• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Predict the GT winners

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win a GT?

• Thibaut Pinot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think JROD will eventually win a GT but next year the Vuelta may be hard with Contador there.

Gesink :) /Kwiatowski could be added to the list too- I voted for quite a few of the riders though :)

It will be interesting to see if JVDB can bounce back too.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
This is for next year, or? Probably not next year, but König can have shot. He can climb well and TT above average. Prone to ilnesses but.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
seabridge said:
btw, where is Rui Costa in the poll??

Costa might be capable of a top 10 if he works towards it and suffers through all 3 weeks trying to hang on with the favorites up the climbs as long as possible. But a overall win is stretching it a bit at this point IMO.

He'll have far more success if he sticks with doing what he was forced to do at this year's Tour, lose time somewhere then go for stages (a bit like LL Sanchez).

Dekker_Tifosi said:
i don't believe richie will ever win a gt, no 3-week consistency, always a weak day

Wtf are you on about. Richie Porte has never led a gt since he learned to climb? Where on earth did you get the idea that he will have bad days.
By your logic Quintana will never be able to contend in a gt because he sucked for the first 2 weeks in the 012 vuelta.

Oh wait, since then he's finished runner up in the tour.

And before you give me the sarcastic - how cn you compare a 22 yo with a 28 yo, who finished behind Quintana in the tour? Oh that's right, Joaquim Rodriguez. Same Joaquim Rodriguez who at the age of 33 was always seen as having bad days that would cost him a gt. Who then went on to have 1 bad day in 62 days of gt racing in the 2012 season and that was more a tactical bad day than a strengh bad day since he still beat the rest of the top 10.

And murito unlike Porte actually had gts ruined by bad days. Porte hasn't since he hasn't led one.

People need to learn to stop framing exact pictures of rider abilities in their minds. The gt scene is constantly changing. Riders are constantly improving/ getting worse or even experiencing mega transformations. You can't just rule people out on anything based on one performance and the chances are thay anyone who has displayed the climbing prowess Porte has can compete on gts. hes probably one of the top 5 climbers in the world now and we haven't even seen him lead a gt.

Same goes for people who dismiss froomes capabilities to win 1 day races, because oh, we havent seen him win 1 before. As if he hasn't proved everyone wrong before.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
He is old. Lost his chance at winning the vuelta this year. I suppose he might could win the giro next year but if mini et is serious about winning that then I don't think murito will be able to.

Porte hasn't really led a team in a GT (apart from the 2010 Giro, where he became a GC rider after he got some minutes thanks to a break). The pressure that comes with being a team leader of a big squad is something you have to take count of. I don't think Porte is able to win the Giro next year already, Purito is a classy rider who has to win a GT.

JRod didn't have a really bad day in this Vuelta, even with a though Tour in his legs, so that's promising for next year. He definitely belongs to the 5 best climbers in the world. And old doesn't excist, after some American grandpa won the Vuelta;)

(I hope mini is Porte;))

Arredondo said:
Porte hasn't really led a team in a GT (apart from the 2010 Giro, where he became a GC rider after he got some minutes thanks to a break). The pressure that comes with being a team leader of a big squad is something you have to take count of. I don't think Porte is able to win the Giro next year already, Purito is a classy rider who has to win a GT.

JRod didn't have a really bad day in this Vuelta, even with a though Tour in his legs, so that's promising for next year. He definitely belongs to the 5 best climbers in the world. And old doesn't excist, after some American grandpa won the Vuelta;)

(I hope mini is Porte;))

May not exist for Horner, but for the other gt riders of our era, Evans went stale at 35, ( would never have gotten near the podium if they had done the whole giro, by the same token Tommy Voeckler would have easily won the 2011 TDF). Samuel Sanchez at 35 is helpless too. Menchov retired at 35. Sastre was done at 33. Purito turns 35 next year. Can he continue his form. I dont know.

The Hitch said:
And murito unlike Porte actually had gts ruined by bad days. Porte hasn't since he hasn't led one.

People need to learn to stop framing exact pictures of rider abilities in their minds. The gt scene is constantly changing. Riders are constantly improving/ getting worse or even experiencing mega transformations. You can't just rule people out on anything based on one performance and the chances are thay anyone who has displayed the climbing prowess Porte has can compete on gts. hes probably one of the top 5 climbers in the world now and we haven't even seen him lead a gt.

Reading this brings me back to 2010 when I was saying I could see Porte contending for a GT podium in a few years once he'd had more seasoning (I also thought he could stand to lose a little weight). You certainly weren't the only one but I distinctly remember you always scoffing at his GT potential.

That said, I've certainly been wrong about riders and he still hasn't actually lived up to that potential even if it is in some part due to working for AC, Wiggo, and Froome.

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Talensky - not.
Very good consistancy but there always be better riders.
Mollema - maybe Vuelta
if he got an injury a month before TDF and instead riding tdf at 90% going for Vuelta.
purito - not
Maybe giro or vuelta next year but it is not gonne happen.
Jvdb2 - not.
Maybe a podium spot but there always be better riders.
Quintana.
Yes. Giro and vuelta.
Roche - not.
Always better riders.
Uran. -not.
Kreuziger.
Possible but Not likely. Maybe Giro.
T.J.- not
He can get podium spot in TDF with lots of flat tt and luck.
Pinot- not

not in the list.
porte - yes, but do not like because of clinic reasons.
Betancourt yes, Giro or Vuelta.
Gesink. Yes,
This is the toughest yes. He needs a big breakthrough win like Evans. Currently he looks cursed.

My vote goes for the four young guns - even TJVG. IMO they have too much talent and time to not win one really. I can accept that one or even two may never get a GT win (like Gesink) but unless they all focus on the TdF only it's a matter of time before the stars align.

Also voted for Purito because he can't keep f$&@ing up forever :rolleyes:

The Hitch's post earlier in the thread summed it up very well. These days there is almost no way to tell which 23 or 24 year olds will end up as likely GT winners, with the occasional exception of one who is already on the verge, like Quintana.

All of the younger riders in that list have better GC records at their age than most recent GT winners. Froome, Wiggins, Hesjedal, Cobo, Horner were all relative nobodies at the ages people like Talansky or Quintana are now. Most of them were nobodies even at the age Roche is now or at least less successful in GC terms than he is now.

I voted for Quintana and Talansky. Quintana is indisputable. Talansky I think have developed a lot this year with a decent performance in the Tour while he showed some real grit and determination in Paris-Nice.

He's a pretty underrated climber I think, while of course he's one of the best ITT'ers.

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Descender said:
People seem to forget Purito will be 35 by the time the next GT comes around.

I'm giving him one more year - assuming he does the Giro-Vuelta in 2014. I think he should win one of them.

He won't win the Tour now and I don't think he'll try - I think this year was about rounding out this palmares and he'll be happy with his podium in that respect.

Descender said:
And there's only one Horner.

Thankfully!

Betancur should also be on the list. I think he'll take at least one Giro or Vuelta...