• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Porte riding the Giro good move for his future ?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
While I don't think its a bad move, though I doubt he'll get much opportunity to ride for himself. He'll be working slavishly for Bertie I warrant.

And that's why he was brought in for the Giro roster... Or did you think he'd ride for himself in the Giro?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Isn't that true of 90% of the riders who turn out at the Tour, though?
A lot of top quality riders carry bottles, or playing choo-choos for 3 weeks.

Yeah, just look at Andy. Carrying bottles for his team mates and doing a great job in helping Contador win. He did a good job setting the pace on the Tourmalet and Contador was nice enough to let his team mate win the stage.

I think they let Porte compete to gain more experience. Also because he just did Tour of Romandie. He may not have known it but his schedule was practically suited for Giro. Also i thought Noval would have been in this team. Now AC is short of one mountain domestique. He will have to launch attacks from earlier or race smarter.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Contador and Riis must be pretty confident of the CAS appeal failing. I really can't see any other logic to the decision other than not needing Porte as much at the Tour. The two riders swaped out just don't make sense.

FWIW regarding Porte's recent form. Apparantly he's been on anti-biotics most of the last month. Some sort of illness.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
M Sport said:
Contador and Riis must be pretty confident of the CAS appeal failing. I really can't see any other logic to the decision other than not needing Porte as much at the Tour. The two riders swaped out just don't make sense.

FWIW regarding Porte's recent form. Apparantly he's been on anti-biotics most of the last month. Some sort of illness.

Yea he has been very sick. But I don't understand how he can't ride in the mountains but can still ride a kick-*** TT whilst he's sick. In both CL and Romandie he has been second to Conta and DZ by the narrowist of margins. Are Saxo riding California cause I reckon that race would have suited him down to the ground?

The strangest thing is that He replaced Gustav Larsson in the team. At this stage of Richie's career, Larsson offers virutually the same thing as Porte does, and has more experience. They are barely strengthening the team at all merely changing it.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Larsen better choice

For support Alberto would be better off with Gustav Larsson.

While the Giro is great experience for Porte, I don't think he will get the opportunity to race for himself. Any time he isn't directly working for Alberto/team, he will (IMO) be expected to conserve his energies towards helping Alberto at some later time.

The two exceptions might be:
.early on if Alberto is not in "maglia rosa"
. the other is the final TT (assuming he has not left or burnt out from the climbs).

In terms of serving AC, Gustav just as good, plus Gustav would possibly deliver better TT results for team.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Gustav Larsson better choice

For support Alberto would be better off with Gustav Larsson.

While the Giro is great experience for Porte, I don't think he will get the opportunity to race for himself. Any time he isn't directly working for Alberto/team, he will (IMO) be expected to conserve his energies towards helping Alberto at some later time.

The two exceptions might be:
.early on if Alberto is not in "maglia rosa"
.the other is the final TT (assuming he has not left or burnt out from the climbs).

In terms of serving AC, Gustav just as good, plus Gustav would possibly deliver better TT results for team.

Hopefully Porte does not have to redline. I recon that would negate any long term positive to be gained from his participation in Giro this year. However I believe this is a forlorn hope as the parcours is so testing.

richie will be fine.for me he is a future grand tour winner,maybe not the biggest talent in the peloton but a motivated,working a lot type of rider.plus he has the best entourage you can wish in pro cycling.
too bad that alberto will have such a good team in giro.i don't want a team that can control the race.

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
Where is Noval?

I would have thought Portes inclusion indicated that SaxoBank were 'banking' on the Giro in anticipation of Contadors upcoming ban and non - participation in the Tour, therefore trying to put together what they believe is the strongest team to win. However Noval > Porte for climbing, companionship with Contador etc. etc. etc.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
search said:
who's gonna be left for the Tour if Contador isn't able/allowed to ride? Chris Anker Soerensen as Saxos guy for GC?! :confused:

I doubt Porte will finish the Giro this year, bad move in my humble opinion

The probably wont ride for the GC in that case. They will go for stages and possible Chris Anker will go after the mountain jersey.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
greenedge said:
I think they let Porte compete to gain more experience. Also because he just did Tour of Romandie. He may not have known it but his schedule was practically suited for Giro. Also i thought Noval would have been in this team. Now AC is short of one mountain domestique. He will have to launch attacks from earlier or race smarter.

