• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Powertap Build Quality

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Going to be purchasing a Powertap hub soon. I was initially going to just buy the hub and lace it to some DT RR645 rims with competition spokes. However, Cycleops sells this exact wheel combo ready to go and ends up being a little cheaper and a lot easier in the long run.

My question/concern is about the build quality from Powertap. Are the wheels hand laced? Even tension? Etc? Basically do they do a good job or should I spend more and get somebody who knows there stuff to do it?

Mike

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Powertap SL+ wheel built directly from them last year, built with Mavic Open Pro rim, 32 spoke, and it has held up perfectly with a light tune-up every couple thousand K. Sample of one, but it's been fine under heavy training use (probably 5-7,000 km on the wheel in the year, and I'm 220 lbs and not light on equipment), and I didn't hear any problems when I looked around a year ago.

dynomike8 said:
Hi all,

Going to be purchasing a Powertap hub soon. I was initially going to just buy the hub and lace it to some DT RR645 rims with competition spokes. However, Cycleops sells this exact wheel combo ready to go and ends up being a little cheaper and a lot easier in the long run.

My question/concern is about the build quality from Powertap. Are the wheels hand laced? Even tension? Etc? Basically do they do a good job or should I spend more and get somebody who knows there stuff to do it?

Mike

Get 'em and then have a good wheelbuilder, true, round, dish, tension and stress relieve.

Or get the hub, choose a rim, DT spokes and have a good wheelbuilder do it..my suggestion.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Get 'em and then have a good wheelbuilder, true, round, dish, tension and stress relieve.

Or get the hub, choose a rim, DT spokes and have a good wheelbuilder do it..my suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think that it what I am going to do. Really interested in the Stans Alpha 340, so gonna give them a try. Figure 32, 3X rear and 28, 2X front w/ DT Comp (or maybe supercomp) should give a solid wheel that I could race with if I want as well.

Anybody have any experience w/ DT supercomps? They seem like a popular choice, especially in the MTB world.

dynomike8 said:
Thanks for the suggestion, I think that it what I am going to do. Really interested in the Stans Alpha 340, so gonna give them a try. Figure 32, 3X rear and 28, 2X front w/ DT Comp (or maybe supercomp) should give a solid wheel that I could race with if I want as well.

Anybody have any experience w/ DT supercomps? They seem like a popular choice, especially in the MTB world.

Not worth the $, IMO as compared to Comps. Stan 340 rims are very light, somewhat 'soft'...32 3 cross front is a better option, IMHO.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
SB_MastersRacer said:
I have a Powertap SL+ wheel built directly from them last year, built with Mavic Open Pro rim, 32 spoke, and it has held up perfectly with a light tune-up every couple thousand K. Sample of one, but it's been fine under heavy training use (probably 5-7,000 km on the wheel in the year, and I'm 220 lbs and not light on equipment), and I didn't hear any problems when I looked around a year ago.

I also have a PT SL+.

However, I chose to pay AUD200 for local BS to build PT into Open Pro 32h with Champion spokes (shipping for built wheel was way more expensive). I'm 95kg and wanted a bullet proof wheel...no probs so far...touch wood...

May 20, 2010
Visit site
addendum

Another advantage of having LBS build wheel: tuneups are more likely to be done at short notice and cost less...FWIW