• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Post AC - who to cheer for?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Now that Contador has retired, in which rider should I emoti

• Landa - strong climber, hints of panache, AC-approved, team leader next year

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Quintana - surely he'll return to form and beat Froome via attacks in style, right?

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Chavito

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Superman Lopez

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Zakarin

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Dumoulin - took a dump and won the Giro but a bit like Froome 2.0

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Bardet - openly admitted he's not willing to put in the work to excel at the TT - not exactly the at

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Nibali - a bit like becoming a Contador fane in April 2015

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Mas - play the long game

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Aru - that pain face though

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters
I'm a fan of cycling, so I like most of the riders in the peloton. Then, depending on different factors, I cheer for one or more of them during a specific race. Among the riders mentioned, I normally root for Chaves, Dumoulin, Nibali, Superman and Mas (who gets my vote being so young and the only one with a slight chance of becoming Contador's heir).

Other GC riders I root for: Kruijskwijk, Formolo, Pinot and Jungels. I have mixed feelings for Landa, Bardet and Zakarin, but find myself cheering for them in most cases, since they are attacking riders. For the future I have big hopes for Ciccone.

I'm assuming we're only talking about GC riders because there would be like a million more if we include classic riders and domestiques.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
There is an advantage though. We can spend more time on our bikes instead of watching hours of useless television, listening to clueless commentators, wasting heaps of precious time, waiting for those last 3km warriors to maybe (!) pull off something only in the very end of the stage (or classic, once Phil the Great retires). Just go up the road yourselves, imagine you're training or racing like Alberto.

Vamos grandes contadoristas!

In the beginning I wasn't a Contador fan, because he was from the wrong team. However he gradually won my respect by showing his individuality and will power.

The three main candidates are the Colombian climbers Quintana, Lopez and Chaves. I like Aru and Bardet as well. Whoever shows the best progression between them next year will have my support. I always like the individual climbers. Quintana disappointed this year, but his Vuelta win is only a year ago, so I still voted for him. I would love to see any of these riders do the impossible and beat the Sky train at the Tour.

Landa? No way. Signing for Sky is like selling your soul to the Devil. It will take a lot from him to regain my sympathy.

You can also add the super young guys to the mix like Bernal and Gaudu, they are already producing big results now and has 'that' which Contador also add. Obviously Bernal signed for Sky so there's that. I obviously also have to throw Marc Soler in the mix, lets see if my hype pays off, but I genuinely think he will be a big thing. He will ride a season in the shadows of his leaders in 18 tho. Then there's the dark side of Pinot and Tonton, I wouldn't recommend anyone in their right mind to join that mess. :D

Re: Re:

Pantani_lives said:
Valv.Piti said:
I obviously also have to throw Marc Soler in the mix, lets see if my hype pays off, but I genuinely think he will be a big thing.
I expected more of him in the Vuelta, a stage win or a top 10. But he will only turn 24 in November and he was in several breakaways, so he has potential.
I find 24 quite old this day&age. Many youngsters were these years in several breakaways, so i guess they also have potential. But then, AC himself did a kaboom at 25, so he still has a year to catch up big time. Miguel Lopez is a year younger and this Vuelta he showed much more, than just several breakaways. For now, when it comes to Spaniards, Enric Mas seems to have a bit more to offer, while being 2 years younger. Also, what happened to Ruben Fernandez, as he was a big deal like a year to two years ago, and now i don't hear much about him? Maybe a crash, and i just missed it.

I dont think Landa is a champion...there I said it ...I think he ia a great climber but no champion and not one who will put it on the line ...no way

Zakarin I like better as he kinda throws himself into things ...quite literally

But when it comes to personality and presence and grit...it has to be Dumoulin ....he has it all going on..he is a champion

None of the young Spanish are near yet so hard to say

Chaves is a lovely guy and great on the short steep stuff but TT and longer MTNs are not great

Yates boys for me have a plateau of top 5...

Quintana has hardly set the World on fire but Lopez looks ot have more panache...but time will tell

I like Bardet & Pinot ....both try and attack ....Of the 2 Pinot is the more rounded and attractive (as a rider)plus he overcame that descending issue which took balls

Aru...pain face is impossible to watch and keep food down...plus he seems to fade badly in 3 weeks races ...not sure what that is about...plus heard pros dont like him and some think he is dodgy

Nibali is the man....great all round rider but maybe we have seen the best of him ...but definitely a champion worth shouting for

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
I dont think Landa is a champion...there I said it ...I think he ia a great climber but no champion and not one who will put it on the line ...no way

But when it comes to personality and presence and grit...it has to be Dumoulin ....he has it all going on..he is a champion

Chaves is a lovely guy and great on the short steep stuff but TT and longer MTNs are not great

Quintana has hardly set the World on fire but Lopez looks ot have more panache...but time will tell

I like Bardet & Pinot ....both try and attack ....Of the 2 Pinot is the more rounded and attractive (as a rider)plus he overcame that descending issue which took balls

Aru...pain face is impossible to watch and keep food down...plus he seems to fade badly in 3 weeks races ...not sure what that is about...plus heard pros dont like him and some think he is dodgy

Nibali is the man....great all round rider but maybe we have seen the best of him ...but definitely a champion worth shouting for

Landa is definitely not a champion. A real champ doesn't miss in two (!) GT's the opportunity to take the top step instead of staying with his vulnerable leader. And considering his age he has shown little to be even close to a champion.

Re: Re:

Pennino said:
HelloDolly said:

Landa is definitely not a champion. A real champ doesn't miss in two (!) GT's the opportunity to take the top step instead of staying with his vulnerable leader.

What, like Chris Froome?

I'm Dutch and have patriotic tendencies when watching sports, so will root for Dumoulin, and also for Poels (even as a Sky rider), Kruijswijk, Kelderman, Mollema, Gesink and Oomen. After many many dry years we Dutch have stumbled upon a great cycling generation, which kind of compensates for the horrible state of the Dutch football team these days. As many here, I don't like the Sky hegemony and I do like attacking riders. I did not mind Kelderman losing 3rd in the Vuelta that much, as Zakarin and Contador were more attack-minded and proved stronger in the end. My main hope is that the Sky train is cracked soon. I hope that Dumoulin will crack Froome and Sky next year; for that to happen, he needs to improve in the mountains and Sunweb needs to become twice as strong, so it won't be easy. I'd like to see Lopez, Quintana and Landa attacking sky in the mountains. I don't dislike Froome as a person, he seems to be very friendly. But I want his and Sky's stranglehold on the GT's broken.

TRENDING THREADS