• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Practical Requests and Suggestions

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Please add 'Previous Stage' and 'Next Stage' buttons or links to your stage race reports.

NOTE: I am suggesting that this thread include very specific things to add or change on the website, which can be brought to the attention of the CN editors and staff. My intention is not necessarily to provide feedback here, but to present very practical changes we as readers would hope the editors and staff can make to improve the site.

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
I would like the previous and next back on the bottom of all the news editions as well as the top.

I often don't get to read them everyday and often can only check from blackberry where it is then extremly hard and slow to get the next news. On Bberry all the banners and left pane has to be scrolled through (10 screens or so) to get to the news then at he bottom have to scroll back to the top of news (not page) to get next news. It is painful and it didn't use to be like that.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

manolo

This thread is an excellent idea - thanks for starting it.

These are all good ideas so far, and we'll be looking at implementing all of them over the next few months.

Please bear in mind that changes to a site as complex as Cyclingnews can take a while, and that's as frustrating for us as it is for you, but we realise there are lots of things we can improve, and we are working to do so.

As it happens, we've just fixed a couple of things - the pages with maps and profiles for the Vuelta now work properly so you can see all the map, and we've brought back the old lists of photos, so you can see which ones feature your favourite riders, important action and so on.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
More questions than answers

John Stevenson said:
manolo

This thread is an excellent idea - thanks for starting it.

These are all good ideas so far, and we'll be looking at implementing all of them over the next few months.

Please bear in mind that changes to a site as complex as Cyclingnews can take a while, and that's as frustrating for us as it is for you, but we realise there are lots of things we can improve, and we are working to do so.

As it happens, we've just fixed a couple of things - the pages with maps and profiles for the Vuelta now work properly so you can see all the map, and we've brought back the old lists of photos, so you can see which ones feature your favourite riders, important action and so on.

Your reply creates more questions than answers. It begs the question who allowed the roll out of a product that was not useable since 15th June and even with your frustration (let alone ours) will never be a good website again!

Kind regards

Peter

May 5, 2009
Visit site
manolo said:
Please add 'Previous Stage' and 'Next Stage' buttons or links to your stage race reports.

NOTE: I am suggesting that this thread include very specific things to add or change on the website, which can be brought to the attention of the CN editors and staff. .

(Sigh!) Please consider getting rid of your News Headlines on the left hand side of your News Tab page. I'm lazy and hate clicking back and forth between a story and the next one. On the the old site you went to one page for news and just scrolled down, reading as you go. One page, one click. It'd be nice to not have to click several times to read different news items. Just scrolling down was very pleasant on the old site. Just wanted to be heard and to read more easily! : )

Thanks for putting up the buttons, by the way!

A

Anonymous

manolo

Click on 'Editions' above the individual news headlines, and then on, say, 'First Edition Cycling News, Monday, May 17, 2010' and you will get a news collection exactly the way you want it.

The individual headlines allow us to publish news as it happens rather than waiting up to 12 hours to collect it into an edition. But if you're happy to wait, the editions are still there for you.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Before the website was revamped all race reports included the average speed of the winning rider. Is it possible to bring it back? Save me time doing some spotty mental math.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Related Gallery suggestion

Your News articles, for example, this one:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lloyd-secures-climbers-green-jersey

Usually have a photo that goes with them. When you click on that photo in the article you go to a larger photo. Underneath that photo there's a link labeled "Related Gallery". When you go to that gallery, you find that just that one photo constitutes the "gallery" for that article.

Would it be a lot of trouble to redirect that (or any?) article's "Related Gallery" to the Event or Race Gallery? That way, in this example, I could see other photos of the podium and not have to leave the page, go the Races and Results Tab, gor to the race report, and then go click on photos there.