• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Primož Roglič

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
or look at it this way. could the UCI stand the risk of actually catching someone (publicly) with motors at a big race? that would look just as bad for them and make the whole sport look farcical. if anyone has ever actually been caught in the pro peloton then it would've been quickly swept under the rug with possibly some kind of silent ban.
I think it takes a special kind of philosophy to be OK with motor doping. I don’t deny it exists, but I just can’t imagine who would use it especially among top riders to begin with. These are riders that made it to the top without a motor, clean or not, and then decided to use one. They would have to have some sort of axe to grind in order to justify it if they’ve already been winning at the highest level without that type of assistance.

Last edited:
I think it takes a special kind of philosophy to be OK with motor doping. I don’t deny it exists, but I just can’t imagine who would use it especially among top riders to begin with. These are riders that made it to the top without a motor, clean or not, and then decided to use one. They would have to have some sort of axe to grind in order to justify it if they’ve already been winning at the highest level without that type of assistance.
I agree. The legacy of a top rider that, for some reason decided to extend a career at that risk to a longer-time reputation is unlikely. Up and comers are cheap and the means to execute a plan when team mechanics are involved make it even less likely.
Time to move on.

money.

IMO, money doesn't mean it happens with top tier riders. In fact, if motor doping was ever employed by a rider in the UCI World Tour I'd be stunned. I think where it was discovered was in lower grades or women's racing?

Motor doping seems like a conspiracy theory to put down riders we don't like. And while it may seem easy to conceal a motor, its even easier to detect them - despite all the expensive x-ray machines etc. Look and you will find. You can't say this of traditional doping, particularly blood doping with passport cases sometimes taking years to resolve e.g. Cobo.

The consequences of being caught for motor doping for the rider, team and sport are far greater than being caught for all other forms of doping. Certainly such risk would not be taken by big money teams and their even bigger name big sponsors with billion dollar brands to protect.

No way do I believe Roglic could ever have resorted to motor doping.

IMO, money doesn't mean it happens with top tier riders. In fact, if motor doping was ever employed by a rider in the UCI World Tour I'd be stunned. I think where it was discovered was in lower grades or women's racing?

Motor doping seems like a conspiracy theory to put down riders we don't like. And while it may seem easy to conceal a motor, its even easier to detect them - despite all the expensive x-ray machines etc. Look and you will find. You can't say this of traditional doping, particularly blood doping with passport cases sometimes taking years to resolve e.g. Cobo.

The consequences of being caught for motor doping for the rider, team and sport are far greater than being caught for all other forms of doping. Certainly such risk would not be taken by big money teams and their even bigger name big sponsors with billion dollar brands to protect.

No way do I believe Roglic could ever have resorted to motor doping.

this is exactly what they want you to think. armstrongs doping was once also considered "conspiracy theory" too.

(FTR, I also don't think Roglic is/was motordoping, IMO the era in which that happened pre-dated his rise to prominence)

this is exactly what they want you to think. armstrongs doping was once also considered "conspiracy theory" too.

(FTR, I also don't think Roglic is/was motordoping, IMO the era in which that happened pre-dated his rise to prominence)
Who are "they"? Armstrong's team and deluded fans were the ones that accepted that "conspiracy theory". I'm surprised he didn't trademark the phrase "Witchhunt". So many other guilty as*holes use it he might have made a buck. The Armstrong saga is a great example of the negative financial and personal consequences for all involved.
Lower level riders, amateurs and douchebag Masters racers may well try it because the technology is available. Cheaper to dope and avoid detection and the consequences stay with the primary guilty party.