• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey 2017 (2.UWT)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
Laplaz said:
Ulissi easy.
and leader

Stage
Clipboard.gif
Good to see that the Lombardia crash (blunt-force trauma) wasn't too bad for Dani Martinez, I was a bit surprised by the fact that they send him to this race after that crash, but it looks like he recovered pretty well.
I don't get why Mareczko is racing a small stage race in China instead of this race.

Easy for Ulissi. Good to see Konig clearly improving. It's horrible when you have to watch a rider try to come back from injury and struggle without showing any signs that he's on the way back. Bennett has a few results that show an inconsistent but real ability on a hilly course, but has never shown the ability to climb anything significant.

This would be more fun if Bennett was only allowed to use the small ring. I mean it's a good sign for him that he's reliably winning races where he's the clear favourite, but it's pretty boring watching sprints with only one proper World Tour sprinter.

To be fair to the other teams, they've whittled the group down to about 20 on late climbs on stages 3 and 5 trying to get rid of him. But there's little depth to the field here, so that isn't enough yo put him in any difficulty. In just about any other WT race, getting the group down to 20 on a hill would mean Bennet would be long gone.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Any chance of selection tomorrow on the cobbled climb?

There are no Sagan and GVA to attack though.

Last year the Istanbul stage went to the break, the year before to a late lone attack in the finish. But no, it probably won't create a selection. It might give Theuns or someone else a better shot at beating Bennett though, just by making it a bit less about top speed.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Not a good race IMHO. No competition.

Pretty much. You could hold this race five times back to back and every time the stages would go Bennett, Bennett, Bennett, Ulissi, Bennett. Bennett's just a faster sprinter than anyone else here and Ulissi is much better on that type of finishing climb than anyone else here. I'm mostly just hoping Theuns can win the uphill sprint tomorrow because I'm starting to feel sorry for him. A late attack, like Mas Bonet a couple of years ago would be fine too.

TRENDING THREADS