• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Popovych testifies

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
it is my understanding that he adimitted in the SCA Insurance bonus case to being an owner and what was written down had no effect on the serious decisions as Armstrongs seal of approval had to be on everything.

LA statements to the press mean zilch.

No, no, no, you don't understand!:D

Race Radio said:
This seems to be your new favorite topic, that I invent things. I have ask you many times for an example but you continue to avoid doing so.

Instead of the sniping how about you man up and tell us what specifically I have written you think is invented?

please don't use the term "man up"... that is so last week.

MadonePro said:
Johan has already stated he will meet when asked.

Oh and to all in here, let's remember what the case is all about! The question being answered 'was public money, used to fund the USPS team's doping program'. If the answer is yes, the owners of that team, will be charged with fraud, amongst other things. There will be no rider, or DS charges, as they were employees!
The investigation won't even state who doped, only if it is found there was doping going on, it will simply answer that question.

To all the Lance Haters, get a life, it's so sad that you have to spend time online, getting worked up about all this. Get a bike, and go ride it...

Why hire Fabiani then?

If it's nothing to do with Lance, why does he care.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
MadonePro said:
Incorrect, Lance was a paid employee, the team was co-owned by Tailwind Sports Corp. of San Francisco and Capital Sports & Entertainment of Austin, TX.

Further Info

Are you calling Lance a liar?

From his sworn testimony at the SCA case:
Q. Do you have any ownership interest in Tailwind Sports?
A. A small one.
Q. When you say a small one, can you give me an approximate percentage as to what that would be, if you know?
A. Perhaps ten percent.

If you think this investigation is about fraud of US Postal money by either CSE or Tailwind, then why is the investigation based in Los Angeles?

You also mentioned that the Feds do not have 'jurisdiction' - what part of the Food & Drug Administration do you not understand?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Guess what Popo said today?

I will give you a hint

sgt_20schultz_small.jpg

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Are you calling Lance a liar?

From his sworn testimony at the SCA case:

If you think this investigation is about fraud of US Postal money by either CSE or Tailwind, then why is the investigation based in Los Angeles?

You also mentioned that the Feds do not have 'jurisdiction' - what part of the Food & Drug Administration do you not understand?

To be fair... you should post the rest of what he said:

Q. Can you tell us what your relationship, first, your business relationship with Tailwind Sports, is?
A. I'm an athlete on the team.
A. A small one.
Q. When you say a small one, can you give me an approximate percentage as to what that would be, if you know?
A. Perhaps 10 percent.
Q. Do you know when you acquired that ownership interest?
A. No. I don't remember.
Q. Would it have been in 2005, or before that?
A. I don't remember.
Q. Do you have any -- is there -- do you have any recollection as to when it would have been? '02? '03? '04?
A. Before today.
Q. OK. Would it have been before 2001?
A. Probably not, but I'm not a hundred percent sure.
Q. Who would know the answer to that question as to when you acquired an ownership interest in Tailwind?
A. Bill Stapleton.
Q. Is there documentation? Like do you have papers or an ownership certificate of some sort that reflects your ownership interest in Tailwind?
A. I'm sure there is.

In theory, that opens the door that he aquired his small ownership stake after the team was no longer sponsored by the post office, in which case his statement later that he had no dealings with the post office and was not an owner could be true... at that point in time.

Of course it's very intentionally vague testimony... but it's better to take it as a whole.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
To be fair... you should post the rest of what he said:

Q. Can you tell us what your relationship, first, your business relationship with Tailwind Sports, is?
A. I'm an athlete on the team.
A. A small one.
A. Perhaps 10 percent.
Q. Do you know when you acquired that ownership interest?
A. No. I don't remember.
Q. Would it have been in 2005, or before that?
A. I don't remember.
Q. Do you have any -- is there -- do you have any recollection as to when it would have been? '02? '03? '04?
A. Before today.
Q. OK. Would it have been before 2001?
A. Probably not, but I'm not a hundred percent sure.
Q. Who would know the answer to that question as to when you acquired an ownership interest in Tailwind?
A. Bill Stapleton.
Q. Is there documentation? Like do you have papers or an ownership certificate of some sort that reflects your ownership interest in Tailwind?
A. I'm sure there is.

In theory, that opens the door that he aquired his small ownership stake after the team was no longer sponsored by the post office, in which case his statement later that he had no dealings with the post office and was not an owner could be true... at that point in time.

Of course it's very intentionally vague testimony... but it's better to take it as a whole.

The team was sponsored by the 'post office' up until end of 2004 - this testimony was taken in late 2005, are you suggesting he could not remember signing a new deal from just months before and as he was about to retire?

"Small ownership" is still ownership - in fact some could say 10% is significant.

The reason I did not quote the rest is because its irrelevant - but as you added more to the quote I might as well add then next 2 sentences - as they are revelvant.

.....A. I'm sure there is.
Q. Are you still -- do you still have a contract with Tailwind?
A. Yeah

Thanks Dr. M for posting the testimony.

