• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Predict the GT winners

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win a GT?

• Thibaut Pinot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Honestly can't see how Talansky can be on that list, when guys like Fuglsang and Henao are not there. Anyway, Kreuziger can definitely win one, he showed great consistende this summer (through the whole spring season aswell). Quintana too and Uran maybe..
I do not think any of the dutch talents will ever win one. They lack consistency and a bit in the mountains.

Cance > TheRest said:
Honestly can't see how Talansky can be on that list, when guys like Fuglsang and Henao are not there.
The reason is very simple.
Talansky has 7th in Vuelta and 10th in TdF and he is 1 year younger than Henao, who only has 9th in Giro. So Talansky had more success in GT so far despite being younger. How would you discount him, then?

Fuglsang managed to be in top10 of GT for the first time at the age of 28. Talansky already have 2 top10 finishes at the age of 24. It's not unusual to expect him to be better than Fuglsang is now when he reaches 28.

Anderis said:
Talansky has 7th in Vuelta and 10th in TdF and he is 1 year younger than Henao, who only has 9th in Giro. So Talansky had more success in GT so far despite being younger. How would you discount him, then?

Fuglsang managed to be in top10 of GT for the first time at the age of 28. Talansky already have 2 top10 finishes at the age of 24. It's not unusual to expect him to be better than Fuglsang is now when he reaches 28.

Gesink already had 3 top 10 finishes in a GT, (never lower than 7th place, with 6th TDF as highlight) before 24... and he looks further away from winning a GT than ever at 27.

Just saying why that's not a good argument.
Hell, Cunego won a GT at super young age and now isn;'t even a climber anymore

He was never in contention for the win. He finished almost 5 minutes behind. (He did wait for Wiggins' rain farce once but gained time on the TTT and Montasio were nobody chased him.) His current level is not enough to win a GT (bar maybe a Vuelte with weak field after hard season for other top gt riders).

Kreuziger for example is pro about the same time, they are same age Tour Kreuziger>>>Giro Uran

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Just saying why that's not a good argument.
Hell, Cunego won a GT at super young age and now isn;'t even a climber anymore
Well, I'm not saying Talansky will for sure be the best of them, but based on facts, he deserves to be listed in poll, doesn't he?

And I think claiming that Cunego is not a climber is overreacting. He was 6th in Giro last year and 6th in TdF 2 years ago. He has had a worse season this year but it doesn't mean he is not a climber anymore.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
i don't believe richie will ever win a gt, no 3-week consistency, always a weak day

We haven't seen enough of him to make that judgement. He's been a little up and down even during his impressive results this year so he does have to work on his consistency but I'd be surprised if he had a terrible day in Giro '14.

I see him, Talansky and obviously Quintana as future GT winners.

EDIT - I also like Kwiatkowski's chances but we need to see more from him.

How can one predict gt winners if 5 of the 7 gt winners since 2 years and 1 month ago were guys who only a couple of years earlier no one would have down as gt winners.

Quintana and Talansky may win some gts in the next few years.

Or 2 3 years down the line we may be looking at those as top 10 riders in a gt scene dominated by, who the **** knows, Angel Madrazo, Geraint Thomas, Adriano Malori and Biel Kadri.

If it had been 1 or 2 surprise gt winners one could dismiss it as a one off, but 5 in such a short space of time, pure conicidence? If Horner can win a gt why for example cant Paolo Tiralongo, maybe next year take the Astana leadership into the Giro, put in some heroics and come away with the pink?

That list above isnt even that strong apart from Quintana. Apart from him i wouldnt be surprised if none of those riders ever won a gt.

Anderis said:

I'd also add that I think Talansky has some ''intangibles'' that others lack. Vaughters doesn't call him 'pitbull' for no reason. This guy is determined to reach the top.

The thing about Henao is that while in gts he has sucked, he has some of the qualities that make a good gt rider meaning that a transformation into a gt rider would require less of a transformation than others.

For example John Gadret in his first few attempts at the Giro showed the climbing but no one had him down as a gt rider because in the gc he wasnt finishing high, he was only doing it occasionally on stages.

But eventually he became a gt contender.

Scarponi is maybe another example, albeit not as good as Henao at mountains the start. Similar in that they were both originally better hill riders. But even when he started being a good mountain rider the first Giro he won the 2 stages, and it was only the next Giro that the overall gt ability came.

henao, has the climbing and that wont go away. Eventually maybe like the others hell improve the other bits and from then its a small step to gt contender.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesink already had 3 top 10 finishes in a GT, (never lower than 7th place, with 6th TDF as highlight) before 24... and he looks further away from winning a GT than ever at 27.
Sure, but you'd definitely include Gesink on a list like this prior to the last couple of years. Interestingly, you could have even used Schleck as an argument - so much success at an early age and many still don't consider him a GT winner.

The Hitch said:
That list above isnt even that strong apart from Quintana. Apart from him i wouldnt be surprised if none of those riders ever won a gt.

I'd argue that Purito is certainly a strong candidate. He could easily have 2 GT wins right now.

Anyway, I voted Nairo, Talansky and JRod.