Aye, Mørkøv replaced Noval, cos Noval has been sick. Mørkøv's force will be on the flat stages and the TTT

Sydney21 said:
The strangest thing is that He replaced Gustav Larsson in the team. At this stage of Richie's career, Larsson offers virutually the same thing as Porte does, and has more experience. They are barely strengthening the team at all merely changing it.

The reason might very well be that Larsson was in the need of a break after doing the cobbled classics. Esp considering that its likely that both Porte and Larsson will do the Tour, Larsson needs the break now more than Porte.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Sydney21 said:

The reason might very well be that Larsson was in the need of a break after doing the cobbled classics. Esp considering that its likely that both Porte and Larsson will do the Tour, Larsson needs the break now more than Porte.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Delicato said:
No, Contador has enough mountain domestiques. Noval is really not the great force in mountains, don't exaggerate his abilities.

I dont disagree with your assessment of Noval, but fact is that he was supposed to ride the Giro, but was replaced by Mørkøv due to illness.

M Sport said:

Yes, I don't think it has anything to do with Porte originally aiming for a high overall in the TDF. I think it's more to do with the Contador situation. Porte was never going to seriously challenge for the overall in the TDF this year.

movingtarget said:
Yes, I don't think it has anything to do with Porte originally aiming for a high overall in the TDF. I think it's more to do with the Contador situation. Porte was never going to seriously challenge for the overall in the TDF this year.

verily, he commented on it a while ago himself:

"As already mentioned, I won’t be doing the Giro this year. The decision was taken at the end of last season, and the plan instead to do Romandie and California, as part of a build up for the Tour. I’m not going to that France to ride GC, but I do plan to go and get some experience.

I guess if anything, I do have to take a backward step…to go to the Giro in your first year as a pro and ride general classification is not really what happens, normally. I am a little inexperienced, so I will step back and go from there.

The other thing is that if the team had made me leader of the Giro squad instead, there would be quite a bit of pressure. It is hard to go to races in your second year with that expectation. You are a marked man, in a lot of ways, and there are a lot of people who look at you to pull out results in every race. But you have to pick your battles, and that is what the team is doing with me. It takes time to build up, and they are doing things just right."

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Yeah, just look at Andy. Carrying bottles for his team mates and doing a great job in helping Contador win. He did a good job setting the pace on the Tourmalet and Contador was nice enough to let his team mate win the stage.

Are you saying that Andrew is a top quality rider????? :rolleyes:

What about if Riis is using Porte in that way cuz He knows that He is going to lose him the next year?

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
What about if Riis is using Porte in that way cuz He knows that He is going to lose him the next year?

That was one angle I didn't think of when I commented earlier. You could be right but then I think Riis is a bit smarter player than that, in any case would Porte really want to go to GreenEdge?

I would think with all that is going on Porte should have been keeping his mind on the job and playing the Saxo team game, he could end up being a winner out of it all.

search said:
who's gonna be left for the Tour if Contador isn't able/allowed to ride? Chris Anker Soerensen as Saxos guy for GC?! :confused:

I doubt Porte will finish the Giro this year, bad move in my humble opinion

Well Sorensen has shown alot more than Porte this year. It's the best move for the team. If Contador isn't allowed to do the Tour, then they have Sorensen there to stage chase or seek a high placing in the gc. If Contador is able ride the Tour they have Sorensen as his chief lieutenant in the mountains. Also I think there is a chance that Contador will pass up the Tour or give it a try and pull out fatigued after a strenuous Giro. This leaves Andy to feel the pressure of being the heavy favorite, feel that churning sensation in his little belly and do something stupid to muck up his chances, handing the win over to someone more worthy, like Samu.;)

TRENDING THREADS