• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pro Cycling Manager - anyone played it

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Im about to do finnestre today or tomorrow.

How do you " go away with the dot"?

Do you attack first, get a gap and then put the dot or do you not attack and just drop them 1 by 1?

also what figure do you put the dot on? 80? 85?

And how far out do you attack?

On the descents do you keep the dot or go easier?

The dot on 64 - 65 on 78/79 climbing, be on the front when the climb starts, I mean literally be in second or third position and just go have your best domestique 'protect(dutch version :D)' you and do that and you'll see how quick they'll all either drop or don't react.

On descents it depends on who you are riding with, if its nibali with great skill then go so fast that your heartrate is on 166 ( thus you recuperate a little ) but still go hard in the descent :p.

Atleast thats how I ride on the finestre

ya i had machado protecting ricco from the base of the climb was just behind niemec who was pacing the peloton when the climb started, put ricco in 70 dot and slowly went away without the favourites reacting, when they finally did i upped the pace to 75 and a little later machado was cooked, then upped again to 80 or 85 for the last few k's of the climb and kept the gap over the favourites that away. kept the dot at 75 while descending(thats why nibali almost caught me) and did sestrieres all on 85 and some of it with the gel, the last 2 guys of the break were caught on the first 2 k's of sestrieres and i went past then as if they were standing still lol one of them was marcato iirc

the epic thing about the dot is that if you go away from the group that way the favourites most of the times won't react as you are not attacking and when they eventually start attacking each other( wasting a lot more energy then if they were using a steady pace like you) you already have a nice gap that you can manage pretty well. even if they are better climbers then you, when they reach you, if they do lol, they will be more tired then you and you should be able to at least keep their pace

Ok, so if you go dot 70 you will drop favourites. Interesting, I thought you would just pace them while wasting energy so always attacked first to get a gap.

Also how would having good domestiques help?

All but 1 of my riders in the Giro is 70+ mountain, and 5 of them are 76+ and yet I can't do anything with anyone but Rejano. The second I try something with someone else for 2 seconds, when I switch back to Rejano hes dropped.

If I just focus on Rejano then the others get dropped and come in full health 10 minutes down.

I can sometimes manage to keep 1 other rider up there with Rejano but the others get dropped, and they shouldnt because they have 76 + and Sagan at 72 is there until the end of the stage.

The Hitch said:
Ok, so if you go dot 70 you will drop favourites. Interesting, I thought you would just pace them while wasting energy so always attacked first to get a gap.

All but 1 of my riders in the Giro is 70+ mountain, and 5 of them are 76+ and yet I can't do anything with anyone but Rejano. The second I try something with someone else for 2 seconds, when I switch back to Rejano hes dropped.

If I just focus on Rejano then the others get dropped and come in full health 10 minutes down.

I can sometimes manage to keep 1 other rider up there with Rejano but the others get dropped, and they shouldnt because they have 76 + and Sagan at 72 is there until the end of the stage.

you must be doing something wrong tbh . . . but i can't really figure out what. have you reached the giro in good shape?

you won't drop the favourites thats why you go early while the domestiques are still doing the pace setting, its much harder to go away with the dot from a group of favourites then from a group with domestiques there because if there are domestiques they will be the ones doing the chasing first and they won't be able to follow your team leader(in my case ricco with 99 form) if there are only favourites unless you have the strongest climber the dot will(if well used) make you able to keep up with a group that you wouldn't be able to do if you were responding to acceleration and working with the group setting the pace and will also allow you to climb better then guys who are a little better then you by the end of the climb

Parrulo said:
you must be doing something wrong tbh . . . but i can't really figure out what. have you reached the giro in good shape?

They are all on form. Sella for example, when he was the other person on which I was concentrating, came 4th on Zoncolan, but the next day I was focusing on Sirpa and Rujano so him and the others get dropped but they are not actually low on health. They just get dropped. If I dont want them to get dropped I have to put them on relay and then they easily move forward in the group, but I have too many riders to concentrate on and am usually looking at Rujano and before I know it they are dropped.

you should only focus on your team leader tbh anything else doesn't matter, at least thats what i do when i am going for GC. have some fodder guys protect your leader and second strongest guy until they get dropped then move your second strongest guy to protect your leader till he can't do it anymore(always using the dot ofc) thats what i do

also next season is looking good for me, the shack has a mighty ****ty team for the classics so i hired haussler and boom for the cobbles and valverde and dekker for the hilly ones so i will actually get to play the classics next year instead of quick sim them all and only getting a top 5 in fleche with horner as a significant result . . .

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

domestiques are super helpful.
I ussually have a leader and one or two guys on a free role i try to keep a high place with.

But the majority of the team will work for one guy. I ussually have 3-4 just for water carrying, and if i need to bridge to leaders when they do a stupid attack, so i make them realy when needed. a couple guys for protecting my leader all day (ussually change before final climb). I try to keep my entire team at the front and have the helpers at a high dot so they stay near the front (generally get a good placing with this too... not so hard to have entire team in top 50 in GT without trying to do so, as long as they are all decent climbers +70).

