (I am veggy and have no idea of the meat cuts). I just reported that the cooker bought meat in Pau, the same day as Contador says a friend gave him special meat from Spain. The proof is in that interview with the cooker of 23st July.

IMO there is too much meat involved, they should have had a big BBQ :D . Precisely that day they had meat from Pau and Irun to eat. Which contributes to discuss the topic of the thread.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
happychappy said:
Don't be so hard on thehog, it's clear from the amount he posts here (and the amount of nonsense) that he's never been a competitive cyclist, he wouldn't know much about basic nutrition let alone what it takes to race/train consecutive days.

Lol, and do you know about nutrition?:rolleyes:

Since this is the typical thread from then anglo-saxon world trying to cyber-crucify Contador, common sense won't fly, but I am going to try: Pasta is about 20% protein (google it please) which means if these guys were to eat about 6,000 calories from pasta alone, at 4 cals/gram, they would be eating about 300 grams of protein. Which makes sense, since you need to eat some protein for muscle recovery.

I am not saying Contador did or did not eat the steak, I am just saying that stating that elite cyclists do not eat animal protein is just ignorant and stupid.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
khardung la said:
Anyway what is the point in discussing this?? (I am veggy and have no idea of the meat cuts). I just reported that the cooker bought meat in Pau, the same day as Contador says a friend gave him special meat from Spain. The proof is in that interview with the cooker of 23st July.

Just to be clear the veal from Spain was brought and eaten on the 20th.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Just to be clear the veal from Spain was brought and eaten on the 20th.

You are right, the cooker bought the meat the 21th, the resting day, just in case Contador did not have meat enough :p. Why so much meat anyway? I may consider a nutritional change myself

Mar 16, 2009
khardung la said:
You are right, the cooker bought the meat the 21th, the resting day, just in case Contador did not have meat enough :p. Why so much meat anyway? I may consider a nutritional change myself
I stand corrected the meat from Spain was the 21st.
The beef the cook bought was the 23rd.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
I stand corrected the meat from Spain was the 21st.
The beef the cook bought was the 23rd.

No. The Pau meat was bought the 21st or the 22nd. Don't get confused with the date of the newspaper (23rd). The journalist states "yesterday he went to the market". The newspaper is printed in the night of the 22nd to be in the street the 23rd. That yesterday could be referred just to the 22nd, or if it is a direct quote from the interview to the 21st.

In Spain they use to refer to the day the newspaper is in the street, so the yesterday of the 23rd would very likely be the 22nd.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
indurain666 said:
Lol, and do you know about nutrition?:rolleyes:

Since this is the typical thread from then anglo-saxon world trying to cyber-crucify Contador, common sense won't fly, but I am going to try: Pasta is about 20% protein (google it please) which means if these guys were to eat about 6,000 calories from pasta alone, at 4 cals/gram, they would be eating about 300 grams of protein. Which makes sense, since you need to eat some protein for muscle recovery.

I am not saying Contador did or did not eat the steak, I am just saying that stating that elite cyclists do not eat animal protein is just ignorant and stupid.

Ok, he didn't eat steak ... it was veal**

According to Contador one doesn't usually eat meat on the rest day in order not gain any weight ("the Hog" r u reading this?)

http://www.realpeloton.com/Enclosures/podcast-29.mp3

go to 5:54

**The veal angle might open up some other avenues for Contador since veal being a bovine calf and by virtue of it being penned up and not allowed to walk may have a higher incidence of Clen "positives" than normal adult beef products.

Mar 16, 2009
khardung la said:
No. The Pau meat was bought the 21st or the 22nd. Don't get confused with the date of the newspaper (23rd). The journalist states "yesterday he went to the market". The newspaper is printed in the night of the 22nd to be in the street the 23rd. That yesterday could be referred just to the 22nd, or if it is a direct quote from the interview to the 21st.

In Spain they use to refer to the day the newspaper is in the street, so the yesterday of the 23rd would very likely be the 22nd.

that makes more sense. As the cook stated the beef was for recovery after the tourmalet which was the 22nd

Mar 16, 2009
Elagabalus said:
**The veal angle might open up some other avenues for Contador since veal being a bovine calf and by virtue of it being penned up and not allowed to walk may have a higher incidence of Clen "positives" than normal adult beef products.

Having only 20-24 weeks to bring the calf to market would also be a incentive to add bulk quickly. the tenderloin refers to the psoas major muscle anterior to the transverse processes of the lumbar vertebrae, near the kidneys. This muscle does very little work, so it is the most tender part of the beef.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Of course they eat steak on the rest day

So they are racing for 3 weeks burning insane amounts of calories.

According to a quick google, they eat large amounts of carbos plus a reasonable serve of chicken most race nights.

But not eat red meat for 3 weeks, if it is otherwise a normal part of your diet? That is crazy. They eat chocolate sometimes from their musette, they have champagne if they win a stage, of course they'll eat red meat at some point. And the rest day / prior to the rest day would be the best time.

Polyarmour said:
??You've lost me there?? I just had trouble believing the Victorian State Champion bit. I mean it's a big call isn't it?

1977 Sunshine U17's. I wasn't much of a player really, I think I was eating too much steak before the matches.

Playing in that league, I am surprised you had teeth left to gnaw on the steak.
Pretty savage, I hear.

dr_wok said:
So they are racing for 3 weeks burning insane amounts of calories.

According to a quick google, they eat large amounts of carbos plus a reasonable serve of chicken most race nights.

But not eat red meat for 3 weeks, if it is otherwise a normal part of your diet? That is crazy. They eat chocolate sometimes from their musette, they have champagne if they win a stage, of course they'll eat red meat at some point. And the rest day / prior to the rest day would be the best time.
Three days in a row. Day before rest day, rest day and the day of the Tourmalet according to his Chef. Now, is that normal for a Yellow jersey in the Tour?