• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Popovych denies

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Team BMC Racing suspended its riders Alessandro Ballan and Mauro Santambrogio last year for when they were linked to a doping investigation. Once the confusion was cleared, BMC allowed them to race. Ballan, however, missed a chance to compete in his spring targets, the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix.

RadioShack is making no such move. General Manager Bill Stapleton said the allegations are not true and Team Manager Johann Bruyneel refused to talk about Popovych.

Sports Illustrated said that the Italians found drugs Popovych's house...

Bill Stapleton: "He denied that this morning."
Should your team suspend him?
BS: "But, it's not true."
How do we know?
BS: "He's already denied it this morning [January 20]."
BMC suspended Ballan last year, for example...
BS: "But it's not true, so we won't suspend him."
Is the team or Livestrong foundation taking a beating from the bad press?
BS: "I think the foundation is doing absolutely fabulous."
Will Armstrong be eventually charged?
BS: "I will not comment on that."
There is confusion going on with what Sports Illustrated printed...
Johan Bruyneel: "I don't have no comments to make. I will talk about the race, but about nothing else."
Can you clarify...
JB: No. I have no comment."
Supposedly, there were drugs found at Popovych's house...
JB: "I have no comment to make. I think the comments have been made. No comment."
Would you suspend a rider if drugs were found in his house? Or, is it premature?
JB: "OK, for the last time..."

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...-to-suspend-popovych-despite-drug-claims.html

May 26, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Team BMC Racing suspended its riders Alessandro Ballan and Mauro Santambrogio last year for when they were linked to a doping investigation. Once the confusion was cleared, BMC allowed them to race. Ballan, however, missed a chance to compete in his spring targets, the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix.

RadioShack is making no such move. General Manager Bill Stapleton said the allegations are not true and Team Manager Johann Bruyneel refused to talk about Popovych.

Sports Illustrated said that the Italians found drugs Popovych's house...

Bill Stapleton: "He denied that this morning."
Should your team suspend him?
BS: "But, it's not true."
How do we know?
BS: "He's already denied it this morning [January 20]."
BMC suspended Ballan last year, for example...
BS: "But it's not true, so we won't suspend him."
Is the team or Livestrong foundation taking a beating from the bad press?
BS: "I think the foundation is doing absolutely fabulous."
Will Armstrong be eventually charged?
BS: "I will not comment on that."
There is confusion going on with what Sports Illustrated printed...
Johan Bruyneel: "I don't have no comments to make. I will talk about the race, but about nothing else."
Can you clarify...
JB: No. I have no comment."
Supposedly, there were drugs found at Popovych's house...
JB: "I have no comment to make. I think the comments have been made. No comment."
Would you suspend a rider if drugs were found in his house? Or, is it premature?
JB: "OK, for the last time..."

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...-to-suspend-popovych-despite-drug-claims.html

a normal team in a normal situation would have had some thing to back up the "it's not true" with a "we contacted CONI, or the Italian Police and they deny the that any drugs were found in Popo's apartment"

so looks bad from here.

Benotti69 said:
a normal team in a normal situation would have had some thing to back up the "it's not true" with a "we contacted CONI, or the Italian Police and they deny the that any drugs were found in Popo's apartment"

so looks bad from here.

"But Mr. Bruyneel - drugs were found..."
JB: "Look as I've said before.... you might as well win"

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
is popovych any use to the americans, aren't they only interested in the us postal years, defrauding the governement or misusing money or whatever, but popo only arrived when it was discovery channel didn't he? What do the americans plan to do with him if anything? Does it help them if they find out armstrong was doping from 2005(when he wasnt retired :S)............ ah is it about trafficing of drugs? I forget what the investigation is about now

i am 100% sure popovych is a doper though.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I think this quote by Bruyneel is pretty funny from CN piece today (not sure when the quote was made). Don't worry boss, they didn't find the "product"! No worries indeed.

Bruyneel also denied accusations in Sports Illustrated regarding the search of Yaroslav Popovych's home in Tuscany last November.

"I don't know who requested this search. I immediately called Popovych, who assured me that the police hadn't seized any product, nothing suspicious, and he told me not to worry. I believe him and for the moment, I don't know anything more. "

cathulu said:
I think this quote by Bruyneel is pretty funny from CN piece today (not sure when the quote was made). Don't worry boss, they didn't find the "product"! No worries indeed.

Bruyneel also denied accusations in Sports Illustrated regarding the search of Yaroslav Popovych's home in Tuscany last November.

"I don't know who requested this search. I immediately called Popovych, who assured me that the police hadn't seized any product, nothing suspicious, and he told me not to worry. I believe him and for the moment, I don't know anything more. "

That one stopped me at exactly the same place too. 'Product'....ha, JB. That just rolled off the old tongue didn't it;)

cathulu said:

Good catch.

Have to say, though, I fundamentally don't understand the interest/surprise with this thread.

There is no way that Popo in his right mind (which opens other possibilities...) would confirm the SI story. This could and would be used in a court of law.

He needs to keep with the 'Not Guilty' plea until convicted. He has no choice.

Dave.

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
JB's statement re Popovych

mewmewmew13 said:
That one stopped me at exactly the same place too. 'Product'....ha, JB. That just rolled off the old tongue didn't it;)

Nice catch on his word choice! Priceless.

His response is also preposterous - "I don't know who requested this search. I immediately called Popovych, who assured me that the police hadn't seized any product, nothing suspicious, and he told me not to worry. I believe him and for the moment, I don't know anything more. "

He's trying to secure sponsorship from Radioshack for 2012, the Feds just dragged one of his riders in front of the grand jury, and this is his best statement? This is the due diligence he's boasting about?

Do these guys get any media training?

He clearly must want to remain ignorant of the facts there.

Why not a stronger categorical denial? LA and JB are already committed to their lie.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
that presumes they are jock type athletes who live in their sport and dont look outside of it except for the hookers and blow:rolleyes:.

hard to believe they are like that especailly after so many riders have been done.

David millar must have served as a big warning not to keep stuff at home, but keep it in the mother in laws in a fridge in the attic or garage.

Popo lives in Italy and must ride a lot with other Italian pros. he cant be that dense. I mena the Italians have been cracking down lately so why be that stupid, cause he's with Lance:D

Of course they keep it at home! Where do you expect them to keep recovery drugs that they might use several times a weak for long periods of time? Especially EPO that is likely to be used in the evening.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
Well I'm sure Novitsky is paying attention for when it comes to deciphering all those phone intercepts.