• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dr. Giovanni Tredici, the Giro’s chief medical officer, explained that Pozzovivo had been transported by helicopter as a precaution rather than as a necessity. “The roads are twisting in Liguria and there’s a good traumatological centre in the hospital in Genoa, so it was more convenient to use a helicopter,” he said.

Prior to Pozzovivo’s arrival in hospital, Dr. Tredici had assured RAI television that the Basilicata native’s condition was “serious but under control. We’re not in an emergency situation.”

Speaking to reporters in the press centre in Sestri Levante after the stage, Dr. Tredici went on to sound an optimistic note about Pozzovivo’s injuries. “The rider got to hospital half an hour ago and his condition is still stable,” Dr. Tredici said. “He’ll undergo the usual battery of tests for facial and head injuries. Our first impression is that the head injuries weren’t significant but obviously we’re awaiting the results of the tests.”
If something new comes up, please post here.

MellowJohnny said:
Is he doing okay anyone know?

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=79441&tp=n

Pozzo: "I'm fine... but don't remember anything."

Professor Paolo Moscatelli, head of the Emergency Department of the San Martino hospital: "The CT scan is negative for encephalic injury and there are no fractures. Pozzovivo reported facial injuries that required some stitches, but overall the picture is good."

Great news.

Interesting to see in the footage today, one of DP's teammates staying with him, despite his teammate being motionless on the road still managed to put his bike down with respect, unlike Wiggins who constantly used to throw his against the wall. I don't want this to turn into anything other than good wishes for DP but I thought that was interesting none the less.

After seeing the video of him on the gurney at the hospital I was very worried about damage to his right eye and I think they might have been too as they were cagey on discussing actual injuries beyond it not being critical. It seems he had a deep cut above his right eye but other than that he's come away with nothing too damaging.

Very, very happy to hear this :D

Re:

MellowJohnny said:
Interesting to see in the footage today, one of DP's teammates staying with him, despite his teammate being motionless on the road still managed to put his bike down with respect, unlike Wiggins who constantly used to throw his against the wall. I don't want this to turn into anything other than good wishes for DP but I thought that was interesting none the less.

You say that you "don't want this to turn into anything other than good wishes for DP", but in fact your post seems to serve no purpose other than to extrapolate from one scarcely comparable incident to draw a generalisation about a rider entirely unconnected to this event. Possibly the single most reprehensible, ill-judged and poorly-evidenced hater-post I have ever noticed on this forum, and on this forum, that is no mean feat. You should be ashamed of yourself for twisting a near-catastrophe for such purposes.

Great to hear that he is confident of a rapid recovery.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=79449&tp=n
He's saying that he was in the best shape of his life and that he'll be back in a month, he wants to ride the TdS :eek:

If it's just a bad bang and facial injuries then I see no reason, as long as he's mentally ok, for him not to be back on the bike very soon. He won't lose much form and as nasty as they can be, facial injuries tend to heal fairly quickly and not cause too many problems when they only involve flesh. He's a very lucky guy by the sounds of things which everyone should be extremely pleased about :) Hope to see him back out there very soon!

It looked far, far, far worse than it has turned out to be which is the greatest thing possible. We are all aware of what can happen after events in recent and more distant times, it is just so great that this was not even close to that. Will be very good to see him racing again.

Re: Re:

valentius borealis said:
RedheadDane said:
Gotta love a guy who spends the night after a potentially very dangerous crash, in the hospital planning his next move. :D
It reminds me of when Jens Voigt declared himself fit to race again just days after having his face smashed up in a similar crash on a descent in the 2009 Tour.

He was angry/disappointed he couldn't get to the Tour of Denmark. :D

But I think there was a lot less time to work with then. There's plenty of time from now to TdS.

Re: Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
MellowJohnny said:

You say that you "don't want this to turn into anything other than good wishes for DP", but in fact your post seems to serve no purpose other than to extrapolate from one scarcely comparable incident to draw a generalisation about a rider entirely unconnected to this event. Possibly the single most reprehensible, ill-judged and poorly-evidenced hater-post I have ever noticed on this forum, and on this forum, that is no mean feat. You should be ashamed of yourself for twisting a near-catastrophe for such purposes.

Great to hear that he is confident of a rapid recovery.

Seriously get a grip :D

TRENDING THREADS