He absolutely acknowledged that he was both an owner and with contract.

While we are on clarifications, perhaps MadonePro can offer one:

MadonePro said:
You can invite anyone to provide evidence, but you cannot punish outside of your jurisdiction.
But this is aimed at the organisation, not individuals. And it is aimed at a nationally owned company, hence the charge of fraud that the Feds have jurisdiction to investigate.

What charge? Since when were charges laid?

Been a lot of suggestions that people are getting ahead of themselves...

Dave.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
The team was sponsored by the 'post office' up until end of 2004 - this testimony was taken in late 2005, are you suggesting he could not remember signing a new deal from just months before and as he was about to retire?

"Small ownership" is still ownership - in fact some could say 10% is significant.

The reason I did not quote the rest is because its irrelevant - but as you added more to the quote I might as well add then next 2 sentences - as they are revelvant.

.....A. I'm sure there is.
Q. Are you still -- do you still have a contract with Tailwind?
A. Yeah

"Oh there you go again with those pesky facts." Sarah Palin, American tea-bagger presidentiAL candidate 2012.

Race Radio said:
Nope, since then it has become clear that there are two investigations. One focused on the Whistle blowing charges and the other on a varity of doping, money, and racketeering related

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/04/sports/cycling/04cycling.html

Notice that Novitzky is gathering separate information. This case is far beyond just defrauding the USPS

Ive lost track, how was USPS defrauded by sponsoring cycling?

Hugh

Race Radio said:
reading is not your specialty eh Bra?

I dont generally read the Clinic when the racing is on, but now its quiet, im taking an interest.

Earlier in the year it was stated Lance was going to get booted from TDF, but this never happened, seems like a lot of things get made up on this forum.

You said yesterday that lance is no longer denying he is doping and now has changed his denials to that he has never pressured anyone to dope.

Just trying to get the facts.

Thanks

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Sponsors write language into the team contracts that no doping will be engaged in. If you agree to that and then dope, you've defrauded. If your sponsor just so happens to be a federalyl-funded govt'. entity, its a bit worse than if your sponsor is Jelly Belly or Jittery Joe's.

Good thing you don't read the The Clinic during the season. ("Gentleman, there will be no fighting in the war room!" :) )

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I also can't see any damage that the USPS suffered. They sponsored a team, got the promotional/marketing advantage of that, and no one will ever do less business with the post office because it turns out some of their cyclists were doping. They got what they paid for. Where is the fraud again?

stephens said:
I also can't see any damage that the USPS suffered. They sponsored a team, got the promotional/marketing advantage of that, and no one will ever do less business with the post office because it turns out some of their cyclists were doping. They got what they paid for. Where is the fraud again?

+1

Was anyone from USPS team actually caught doping while riding for the USPS, if so, have they been charged with fraud?

Hugh

steelciocc said:
Good to see you over here Dave, welcome.

Thanks. Feel a bit overwhelmed though with the new tags. A bit like Sesame Street, some of these things sound the same... some are not like the others.

NashbarShorts said:
Sponsors write language into the team contracts that no doping will be engaged in. ...

And, if you are Lance, you can your guys to get their guys (SCA Promotions) to remove the anti-doping language from their Hole-in-One contract.

Now, doing something like that is interesting all by itself. I mean I am sure nobody would ever possibly believe that anyone would dope in the peloton.

Pressuring for that kind of change when you could ... just saying could ... be planning to manipulate race results by whatever means available, could... just saying could here ... make for a very entertaining scenario.

I always liked heist movies.

Oops. Gotta run... like I stole something.

Dave.

hughmoore said:
+1

Was anyone from USPS team actually caught doping while riding for the USPS, if so, have they been charged with fraud?

Hugh

Did Landis not allege that USPS were getting tipped off about dope test visits from within the UCI?
Isn't the investigation looking into the payments made to the UCI by Armstrong, while riding for USPS?
Were a financial link established, wouldn't that constitute fraud?
Isn't this what the investigation is supposed to be investigating, ffs?

How he was served struck me as a little peculiar," Miller said. "It was effected on a guy at a charity ride who was going to leave Texas for a vacation with his girlfriend, a guy from Ukraine who doesn't speak great English and didn't really understand what was going on."

Miller said Popovych told him somebody walked up to him as he was leaving an autograph-signing event at a bicycle shop in Austin and followed him to his hotel. Miller also said that Popovych was told Wednesday that he is not a target of the investigation

Popovych had planned to stay in the U.S. only for four days but "they forced him to be here," Miller said, referring to those who served the subpoena.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-cycling-grand-jury-20101104,0,7658559.story

Mellow Velo said:
Did Landis not allege that USPS were getting tipped off about dope test visits from within the UCI?
Isn't the investigation looking into the payments made to the UCI by Armstrong, while riding for USPS?
Were a financial link established, wouldn't that constitute fraud?
Isn't this what the investigation is supposed to be investigating, ffs?

I thought Landis wrote a book saying he never doped?

Hugh