• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

(Presidential) Cycling Tour of Turkey [April 11th-April18th 2021]

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
After reading the newest blogarticle by Jon Knolle who's not the world champion himself but says they were riding along at a mild speed again, basically strolling, except for the sprint, I do wonder though whether, although the sprinting level itself is not too bad, the stages are very easy before that and the sprinters aren't empty in any way when they reach the final. That might be a special plus for Cavendish. (He still was clearly better this season than last year, anyway.)

Reactions: jmdirt
After reading the newest blogarticle by Jon Knolle who's not the world champion himself but says they were riding along at a mild speed again, basically strolling, except for the sprint, I do wonder though whether, although the sprinting level itself is not too bad, the stages are very easy before that and the sprinters aren't empty in any way when they reach the final. That might be a special plus for Cavendish. (He still was clearly better this season than last year, anyway.)

I think Cavendish proved in Le Samyn and Nokere Koerse that he doesn't need a very easy race (because he was able to follow moves on ride offensively, not because he managed to sprint well, which he didn't).

The crash looked very nasty and very concerning how the barriers didn't function properly. I think it was somewhat lucky that the inciting incident of the crash was away from the barriers (it looked like a touch of wheels from Phillipsen's leadout man as he filtered through the pack after he pulled off), as if it was directly adjacent to them then it could have been much, much worse.

Weird sprint by Philipsen. If he goes for it right away instead of looking back 3 times, the gap might've been too big for Cavendish to bridge. Strong one by the Polish champ as well.

He did the same thing on stage 2, where he also took a glance to the side when he started to sprint. Maybe he has studied Merlier too closely, or he should try get his leadout man to hold on a little bit longer.

Reactions: Sandisfan