• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Possible Sub Folders. Tell us what you want

Daniel Benson

Administrator
Mar 2, 2009
www.cyclingnews.com
Hi Everyone,

We are in process of figuring out what sub-topics to add for our Road section of the forums. What would you like to see? Here are some ideas you've brainstormed so far. Let us know if you like these subtopics or have other suggestions.

Jamsque: In the Road, MTB, Cyclo-Cross and Track forums, does it maybe make sense to have an 'official' pinned discussion thread for any ongoing race? It would keep things tidy, and also help those who can't follow races during the day and like to watch highlight shows or replays without knowing the results.

dimspace:
General
Grand Tours
Classics
Other Races

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
It is easier to discuss all pro racing in one forum than have it split into several forums.

You need a general forum for everyone on the site that can serve as a catch-all for subjects that might interest everyone.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Daniel Benson said:
Hi Everyone,

We are in process of figuring out what sub-topics to add for our Road section of the forums. What would you like to see? Here are some ideas you've brainstormed so far. Let us know if you like these subtopics or have other suggestions.

Jamsque: In the Road, MTB, Cyclo-Cross and Track forums, does it maybe make sense to have an 'official' pinned discussion thread for any ongoing race? It would keep things tidy, and also help those who can't follow races during the day and like to watch highlight shows or replays without knowing the results.

dimspace:
General
Grand Tours
Classics
Other Races

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Hi daniel,

sure does...& you've pretty much hit the topics on the head...infact for the GT's you'll probably find that threads will spring up for discussion on each individual stage, within the sub folder.

I'm also of the opinion that we keep only one forum, and allow threads of all sort to come and go. More hustle and bustle makes a forum look more alive, whereas partitioning it would spread and thin out the conversations. Although, I am in favour of stickying or pinning a thread while the event is unfolding. IE: Paris Nice thread pinned at the top until sunday)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I still think we should have a 'general' road cycling forum, but I do think that once more people start to post here it will get busy and cluttered fast. Now that I think about it I think I prefer sub-forums to 'official' threads for certain races. I would suggest something like this:

Road
-General
--Tour de France
--Giro d'Italia
--Vuelta a Espana
--Flanders Week
--Ardennes Week
--Other races

That way we can keep general non-race-specific threads in the general forum, and have a separate space for discussion of all of the really popular races that are sure to spawn lots of threads.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque's idea of an Official Race thread, or a "Today's Race/s" thread is great - any spoilers in other threads before the following dawn CET be subjected to an infraction, or forced to watch ten complete Tour of Qatar stages back to back.

As for sub fora, I think a "Cycling Past" subforum could be a good idea, as there are surely a few nostagliaists out there who want to know who actually won on La Plagne in 1987, or debate whether Zootemelek would have won the Tour more often if he had been born ten years earlier.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Merckx said:
I say they adopt a wait and see approach. As it is, the forum is too new to divide into subsections. They should let the member base establish itself first, IMO.

This is normally the approach I would take, though I notice already that this is the busiest of the fora, and already I am finding that sleeping is a bad idea when one wants to keep on top of things here. I know from my experience (simply that of one man, with his affectations), that if everything seems too jumbled, I'll not be looking as regularly as I otherwise might, especially if I have to wade through the ranks to find that one discussion I want to contribute to. In this I suspect we will need sub fora sooner than the others. And seeing as it is the management who are asking us about it, I think speculating on what they should be is a good idea.

Jamsque said:
I still think we should have a 'general' road cycling forum, but I do think that once more people start to post here it will get busy and cluttered fast. Now that I think about it I think I prefer sub-forums to 'official' threads for certain races. I would suggest something like this:

Road
-General
--Tour de France
--Giro d'Italia
--Vuelta a Espana
--Flanders Week
--Ardennes Week
--Other races

That way we can keep general non-race-specific threads in the general forum, and have a separate space for discussion of all of the really popular races that are sure to spawn lots of threads.

I like this idea, though I think it may be a little too specific, and some fora become redundant during the off-season - The Ardennes Week, for instance, has about a three week lead in, the week itself, and possibly two weeks after - a sub fora only really heavily occupied for 6 of 52 weeks.

Taking your idea, how about this, or a variation thereof:

Road
- General
- Grand Tours
- Other Major Stage Races
- One Day Classics
- Other Races
- Nostalgia

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bluebeard said:
This is normally the approach I would take, though I notice already that this is the busiest of the fora, and already I am finding that sleeping is a bad idea when one wants to keep on top of things here. I know from my experience (simply that of one man, with his affectations), that if everything seems too jumbled, I'll not be looking as regularly as I otherwise might, especially if I have to wade through the ranks to find that one discussion I want to contribute to. In this I suspect we will need sub fora sooner than the others. And seeing as it is the management who are asking us about it, I think speculating on what they should be is a good idea.

I like this idea, though I think it may be a little too specific, and some fora become redundant during the off-season - The Ardennes Week, for instance, has about a three week lead in, the week itself, and possibly two weeks after - a sub fora only really heavily occupied for 6 of 52 weeks.

