• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Post ride recovery food

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I am at the stage now were I have upped my level from casual weekend rider to getting into the realm of racing and harder/longer distance rides. I have got my pre-ride and during-ride eating habits pretty much sorted, I get in enough fuel and I keep myself well fueled while out on the road, what I am struggling with is what to eat/drink once I stop. Usually I will stop and get myself rehydrated quickly and feel ok, but then about an hour later I hit a point where I feel starving and really tired. The problem is that I will then throw anything in to me to combat this, but I am not sure this is always the best idea, and probably defeats the good work I have done out on the road.

So just wondering, what tips/tricks do any of you guys have for the post ride refuel?

Scott

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing I'm similar to you....Was used to doing short rides of 1.5-2hrs 5 times a week, but now I've gotten into the groove of things I ride 1.5hrs before work 3 days a week and then on weekends I'll do 3-5hr rides.

For recovery after the shorter rides I just make sure I have a good breakfast when I get home, oatmeal or protein shake. For recovery after the longer rides I mix protein, banana's, honey, peanut butter and skim milk in the blender to make a shake immediately when I get home which seems to work.

I'll also have a grilled chicken breast and salad for lunch a couple of hours later and drink plenty of water.

I'm sure there are probably plenty of better ideas, but this works for me.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Refuel with a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. Cliff bars are made specifically to this ratio and what I keep with me. Proper nutrition is pretty athlete-specific and if you're serious, you would do well to go to a good sports nutritionist to have your metabolism tested and be put on a plan engineered around you and what you do.

Craving and downing junk food because you're "starving" is probably due to an improper diet and the nutritionist can help you with that too. Try cutting out the junk carbs like starches, grains, sugars, and replacing them with fresh veg, nuts, and quality protein.

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
AnythingButKestrel said:
Refuel with a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. Cliff bars are made specifically to this ratio and what I keep with me. Proper nutrition is pretty athlete-specific and if you're serious, you would do well to go to a good sports nutritionist to have your metabolism tested and be put on a plan engineered around you and what you do.

Craving and downing junk food because you're "starving" is probably due to an improper diet and the nutritionist can help you with that too. Try cutting out the junk carbs like starches, grains, sugars, and replacing them with fresh veg, nuts, and quality protein.
Yeah, had been considering a sports nutritionist, but was seeing if I could figure something out for myself first. I think I have always thought that as long as I get the pre and during eating I would be ok, and I was, but now with weekends including longer/harder rides the need for better recovery eating has come in to play. I have started to cut out the junk carbs, but they just taste so good. The 4:1 ratio is a good one, will start implementing that one.

For recovery, simple sugars will do, and the tastier, the better.

I find this pretty tasty:

91323.jpg

i used to run a 10k in Fullerton. it was called "the night lite 10k" it was sponsored by Bud-lite Beer. after running a hard 10k, you had unlimited
beer,pizza, and live music. got lucky there and very drunk more than once.
maybe not in the training manual,but...
i ran a PB 32 minute 10k there, so i must have wanted the finish line
refreshments as much as anything.:)

Do some study about the glycogen system in humans and what the term 'bonking' means for cyclists. I just found a great article from the famous cardiologist Dr McDougall. He coached Carl Lewis regarding nutrition during his gold medal years.

The typical western meal consists of carbohydrate-deficient foods. All meats and oils contain no carbohydrate. Only 2% of calories from cheese are carbohydrate. Eating carbohydrate-rich starches, vegetables and fruits will satisfy your hunger and free you from constant preoccupation with thoughts of food and the compulsive overeating that results. Look great and never be hungry again!

So when you finish training/workday etc, of course we are going to be hungry or soon hungry. Fill up on high carb, low fat, wholefood plant sources to get the best nutrition for your body, bike and waistline.

Im about to head off for 6 hours in the mountains. Im drinking blended dates, will take dates with me and have a few trays of mangoes tonight for dinner. Basically just water and carbs with all the amino acids and essential fatty acids that are found in fruits and veg.

*Basically aim for 10g of carbs per kg of bodyweight. Get these carbs from wholefood plant sources vs refined plastic junk. Fruit vs lollies, brown rice vs white rice etc.

*Drink enough water that your urine appears clear and at least 10 times a day.

*Eat before your hungry and drink before your thirsty.

*Keep fat intake very low and fruit and veg intake very high.

Watch your fitness and health skyrocket.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:
Im about to head off for 6 hours in the mountains. Im drinking blended dates, will take dates with me and have a few trays of mangoes tonight for dinner.
I'm surprised to hear that dates can get you through 6 hrs in the mountains, but hey if it works more power to you. That does sound like a very boring day's eating though. Do you tire of the 20 banana meals and date smoothies?

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
durianrider said:
I just found a great article from the famous cardiologist Dr McDougall. He coached Carl Lewis regarding nutrition during his gold medal years.

The typical western meal consists of carbohydrate-deficient foods. All meats and oils contain no carbohydrate.

"carb deficient"??? That really surprises me.

I'm assuming that you distinguish between fast and slow release carb? Filling up on quick sugars is not what I thought was a good idea!

What do the fastest cyclists in the world consume for fuel on the bike? Fat? Protein or carbs? Its carbs and what sort of carbs? Simple carbs.

Every cell in the human body runs on glucose and/or fructose. To limit the bodies intake of simple sugars from sweet fruits is not going to be fruitful. (pun intended).

I go for fruit. I rode 170km today on dates and water. Around the hills of Brisbane. I did 210km a few days ago on dates and water. Over 4000m of climbing. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/50708347

My pb for 10km is 38:!8 set 2 weeks ago. I ate nothing before it as it was such a short event and drank a litre of water straight after plus a good feed of fruit.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/49574615

Do dates get boring? Yeah for sure... when Im not hungry! :) Do I just eat dates? No. There is literally thousands and thousands of different types of fruits, let alone other plant source of carbs.

Refined sugar will stop you from bonking, but fruit is the best simple sugar at the end of the day. We can eat bananas or power bars wrapped in plastic and cost up to 10x the price for lesser quality nutrition.

I work in the health and fitness industry. Carbs are king and sweet fruit is the god. ;)

About Maryjane,

Quote: "Maryjane and Jaegermeister before, during and after"

From Black Balled 8/17/10.

-0-

Carbs and fruit within minutes. That is: Bagel (without partially hydrogenated anything or any high fructose corn sweeteners) and a fruit / yogurt smoothie that includes hemp seeds from the local health food store. The Maryjane seeds are shelled and contain gamma linolenic acid (GLA). -GLA is known to contribute to a strong immune system, is good fat and is only available in 5 locations. Primrose oil, black current seed oil, borage, mother's milk and hemp seeds and oil. Hemp seed oil is good in salads and has a balance of GLA, Omega 6 & Omega 3 like blood plasma.

Anticipate eating a lot in about 2 hours.

-0-

It's not just what you eat. It's also what you don't eat.

Get partially hydrogenated oils out of your house and life! When we ride for hours we burn fat for fuel. The last fats your body will burn is that gargage hydrogenated selection. (some nutritionalists claim the body doesn't burn it at all) When you eat bad fat your not getting the good fat which is important. And that bad juju fat is the stuff that clogs arteries.

Many cyclists already know this, but... for those who don't, look at the list of ingredients on bread, crackers, pasties, cereal and so many other foods and you will be surprised and a little shocked how many foods contain partially hydrogenated oils.

Health food stores don't let that crap in the door.

Get rid of it and cycle and live better.

TRENDING THREADS