But I always make sure I have a super domestique for my leader (poor machado had to give up his aspirations in my 3rd season -- came 4th and 5th in giro with kelderman and mollema -- 2nd at tour with mollema and 1st and 2nd with dekker and kelderman.. was a ridicilious hilly course) on the final climb, to be with him until I attack (follow other leaders) or try the dot getaway.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
both kinda stagnated in my 3rd season, tho costa almost has 80 hills i think. Cant remember exactly been a while since I've played it (after that crash on the 31st of dec)

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I do understand this, when I play witha good team I generally skip heaps of smaller races (just use for form building). Takes way too long otherwise, and personally I mainoly enjoy GTs in the game.

I'm in a dire financial situation, so have to race pretty much everything to get as much money as I can.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I'm in a dire financial situation, so have to race pretty much everything to get as much money as I can.

yeh the budget is a joke on that game, i fixed that (i dont ussually cheat in games, but taht was ruining it for me) IMO winning every race made the game more unrealistic then having a reasonable budget even if i did do it 'behind the scenes'.

soooooo damn it

there i was hiring haussler because he only had 80 on the cobbles and would make it a challenge to actually win the monuments with him and hiring valverde because i thought he would only have like 81 tops at hills due to his ban so i didn't even looked at his stats. . . turns out he has 84 at hills lol the ardennes are going to be boring next year <_<

on a good side note i managed to get rid of leipheimer and zubeldia this year so the team looks a bit less like a house for old people.

horner mcwen and kloden are next in line :p

Ferminal said:

Yeah that made it more fun for me.

It meant even the intermediate sprints at Settimana internazionale di Coppi e Bartali were important as they are $500 each and I would spend lots of time getting into breaks and fighting for those sprints which is actually quite fun and different to fighting for overall or stages.

Win 3 or 4 of those in a stage + the mountain money at $300 for first and you get $2000 which is a lot when your in dept fighting for every dollar.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
is the financial thing really that hard even with a pro tour team on pcm2011?

i dunno about the original db but on the daily peloton i had a pretty average custom team, poels was the stand out rider and despite winning about 80% of the months races I was still broke after feb. I couldn't even hire any decent trainers, it sucked hard. DT said it was some bug or f**k up or something.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
i dunno about the original db but on the daily peloton i had a pretty average custom team, poels was the stand out rider and despite winning about 80% of the months races I was still broke after feb. I couldn't even hire any decent trainers, it sucked hard. DT said it was some bug or f**k up or something.

oic

that sucks big time then

my face when contador put 2 and a half minutes into the second placed rider(kloden) in the grenoble itt alone

tumblr_lixw081mse1qdl41d.jpg

i still managed to finish second in the tour with kloden by having a great TTT and itt and managing to top 5 all mountain stages with kloden. every1 else had at least 1 bad day in the mountains and i was lucky enough to be average at all of them and having +5 on itt day where i passed both schlecks, samu, basso and scarponi on the overall(everything was very close together cept contador who was already 3 minutes ahead by the time trial =/)

Parrulo said:
my face when contador put 2 and a half minutes into the second placed rider(kloden) in the grenoble itt alone

tumblr_lixw081mse1qdl41d.jpg

i still managed to finish second in the tour with kloden by having a great TTT and itt and managing to top 5 all mountain stages with kloden. every1 else had at least 1 bad day in the mountains and i was lucky enough to be average at all of them and having +5 on itt day where i passed both schlecks, samu, basso and scarponi on the overall(everything was very close together cept contador who was already 3 minutes ahead by the time trial =/)

nice 2nd place, you beat andy and samu? well done

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
A very close Vuelta 2014 (on the 2011 Vuelta route) between Quintana and Schleck somewhat ruined in the last two stages where there were a lot of crashes in the final. Quintana held the jersey for the whole last 2 weeks but only had 35 seconds lead before Schleck started his Gesink-like inability to stay on his bike.

pcm0067.png

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Paris-Nice
Rather **** by most my riders but the two main riders were riding into form. Almost got a top 10 with Coppel but he bombed on the last day, Kreuziger managed 10th. Moncoutie won over Voeckler and Contador. Rolland got the KOM.

Tirreno-Adriatico
Thanks to a rofl of a TT (where Canc still won by other a minute), EBH and Taaramae got 1st and 2nd respectively in GC, everyone else performed **** but managed to grab the KOM with TJVG and EBH cleaned up the Points jersey as well. EBH in good form for the classics hopefully.

Has anyone else experienced to have young riders with tons of stars simply not developing? I found a ridiculously talented scouted rider last season who more or less has 6 stars in everything, yet he hasn't improved 1 single stat in more than 1 year of gametime. I even bought a top class trainer for him...:confused: