• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Popovic: how I was chased by the fbi and your own stories

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
The LAPD was enough for me on a trip to the States.

Word to the wise: don't put your wallet under the driver's seat. And, if you happen to get pulled over for speeding on the way to the velodrome, make sure you're clear about what you're reaching for under the seat.

The gun-in-the-face screaming routine ("hands on the wheel, muthafuka!") can be daunting... if not pant-ruining...

Hee Hee.

My buddy and I went to the 1996 Summer Olympics to help cheer on Bauer, Barry and Eric Wohlberg. We had on cheesy Canadian shirts and were yelling at the riders as they road past. A Militia security guard (this was only days after the bombing remember) came by us and said "keep it down there, where are you guys from anyways Europe?" We looked down at our shirts and said "no Canada!" He then said, "see this gun, this isn't half the gun I took into Canada a couple of years ago, weez went 'unting". So I asked him where he went hunting..."Well, I was 20-30 miles deep in the heart of Canada and ya know what I found...nutt'n. Nutt'n but nutt'n"

I thought he was dangerous and he didn't even have a gun in my face like your story. Canada's not that bad, really. Maybe its just how we looked, who knows.

NW

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Neworld said:
Hee Hee.

My buddy and I went to the 1996 Summer Olympics to help cheer on Bauer, Barry and Eric Wohlberg. We had on cheesy Canadian shirts and were yelling at the riders as they road past. A Militia security guard (this was only days after the bombing remember) came by us and said "keep it down there, where are you guys from anyways Europe?" We looked down at our shirts and said "no Canada!" He then said, "see this gun, this isn't half the gun I took into Canada a couple of years ago, weez went 'unting". So I asked him where he went hunting..."Well, I was 20-30 miles deep in the heart of Canada and ya know what I found...nutt'n. Nutt'n but nutt'n"

I thought he was dangerous and he didn't even have a gun in my face like your story. Canada's not that bad, really. Maybe its just how we looked, who knows.

NW

Yeah, you canadians must have really scared that georgia boy... chances are that rifle or pistol he was carrying really was smaller than what he carries in the window of his pickup truck.

The linked story makes it pretty clear, at least in the translated version, that Popo got his speed up to 220 kph before anyone was chasing him. It sounds like he was just joy-riding, then at a certain point was tailed. Maybe he suspected he was being tailed so went faster, but the story is very clear that he did not up his speed because he saw he was being tailed.

Even in a car, if you're going 220 kph, I'd say you're on something.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
The linked story makes it pretty clear, at least in the translated version, that Popo got his speed up to 220 kph before anyone was chasing him. It sounds like he was just joy-riding, then at a certain point was tailed. Maybe he suspected he was being tailed so went faster, but the story is very clear that he did not up his speed because he saw he was being tailed.

Even in a car, if you're going 220 kph, I'd say you're on something.

I'd say you are on to...the tail of a justifiably paranoid Russian who has been chased before.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
GreasyMonkey said:
Sounds like the usual Carabineri "overkill" - had a bunch of 8 of them stop me when riding up the main road into Bormio a few years ago - four of them with what looked suspiciously like Uzi or similar light machine-gun/machine-pistols...... As if I was going to try a "Popo" on a bicycle up the Gavia or Stelvio:)

well they are actually a branch of the armed forces not just cops. So they have the military mentality.And weapons of course.
Back in the 70's my first experience with Eastern Europe was at a train stop on the Austrian/Czech border. I obviously looked American and two military police decided i was up to no good. I go to the bathroom and they follow me in.
Have you ever tried to go at the urinal with two soldiers with machine guns strapped to their chests watching your every move?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
runninboy said:
well they are actually a branch of the armed forces not just cops. So they have the military mentality.And weapons of course.
Back in the 70's my first experience with Eastern Europe was at a train stop on the Austrian/Czech border. I obviously looked American and two military police decided i was up to no good. I go to the bathroom and they follow me in.
Have you ever tried to go at the urinal with two soldiers with machine guns strapped to their chests watching your every move?

Stage fright, eh?

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Early 90s, checkpoints in Northern Ireland where two soldiers invite you to show them the contenst of your boot and you know damn well there are a couple of guys in the towers 20m away with their weapons trained on you and a round in the chamber!
Nice and steady .....

runninboy said:

That's a Max Mosely wet dream.

