• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Popovych testifies

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
My interesting thing for me is that they knew he was in the country.

I bet it was a surprise to be served papers.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...povych-summonsed-in-doping-investigation.html

Means the Hog will never come to the US again.
i don't know if that's the forgone conclusion. i tried to understand how novi could compel a foreign citizen to testify. it looks like popo had a choice to flat out refuse the subpoena. he chose to cooperate...but i'm no legal expert and still wonder.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Should not be a surprise that they knew he was coming. Armstrong does not have friends, he has employees. Novitzky has plenty of Armstrong insiders feeding him info......where do you think I get mine?

Creative writing class?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Creative writing class?

This seems to be your new favorite topic, that I invent things. I have ask you many times for an example but you continue to avoid doing so.

Instead of the sniping how about you man up and tell us what specifically I have written you think is invented?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
After being served with the summons, Popovych decided to remain in the US and began working with the San Clemente attorney Ken Miller.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6...ce-Armstrong-investigation.aspx#ixzz14DukNc3C

I don't think he knew it was coming.
i saw that. but i repeat, he could refuse and and take a plane back home to italy completely ignoring the subpoena. he does not hold american passport and it would take something i don't understand to compel him. repeat: he must have agreed to something.

python said:
i saw that. but i repeat, he could refuse and and take a plane back home to italy completely ignoring the subpoena. he does not hold american passport and it would take something i don't understand to compel him. repeat: he must have agreed to something.

But why would he rock up to the Livestrong ride and hang with dude Lance to then spill the beans? Doesn't add up.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
python said:

unless he knows the score with other former LA team mates George, Tyler etc and is going to make the same case, by repeating their testimonies. He is probably doing it so he can travel freely to the usa in future without this hanging over him.

or he agreed to something.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Should not be a surprise that they knew he was coming. Armstrong does not have friends, he has employees. Novitzky has plenty of Armstrong insiders feeding him info......where do you think I get mine?
you really don't believe most of the BS written by people. Armstrong has friends in the 100's in every part of cycling and bike racing.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
python said:

I am not from the US but would be surprised if a foreign national who is present in the US could not be subpoenaed to appear before a grand jury. Happens in other countries.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
you really don't believe most of the BS written by people. Armstrong has friends in the 100's in every part of cycling and bike racing.

You would be surprised by the number of those so called "friends" who are willing, in fact eager, to toss him under the bus.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
unless he knows the score with other former LA team mates George, Tyler etc and is going to make the same case, by repeating their testimonies. He is probably doing it so he can travel freely to the usa in future without this hanging over him.

or he agreed to something.
the only way i can rationalize this, if the knew in advance that he could be drawn into the investigation and was prepared to some extent to face a call.

his choice: (i) play a hardball and ignore all calls thus dragging the cloud over his head. bad choice as he's preparing to race all over europe (ii) agree to testify and try to play the don't recall, didn't see card.

if he's the target, than it probably is the result of interpol being already involved and he possibly had to take the stand to save own arse

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Means the Hog will never come to the US again.

That would be good. Wonder where training camp will be in February? Looks like Julian will not be attending if it is in Solvang.

The Hog has been called, and talked with, the Belgium Fed. This case is not limited to the US.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
python said:
the only way i can rationalize this, if the knew in advance that he could be drawn into the investigation and was prepared to some extent to face a call.

his choice: (i) play a hardball and ignore all calls thus dragging the cloud over his head. bad choice as he's preparing to race all over europe (ii) agree to testify and try to play the don't recall, didn't see card.

if he's the target, than it probably is the result of interpol being already involved and he possibly had to take the stand to save own arse

i imagine if any of the feds read the clinic they have a quite giggle to themselves about how little we really know and how much info they have gleaned, whether it can be used if and when there is a trial we will never know unless the info is available in years to come....

I imagine that Torri in Italy is playing ball and would love to get something to hang Ferarri with :)

Popo's attendance at the Livestrong challenge was something that was publicized for months. You didn't need to be a Federal Special Investigator to know he'd be in the US.

I would think that if he didn't want to testify, he would have stayed in Italy rather than coming to do a charity ride in the US.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
But why would he rock up to the Livestrong ride and hang with dude Lance to then spill the beans? Doesn't add up.

You're right, it doesn't, and that's why no beans will be spilt by Popovych. He would've spent the time in Texas getting his story straight with Texarse. The hubris of the 'united front' may just turn out to work (god, I hope I'm wrong and RR is right...RR please tell me what you know, I always look for your posts: they're cryptic!)

As the investigation has gone intercontinental, Popovych may have weighed the options of avoiding the GJ with possible further consequences back home and found the former the lesser of two onerous tasks. Of course, what he says in Cali might come back to haunt him in Europe. We'll see.

Things have been sort of quiet lately with the GJ - it seems the leaks have tightened up a little. Who's sweating the most these days, Novitzsky or Armstrong?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
This seems to be your new favorite topic, that I invent things. I have ask you many times for an example but you continue to avoid doing so.

Instead of the sniping how about you man up and tell us what specifically I have written you think is invented?
Creative writing involves embellishment and surprising twists! It doesn't have to all be fiction!!

What will probably happen is this so-called 'friend', Popo, will walk into the GJ room and paint an entirely different picture of his 'boss', than what has previously been painted by those compatriots compelled to tell the truth.

If of course, you elect to let us minions who are not in the know, know what happened. You are surely to surprise and delight us with claims of witness tampering by Armstrong. Which will in fact be, in some cases around here, witless tampering.

joe1265 said:
Popo's attendance at the Livestrong challenge was something that was publicized for months.

Come on, you're ruining the intrigue of the clock and dagger sh$t. That little fact of yours was definitely uncalled for.

Originally Posted by Race Radio