Road
- General
- Grand Tours
- One Day Classics
- Other Races
- Nostalgia

I like this.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Merckx said:
I'm also of the opinion that we keep only one forum, and allow threads of all sort to come and go. More hustle and bustle makes a forum look more alive, whereas partitioning it would spread and thin out the conversations. Although, I am in favour of stickying or pinning a thread while the event is unfolding. IE: Paris Nice thread pinned at the top until sunday)

Agreed, 100%. Much easier to keep in a single folder. In other forums I am a part of, we see 60-70 threads popping at once. By the way, you CAN adjust the number of threads you see per page by editing your options on your User CP page. I tend to keep 30 per page

Perhaps we can have a "Doper's Corner" where the trolls can scream at each other and wallow in their own muck as well.

I do like the idea of multiple forums, simply because one forum can become quickly overwhelmed with unrelated topics - especially around April, May, July and September.

But, too many forums can become too much as well.

How about these:

General (teams, riders, interviews, events, contests/givaways, site news, etc)
Grand Tours (everything to do with the 3 Grand Tours, including teams/profiles, riders/profiles, stages, predictions, pictures, news, links, etc)
Classics (includes semi-classics, races, predictions, teams, riders, news, etc)
Races (this is for any other professional race and all that goes with it: teams, riders, interviews, etc...)
Continental (Continental races, teams, and riders from all countries. News, etc).
Miscellaneous (for everything else )

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
VeloGirl said:
I do like the idea of multiple forums, simply because one forum can become quickly overwhelmed with unrelated topics - especially around April, May, July and September.

But, too many forums can become too much as well.

How about these:

General (teams, riders, interviews, events, contests/givaways, site news, etc)
Grand Tours (everything to do with the 3 Grand Tours, including teams/profiles, riders/profiles, stages, predictions, pictures, news, links, etc)
Classics (includes semi-classics, races, predictions, teams, riders, news, etc)
Races (this is for any other professional race and all that goes with it: teams, riders, interviews, etc...)
Continental (Continental races, teams, and riders from all countries. News, etc).
Miscellaneous (for everything else )

Nice, and each forum such as grand tours would need sub folders when those months roll around.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Add a doping section.

TFF - I actually like this idea, and I would participate IF it meant that the other threads (ones specific to a race, a team, a rider) don't become the targets of vitriolic trolling....

I could see, for instance, someone starting a thread that says "How will Liquigas do in MSR?" It would be nice if this became a discussion about the various riders and their chances rather than see it devolve into Doper Basso this and druggie druggie that. Am I being too optimistic? :confused:

Now, I think that still leaves room for when someone starts a thread like "Ivan Basso is God; How Dare You Besmirch Him!", then it's game on for the vitriol.

A

Anonymous

53x11 in DC said:
TFF - I actually like this idea, and I would participate IF it meant that the other threads (ones specific to a race, a team, a rider) don't become the targets of vitriolic trolling....

I could see, for instance, someone starting a thread that says "How will Liquigas do in MSR?" It would be nice if this became a discussion about the various riders and their chances rather than see it devolve into Doper Basso this and druggie druggie that. Am I being too optimistic? :confused:

Now, I think that still leaves room for when someone starts a thread like "Ivan Basso is God; How Dare You Besmirch Him!", then it's game on for the vitriol.

Yep, that is why I think it is a good idea. It does keep the discussion on other threads on topic and off doping. Of course if you have a GT forum for example, and there are drug busts, it will come up. However, on an ongoing basis, it is nice for everyone involved to have a specific place to address those issues without potentially turning other threads to that topic. I think doping is still the rule rather than the exception, but I don't want to talk about that when there is discussion of who will win P-R or things like that.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bluebeard said:

Road
- General
- Grand Tours
- One Day Classics
- Other Races
- Nostalgia

Like it...
The only thing is we could have a forum called "Lance"

If you like him you can live there, if you don't, you can stay away:):):)

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
BEST COST and QUalyty BIKES
TOP EVER CYCLIST
TOUR
GIRO
VUELTA
WOMEN CYCLING
CYCLING ASIA
CLASICS
GREAT MONTAINS
LEGENDS
STORYS CYCLING
FEED AND RELAX
TRAINING CAMP
TRAVEL CYCLING
HOLLYDAY CYCLING
WORLD CHAMPIONCHIPS
SPRINTERS
CLIMBERS
" GREGARIOS" that man who carry the water botles

A

Anonymous

Notso Swift said:
Like it...
The only thing is we could have a forum called "Lance"

If you like him you can live there, if you don't, you can stay away:):):)

No, it would just concentrate the arguments about him in one place. Maybe that is not a bad idea.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I posted some suggestions under general forum/suggestions.

1) a folder about race events, local races, cyclo sportives, gran fondos, charity rides, favourite routes one usually rides, with info about routes, distance, competition level, fees, where to stay, links to offical websites of events etc.

2) a social folder, where people can hook up for group rides, couch surf and ride together with people who know there way around in area someone is going to, organize events, have quizzes, post pics of bike(s) you own, pics of pros, funny anecdotes about cycling, who knows, maybe even sell second hand equipment that one doesn't need anymore.

A

Anonymous

An all (ooh.. that looks like an.al) anyway, an all things astana folder..

please...

TRENDING THREADS