Ah, this brings back memories of the good ol' state-sponsored terrorism of quite a few Latin American countries I've been to.

I've never been intimidated the times I've been hassled by corrupt cops or military personnel. I just play it off and once they see you're not cowering in fear they have a tendency to get bored with the game very quickly.

Just either pay the bribe and keep it moving or pretend like you don't understand what they're saying to you. Or let them finish with their job of searching your belongings.

By the way, the nicest cops I've run into?-Costa Rica. The most professional in attitude and demeanor?-Colombia. The worst attitudes and most blatantly corrupt?-Jamaica and the Dominican Republic.

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I lived in Germany for four years and can say first hand that if you think the police in europe don't or can't do what they feel like doing you're in for a rude awakening. Here in the states it just about always takes either consent of the searched or a court order. Not that way at least in application from my experience there. If the caras decided that Popo had something then they found whatever it was they were looking for. He will either sing nicely or he's going to be Italian's boyfriend for a very long time.

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Hah, all this guntalk reminds me of a train trip from hungary to the czech repuplic. After riding a while in comes this cute eastern european gal to check our tickets, and just as you are about to smile to her and get your tickets, you notice this guy behind her. He could easily have been a mafia hencman in your average holywood movie, armed with a tazer and a 9mm! And then you wonder what kind of people that normally uses the train you are on, that require the ticket controllers to be flanked by people that are better armed than the danish police :O

The trip was even better when we later crossed the border, and two guys in army uniform with freaking ak47's came to check our passports.

If Popo grew up with that, it's no wonder he is shaky if he forgot to pay for at ticket :D

runninboy said:

Try getting pulled over by the Federales a couple hundred miles down into Mexico. Takes the pucker factor up about 2000%.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Seeing as this topic has moved to just people recounting their stories with cops I'll move it to the cafe.

Anyway just so I add something to the thread, once on a train going into Germany from Switzerland I just went to the toilet, some time after we passed the journal. Just as I was taking a leak someone knocked very hard on the foor and shouted something like: Ausweis bitte!. I walk out and there stand 5 very annoyed looking German Polizei looking at me as though I was some sort of illegal alien.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Kodiak said:
I lived in Germany for four years and can say first hand that if you think the police in europe don't or can't do what they feel like doing you're in for a rude awakening. Here in the states it just about always takes either consent of the searched or a court order. Not that way at least in application from my experience there. If the caras decided that Popo had something then they found whatever it was they were looking for. He will either sing nicely or he's going to be Italian's boyfriend for a very long time.

Oh, I don't know. Ever been pulled over in an inner city like Baltimore? Some friends and I went to a jazz pub in a "deep in the heart of Baltimore" neighborhood and when we left we were pulled over by undercover officers who pulled us from the car and shoved pistols in our faces telling us to shut the fuk up. They then proceeded to search the car believing and saying "I know there is something here". We let them do their thing, they checked our id, were ****ed that they did not find anything, and were on their way before we could blink. That was years ago and I still remember it as if it was yesterday.

I must say though that I have been to Mexico and Europe and the carrying of machine gun style weapons was much more common outside of the states.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Try getting pulled over by the Federales a couple hundred miles down into Mexico. Takes the pucker factor up about 2000%.

No sh*t! We were taking stuff to an orphanage and pass thru a roadblock flanked by sandbag bunkers. The bunkers were filled with soldiers, 50 cal. tank buster machine guns and the soldiers looked like the meanest 16 yr. olds you ever saw. Once we cleared them we saw the constant presence of the Agribusiness Thugs that patrolled the corporate farms for union organizers in their black GMC Suburbans. All of this within 200 miles of the US border and 6 years ago. My friend says it is so much worse now with the rampant drug wars. Sad that such great people are forced to live in that environment.

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
JPM London said:
It's called a car chase and can happen in any country.

However judging by the speed I'd say he was on his bike and inhaled all the ampules in one go in an effort to get those extra 5-15%...

Nah, must have been driving Fred Flintstones car. yabadabadoo.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:

actually no thank you. I made a commitment a long time ago when a close friend(best friends finacee) died a horrific death at the hands of the federales.
I will never set foot in Mexico.

TRENDING THREADS