• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

PowerTap-Garmin 705 Questions

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I have a wireless PowerTap 2.4 and a Garmin 305. I am thinking of upgrading to a Garmin 705. I have emailed the following questions to Garmin and Saris, but thought I'd see if actual users can answer my questions:
1. Does the Garmin 705 receive all the information from the hub, including speed and cadence, or do I need to use Garmin speed and cadence sensors?
2. If the latter, can I use the speed and cadence sensors for my Garmin 305 for the Garmin 705?
3. Lastly, and most importantly, does the information downloaded from the Garmin 705 include the data from the PowerTap, such as all the power data? This is important to me because I would like to use a single CPU/program for all my ride information, including power (PowerTap) and climbing (Garmin). I am a Mac user.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
The Garmin 705 will display power, speed, and cadence from the PowerTap hub. It will also display heart rate when using either the CycleOps or Garmin strap. There is no need for additional sensors.

Data can be downloaded from the Garmin into PowerAgent directly. All info will be transfered with the exception of altitude.

If you want to use Garmin Training Center you will get all data except power.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Powertap & Garmin 705

A call out to Garmin705 and Powertap users - a few questions:

- Can you see left/right pedal information? If so, I assume that this is visible after download, not on the head unit? and what software are you using?

- Is the only differences between the various Garmin compatible Powertap models the weight, bearings (ceramic or not), and axle (steel/alloy and 12mm/15mm)?

- a previous post said that altitude was not available simultaneously with power. Is this true? Any other notable limitations?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Preemo said:
- Can you see left/right pedal information? If so, I assume that this is visible after download, not on the head unit? and what software are you using?

No, PT measures power differently to SRM. Both use strain gauge technology to measure torque, and hence power, but the SRM does it at the cranks and the PT does it at the hub. Hence, there is no left/right pedal information with PT.

Preemo said:
Is the only differences between the various Garmin compatible Powertap models the weight, bearings (ceramic or not), and axle (steel/alloy and 12mm/15mm)?

Yes, these are the only differences to the best of my knowledge.

Preemo said:
A previous post said that altitude was not available simultaneously with power. Is this true? Any other notable limitations?

Not on mine. I can get both power and altitude simultaneously on the same screen while riding.

Not really a limitation, but the Garmin does not have outside temperature. However, the combination of PT and Garmin is excellent.

Finding suitable Mac-compatible software can be difficult because PowerAgent does not import Garmin data like feet climbed etc, and Garmin Training Center does not import PT data like power. The story is most likely different if you use a PC. I have looked at a variety of other Mac compatible software programs such as Golden Cheetah, RaceDay and Ascent (I haven't tried iSMARTrain), and was disappointed with most except Ascent. But my coach couldn't use Ascent. I use TrainingPeaks, which works quite well and is included in my coaching package so I don't have to pay extra. If I were not to have a coach, I would use Ascent.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
keep your eyes open for a new version of CycleOps PowerAgent. Not only will you be able to download data from the Garmin, but it will also have altitude.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I use an ibike with a garmin 705 and while I have a PC I also have a mac and switching over to an new Imac(27" of viewing pleasure:)

I use training peaks software and you can use that to download all the data, both altitude and power, and of course HR and all the other fun stuff. The problem is that it is not a mac program... yet anyway. You will have to run parallels or boot camp to have that program work for you. I would say that Training Peaks is worth the money however and even the bother for mac owners.

I think the PT is the way to go but I am interested in the new power-meter that is coming out that will be in the pedals, this should give Left and right power info and is pretty light.

I wish garmin would do a better job with the interval targets and include power.

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
St. Elia said:
I think the PT is the way to go but I am interested in the new power-meter that is coming out that will be in the pedals, this should give Left and right power info and is pretty light.

metrics is the one I think you are talking about. Goes in a speedplay pedal. It will probally be out in July or august. The last i read they were not going to give out the left right power info stuff except to physical therapists. That will probally change if enough people want it.

I wish garmin would do a better job with the interval targets and include power.

not sure what you mean. My 705 I can put any type interval I want to include power. The training center I have (I don't use it anymore so have not updated it) does not do the power but you can do power in the unit itself.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes you have the right power meter, and I hope it is good as it looks like a great solution.

With the garmin can you set the target for the interval for power? I know you can do it for speed and HR but I didn't see it for power. Thanks for that. But Garmin should do a better job with the training center and whats with only 99 intervals??

Still, it's the best HR monitor I have ever owned, the GPS is a plus. I'd say compared to polar it wins hands down.