• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pre Giro d' Italia-thread!

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
It seems this is the season (while Froome does the double), that they are all throwing the kitchen sink at the tour.
It makes sense. The history of the Tour shows that it tends to be dominated by a single rider for a period of time (winning 3+) and there are few opportunities for the the rest. With current dominant rider either a) compromising himself doing the Giro or b) going be absent, this is a chance they have to take. Like when Merckx missed 73, or Hinault was injured in 83, when LeMond got shot 87-88 or Contador's team was excluded in 2008. Because who knows when the next dominant rider will come along - it certainly won't be a long wait.

I think Froome doing the Giro has little to do with it honestly. I don't think the field is any different except for Movistar really throwing all eggs on the TdF and that would've happened regardless of Froome I think.

Avoiding Froome would've been something in 2014-2016 mainly.

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
With 20 of 22 giro rosters confirmed, I think it is interesting to note, that AG2R, Bahrain and Movistar, are basically reserving all their best GT riders for the tour.

It seems this is the season (while Froome does the double), that they are all throwing the kitchen sink at the tour.

Well for Bahrain Pozzo is their second best GC rider. AG2R/Movi are going stage-hunting, nothing more. As I said before some WT squads will behave like a random ProConti team.

For the betters out there, you get 29.00 for Chaves as a winner. Thats a pretty good bet. If you don't want to play that risky, I think Chaves for a top-3 at 5.00 is a fine bet as well. He seems to be a bit underrated after what happened last year and has great support.

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
Re:

the chicken from T said:
Who do we think that besides Viviani has the most chance in the sprints; Marecko, Modolo Bennet van Poppel or maybe anyone else, like the young Ballerini?
Bennet didn´t really impressesd me at frankfurt, but I think besides the obvious domination of Viviani, van poppel modolo and bonifazio could be up there

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
With 20 of 22 giro rosters confirmed, I think it is interesting to note, that AG2R, Bahrain and Movistar, are basically reserving all their best GT riders for the tour.

In Movistar's case they are sending their 6th and 7th best GC riders to the Giro. They are also claiming this is for their riders to get GT experience. If that's the case then why exactly is Soler not on this roster. He may be their 4th/5th best GC rider (depending how you rank him and Amador), but he has a grand total of 1 GT race. Betancur has raced several and Fernandez has raced 2. If this is for experience shouldn't Soler be on this roster?

What's a GT without Lance? :D
https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5245731,00.html
Armstrong announced his visit to Israel and patronage of the race on his weekly podcast last week. "I was asked whether I intended to take part in the event, and the answer is yes. The opportunity to come to Israel and take part in such an iconic event is simply insane," he explained.

An initial inquiry by (newspaper) Yedioth Ahronoth, however, turned up the seven-time Tour de France winner was not invited to the race by any official entity, including the Giro's Israeli organizers, the Tourism Ministry or the Jerusalem municipality.

It appears, then, that Armstrong will visit Israel privately to cover the race live for his podcast.

Re: Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
Valv.Piti said:
Laplaz said:
Pozzato is not starting because of family problems. Turrin replaces him.
Just read, Giro ruined. I cant imagine how sad Daniel Friebe and Ciro Scognamilio are right now
And to think
Piccolo Principe
could have had the wildcard instead.
Yeah I'm still sad Cunego doesn't get his farewell Giro. One of the most underrated riders out there. The Lleyton Hewitt of cycling

TRENDING THREADS